PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on making my 1917 Enfield sportier

Sagebrush7
02-23-2014, 05:17 PM
I have the sporter 5 shot stock. Who can make a flat trigger guard floor plate? I guess I need the after market 5 shot trigger? Do you cut the cartridge box down or buy after market? I can do the glass bedding and stock work. Anybody with past knowledge of sporterizing a 1917 Enfield would be very helpful. James

Huffmanite
02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Have a 1917 sporter with the flat trigger guard plate and another sporter 1917 with the bent military one. My flat one was originally a military bent one, that someone had cut at the bend and rewelded to straighten it. As to the different magazine boxes, never compared the boxes in my two 1917s, just assumed they were the same and my stocks were different thicknesses. Darn, now its something I may have to check when I get a chance.

Sagebrush7
02-23-2014, 10:35 PM
The sporter stock is thinner. Check on Brownells website. They sell triggers for a 5 shot and 6 shot 1917. My military stocked rifle holds six 30-06 rounds in the magazine. So I took for granite to drop it in the new stock I would need a 5 shot trigger and a flat trigger guard. Don't know if that is true or not. Research has revealed that several company's converted the 1917 to hunting rifles and someone might still have a flat trigger guard. Missed one on E Bay that went for big bucks.

JHeath
02-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Have you already ground off the sight ears? I was fortunate to have a surface grinder for that job.

The Remington Model 30 was an off-the-shelf sporter 1917. If you stumble across Model 30 parts they will probably fit, but the M30 is not too commonly encountered. All but the early Model 30s were cock-on-opening I think.

A-Square built tremendous rifles on 1917 actions. Might want to look at those for inspiration. I think A-Square folded a couple of years ago (?).

If you get ambitious, turn it into a .416 Rigby. Is that sporty enough? It used to be a common conversion because the 1917 was the only action long enough for .416, except for expensive magnum-length Mauser actions.

Sagebrush7
02-24-2014, 12:50 AM
The ears have been ground off and drilled for a #11 weaver base. I would like to keep it an 30-06 for I have plenty of commercial brass. I am to old for the big boomers. Gone through that phase with .458 Win magnum, .375 H&H, and .338 win mag in a synthetic stock. My current brain shaker is a 45/70 1895 Marlin SS lever action. Its painful enough to shoot with hot loads.

Have you already ground off the sight ears? I was fortunate to have a surface grinder for that job.

The Remington Model 30 was an off-the-shelf sporter 1917. If you stumble across Model 30 parts they will probably fit, but the M30 is not too commonly encountered. All but the early Model 30s were cock-on-opening I think.

A-Square built tremendous rifles on 1917 actions. Might want to look at those for inspiration. I think A-Square folded a couple of years ago (?).

If you get ambitious, turn it into a .416 Rigby. Is that sporty enough? It used to be a common conversion because the 1917 was the only action long enough for .416, except for expensive magnum-length Mauser actions.

Sagebrush7
03-01-2014, 01:03 AM
My 1917 Enfield sport stock came in . Who will sell me a flat trigger guard or trade? HELP!

Huffmanite
03-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Haven't checked in quite awhile, but you might want to visit EBAY and do a search for Trigger Guard. Used to see a flat 1917 guard on it periodically.

Hardcast416taylor
03-04-2014, 04:33 PM
I always had a friend cut and reweld the "bent" floor plate frame on my `17 Enfields. I bought magazines from Numrich that were alerady made for a 5 shot set up. I installed Timney triggers that were designed for the 5 shot conversion. Both the rifles that I sportered were already "Bubbafied". Both were made up into .338/06. I farmed out the grinding of the rear sight to a gunshop that did a nice job, then drilled and tapped for a scope.Robert

opos
03-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I have an Enfield that was sporterized and sold by Sears..it's not a 30 Remington but sort of looks like one..it's a Winchester..they were one of several rifles (Mauser, Model 70 and the Enfield) that Sears sold back in the "day"..it' has a blind box magazine and no floor plate at all...it holds 4 rounds...super nice shooter and a very "trim" stock...Back in the 50's I built my "deer rifle" out of an Eddystone...had a Fajen stock and had the cut and welded floor plate..as I recall (I had a friend do it) it was not a big job..but I'm not a welder and he was..hope the pics are of interest.

Sagebrush7
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
OPOS,thanks for the nice pictures and all you guys for posting suggestions. Parts are coming together thanks to the members of this forum. I can post some picture when I get this rifle put together. A great suggestion I just receive is to mount Burris Signature Zee Rings because they can be adjusted with internal rings of different sizes. Have most of you guys used high rings or modified the bolt handle? Coming together, Thanks again James

uscra112
03-07-2014, 05:59 AM
See if you can turn up Alvin Linden's article on reworking the 1917. Circa 1935, I think, and it has been the paradigm for every gunsmith since. Might be on the web somewhere. I moved house when I retired, and can't find anything anymore, or I'd offer you a copy.

flounderman
03-07-2014, 07:47 AM
I had a friend that used the Enfield action on some top of the line custom builds. He used an o3 Springfield triggerguard, with a lengthened tang, and shortened the bolt release, and recontoured the rear of the receiver wall. He also changed the bolt handle, either by forgeing straight or welding on a new one.I cut the magazine box down to fit by cutting the bottom off and cut the trigger down until it clears. You can, use the bent triggerguard, cut the box down and inlet the bottom metal into the bottom of the stock. The front tang will be recessed and you will need to cut the bolts shorter and shorten the trigger. There might be a few on here that knew Don Weide from Lancaster Wisconsin. Don was a master and a perfectionist, and the rifles he built on the 1917 were things of beauty and you really had to look to identify the action as a 1917 originally.

Sagebrush7
03-10-2014, 06:37 PM
See if you can turn up Alvin Linden's article on reworking the 1917. Circa 1935, I think, and it has been the paradigm for every gunsmith since. Might be on the web somewhere. I moved house when I retired, and can't find anything anymore, or I'd offer you a copy.
Alvin Linden books are the cats meow. Best price I found was a reprint with all three volumes at $250.00. He is noted by gunsmiths as the reference to go to! Still looking for his articles.The 1917 is real dirty not sure that all the cosmoline was completely removed. The stuff coming out of the barrel after a overnite soak does not look like copper or lead. Maybe the rust is lifting up. The barrel is stamped W 7-18, been around a long time. I bet it has a lot of tales if it could talk! My flat trigger guard came in from a fine member here. Going to blue it myself and see how it turns out. The barrel is a very dark blue.

Reg
03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Get Roy Dunlaps book, Gunsmithing. Covers about all the aspects of what you can do with a "17".
The flat trigger guard is a snap for anyone who has any knowledge of welding at all. Dunlaps book will show you how to cut down that magazine box as well as the trigger. Also how to make a simple adjustable trigger out of the factory. You can cut off the knob of the bolt, straighten the shank then reweld that knob back on ( see--- the hole was good for something !! ) then reshape it like a pre 64 M-70.
These rifles were strong as a army mule and weighed about the same but many have been made into the best grade sporters.

PS

Using the 1903 Springfield trigger guard really slimmed these rifles up. Once upon a time all commercial stockmakers offered blanks for most conversions, the 5 and 6 shot , as well as the Springfield guard version as well but not sure where you would go now.

Echo
03-13-2014, 01:57 PM
I have a 'Bubba'ed' 1917 - ears off, stock cut down to sporter length. Figured 5 -06's was too many, so had this one re-barreled to 35 Whelen, and put a Timney trigger on it, along with a scope. I don't figure on doing anything else to it - well, maybe a good mesquite stock. But did manage to shoot a good 5-shot group (Lyman 358315 over 18.5 grs 2400).

Honesty prevails - 25 yard group.