PDA

View Full Version : RCBS bottom pour pot

Ron
09-03-2005, 06:55 AM
A friend of mine has decided to stop casting and gave me about 100 lbs of lead, a couple of melting pots and an RCBS bottom pour pot as shown in attached photo.
Personally I see this pot as a bit of history and don't see me using it. However if I did sometime need to use it, how is one supposed to apply heat to it? The only way I can think of would be by use of a blow torch. Has anyone got other suggestions.

Regards,

Ron

FESTINA LENTE

powderburnerr
09-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Ron your pic wont open up for me ..... Dean

buck1
09-04-2005, 03:00 AM
It wont open for me either. But Rcbs did make some that used a LPG tourch to heat them............Buck

Ron
09-04-2005, 04:08 AM
Sorry about the photo, it won't open for me either. I have even reduced it to less than 25kb and it still won't open. Maybe this is a job for the IT expert who holds our board together.

Re the pot, I think your right Buck in that a gas torch would do the trick.

Ron

Buckshot
09-04-2005, 06:02 AM
..........Ron your photo has to be hosted on the web someplace and accessable. Some personal photo websites have security issues, or you have to set the perameters to access a photo. ALso, some photo hosting places have a time limit the address is good for. Possibly you know this, but if not there it is.

After your website creates an address for the photo ,you cut and paste it into your post and add to the front and to the rear of the address. Or create the * and paste the address in between them, where the asterick is (of course there will be NO asterick there! Finish your post and then submit it. The photo should then appear in the post.

.............Buckshot

Johnch
09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I used to be able to see the pic .
But I have no idea how it worked other than holding a torch on it.

Johnch

waksupi
09-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Buckshot and others, the page is set up now, so you can load a picture directly from your computer, without an online host.
I see Willy tweaked my limit this week, and I am not able to upload at all at the time.
But, give it a try, to see if it works for you.

StarMetal
09-04-2005, 11:18 AM
For all those who couldn't view the photo I'll tell you what it looked like and I believe this will clarify the confusion of how to use it. It looks exactly like the liner out of one of RCBS's current bottom pour electric furnace, EXCEPT thicker then that stainless liner they currently use. Yup, looks like one just pulled it out of the furnace. Also instead of being a straight cylinder it's tapered being narrow at the bottom. At first when I saw it I thought that is what it was, a stripped down current model. Honestly, I can see no way of heating and using it. There must be something missing.

Joe

Maven
09-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Ron, Joe et al: I was able to open the photo yesterday, but not today. Be that as it may, I think Potter also made a pot like yours. For all I know, RCBS may have bought the Potter design. Both were to be used with an external heat source, as Ron suggested.

PatMarlin
10-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Is this the pot you guys are talking about?

This pot was so old no one at RCBS had seen one.

This is what I use. It works fantastic, and I love it! More pics on heating it to follow if you would like... :lol: