PDA

View Full Version : subsonic .38/.357 t/c contender

MOHunter
02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Hello folks, I have a 10" .357 t/c contender...I have shot subsonic handloads using 148 gr full wadcutters and 158 gr SWC out of this barrel with various degrees of accuracy.. (using unique and bullseye)....I have the barrel with the large "forcing cone type chamber"....Has anyone had much luck with subsonic loads with this type of chamber using lead round balls or any other light lead bullet? I am trying to find the most accurate, cheap to shoot load that is quiet...Any thoughts? Thanks!

timspawn
02-23-2014, 04:54 PM
I have had great success with 38spl cases using 4.5 grains of W231 and a 125grn flat nose cast (Lee mold I think) in an H&R Handi Rifle. Quiet, no recoil and very accurate.

GBertolet
02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
I had an unused #3 Ruger in 22 Hornet, that I rebarreled to a 24" barrel .357 Magnum. I shoot subsonic loads out of mine. 3.7 gr of Bullseye with a Saeco 382 @ 160 gr, giving 982 fps from 38 special cases. In the 357 case I use 4.0 gr of Bullseye with the same bullet, giving 1075 fps. Both shoot 5 shot groups around 1 inch at 50 yards. Both loads a really quiet, considering what they are. When the weather breaks, I would like to try some 148 gr WC, with the traditional 2.7 gr of Bullseye in 38 cases, and see how they perform. I believe can leave the ear muffs at home. With any of these loads, a pound of Bullseye will go a long way.

MOHunter
02-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the input. I read all the old posts here from this forum and a lot from other forums as well. I just wondered if anyone had the same type of t/c barrel and chamber as mine. I have used these loads in revolvers before and got same results, around 2" around 25 yards. I was hoping for better from the t/c. But I guess I should keep trying, because it's cheap and fun! Thanks

timspawn
02-24-2014, 11:16 AM
My H&R has a very long chamber. A 357 MAX case almost chambers. There has to be a severe jump for the bullet from a 38 SPL case.

seaboltm
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I have an 8" contender with the forcing cone style chamber. 2.7 grains of bullseye and a 148 wadcutter in a 38 special case clocked at 746 fps. That is very subsonic.

MOHunter
02-24-2014, 09:20 PM
seaboltm, was this load accurate for you?....size of groups ? I had loaded 3.0 and 4.0 grains of bullseye with 148 gr waddcutter in .357 brass and got the around 2" groups at 25 yards....Thanks

Lonegun1894
02-25-2014, 03:11 AM
I have one two 10" .357 Mag barrels. My "proper" throated one has irons on it, and is less picky than the "forcing cone" chamber also shoots great though, and I have scoped that one, but it seems to prefer the bullets a bit harder and at higher velocity. I have some doubts about a barrel as small in caliber as a .357 and as short as a 10" having the internal volume to actually allow it to be quiet without some form of suppressor. For example, I have been unable so far to develop a load quiet enough for this .357 barrel, or even my 10" .44 Mag barrel that is quiet enough for backyard pest control. However, I have a load for my 22" H&R .44Mag that sounds like a pelletgun or .22 CB Cap, which is allowed by the extra internal volume provided by the extra length. The load I mentioned that is quiet in the H&R, sounds like a HV .22LR out of a pistol when fired in the 10" TC barrel. Does that help any? I'm not giving up by any means, and have some more ideas that I am planning on trying, but haven't done so yet successfully, so the testing is still ongoing at least for me. Don't give up and hopefully you and I will both accomplish this. If it helps any, my best results with the proper throat are with anything sized to .358", while the forcing cone chamber likes them a bit bigger, .359-.360", depending on which of my molds I use to load it with. I don't know why, as both barrels slug the exact same, but for some reason it seems to work. This made the difference between 3-4" @25yds with the forcing cone to 4-5"@100yds, just changing the size up a .001/.002". I still need a lot of practice with this pistol, cause some days I get 1.5-2"@100, so know the gun is capable, but the vast majority of the time, I am not.

Larry Gibson
02-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Has anyone had much luck with subsonic loads with this type of chamber using lead round balls or any other light lead bullet? I am trying to find the most accurate, cheap to shoot load that is quiet

I would suggest the Lee 358-105-SWC cast of very soft alloy (40 - 1), lightly TL'd in LLA and sized .360 or as cast. Load over 1 gr Bullseye and in crease .2 at a time untill the loads gets loader than you want. That will probably be as close to the 4 criteria as you will get. This has always been the best "plinking & small game " combination in the several Contender 357s I've had. Load in 357 cases and not crimp needed.

Larry Gibson

MOHunter
02-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks Larry....and all the other posters too!....Cheap and quiet (and accurate) low powered loads, means I can get more trigger time closer to home.....and keep the garden free from raiders!