PDA

View Full Version : full wadcutter for 45ACP

JSH
12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I would like to ask for some help here. I would like to try some wadcutters in my 625. I have looked at several different light SWC and bought a few hundred to try. I don't think they will shoot as well as I want as the bearing surface is so short. So I think a full wadcutter may make better use of th length. I am thinking somthing like a 160-185. I don't want anything heavier as I could just go to a traditional type boolit.
I would buy some if you have them cast up or would be willing to lease/rent a mould to cast a few with.
Thanks
Jeff

Kraschenbirn
12-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Have never worked up loads for one of the newer 625s but have owned both a 25-5 and a 1955 Target at different times and neither...'specially the 1955...shot well using cast bullets with short bearing surfaces. Never ran acrross a full WC mould...and none appear to be currenly catalogued by Lyman, RCBS, Lee, etc..but got good results with a hard-cast 225 gr truncated cone over either Unique or AA #5.

Bill

Dale53
12-19-2007, 01:22 AM
My 625-8 shoots wonderfully well with 185-200 gr SWC (Saeco #68 and H&G #130). It just doesn't get much better than that.

Dale53

EDK
12-19-2007, 03:10 AM
I am having a real good time with the 200 grain double ended 44 wad cutter mould from GLL. They make a lovely hole in the targets and are at least as accurate as the 200 and 240 Lyman Cowboy boolits I was using, probably more so.

I wanted one of the SAECO full wadcutter moulds in 45 caliber for years...should have gotten one while GAR was still in business in Jersey 'way back when. I know now that I'd have loved it in my 625s...I might even have bought 45 Convertible Ruger Black Hawks and Vaqueros. I have a six cavity H&G 68 mould and used to crank the h--- out of it when I was shooting Government models and then 645s and 625s

Seems like someone mentioned Penn Bullets as a source of the 45 full wadcutters. You might also see if Springfield ordered any spares on his 45 Slims group buy--it's a 45 caliber, about 170 grainer; looks more like a truncuated cone to me. I've got one of the look-alike 44 Slims, it's good...but then I got the full wadcutter mould and you can guess what I'm shooting 40 or 50 rounds of every day..weather/day light permitting. Grafs show the 45 Saeco, but its about 225. Look at some of the other Saecos in the Graf catalog and then wait for it to be delivered..unless your luck improves and they have one.

Good luck...I've been down this road a few times. Sometimes nothing goes right and other times you can't screw up if you wanted to!

:Fire: :redneck:

fourarmed
12-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Jeff, closest I can come is the 452389, which you are welcome to use.