PDA

View Full Version : cheapest shooting

JohnSmiles
12-18-2007, 07:17 PM
This has probably been mentioned before, but for those looking at another long, cold and boring mostly INDOORS winter, the cheapest 'bang' available is a .22 pellet sitting on a bullet-LESS rimfire.
The .22 rimfire can be purchased on sale for about 2 cents a round, which is cheaper than primers or purcussion caps.
The bullet can be bent out of the casing with your fingers with some effort, or a pair of pliers with very little effort.
Dump out the powder.
Let me repeat:
DUMP OUT THE POWDER!

:groner:
I have a little Beretta with a flip up barrel that works wonders with this set up.
drop a pellet in, push in the empty casing, and fire!
Exercise due caution of course.
This primer powered pellet will shoot THROUGH 4 thicknesses of cardboard AND 1 sheet of 5/8 drywall . . . .

[smilie=w:

. . so it could cause serious injury if you are careless

:coffee:

armoredman
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Those are sold commercially as 22 BB Cap, or CB cap, with a conical bullet, for indoor gallery guns, Still exercise all safety precautions. I haven't ever tried those before, though.

pa_guns
12-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi

Use good ventilation. Just about everything they use for priming compounds is nasty.

Bob

floodgate
12-19-2007, 02:08 AM
armoredman:

WhenI was a kid in the '40's, we called them ".22 short-n-shorts", 'cause they were shorter 'n .22 Shorts.

floodgate

44man
12-19-2007, 09:22 AM
I remember using the old, foreign BB caps with soft cases. They always swelled and stuck in the chambers.
I think CCI makes all the little loads yet. A lot easier then prying out bullets.

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I think CCI makes all the little loads yet. .....

Hi

They do, but the price is kinda steep.

Bob

crowbuster
12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Johnsmiles,

First i want to say howdy, i'm about 20 miles south of you. And not to jack your thread but we got lots-o-coyotes that need killin, winter need not be boring, catch up on your loadin, shoot some crows, roust out some rabbits, or just go check out the sportsmans warehouse, surly you can find allot of stuff you didn't know ya needed, I always do. Have you been to the indoor range on concord? Just wondered how it was.

C.B.

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi

Actually now that I look at the location ....

There used to be a couple of abandoned quarries south of town that were pretty good for shooting outdoors all time of year. That's data from 30 years ago, but it may still be true.

Bob

carpetman
12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
For this type shooting they have this brand new deal called an air gun. You dont have to worry about ventilation as there is no combustion. You dont need a primer. No powder. Just a pellet. They now make them that are faster than a .22 short. In .17 cal 1100 fps or so.

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi

For that matter, there's Airsoft. That way you don't need a trap, and there's no lead in the air.

Bob

Bret4207
12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Agree with Uncle Ray, get a pellet gun. The high dollar jobs are nice, but a $50.00 job will work fine.

KCSO
12-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't...
If I want to practice with a gun it is for a particular gun and a certain match. I want the same gun I will be at the line with. That is why I have adapters for most of my match guns, so I can shoot them indoors for practice. I have both 22 rimfire and pellet adapters for my 45-70's and my Krags. A 4 pound bb gun is poor substitute for a 9 1/2 pound Sharps.

corvette8n
12-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Save your fingers I buy Aguila Colbri by the brick from Cheaper than dirt or midway usa or Natchez shooters supply.
$15-$20 a brick.
Comes in two flavors reg. and super
reg. is about 350fps super is about 500fps.

KCSO
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Here is my chamber adapter for my Sharps rifle. The adapter uses a chunk of leftover 22 liner and a firformed case. The lp primer pushes a 22 pellet at 700 fps, and the unit shoots 1" low at 50 feet. If you take time to orient the unit when you slide it in yo can cut a ragged hole at 50 feet. The combination ram rod and primer punch is made from a chunk of old cleaning rod. The flash hole in the case has been drilled out to 3/32".

400cor-bon
12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
the colibri are really quiet. quiet as a pellet gun in a bolt action rifle.
they wont cycle semiautos, but do work as single shots

and they can kill tree rats on the deck :Fire:

400cor-bon
12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Here is my chamber adapter for my Sharps rifle. The adapter uses a chunk of leftover 22 liner and a firformed case. The lp primer pushes a 22 pellet at 700 fps, and the unit shoots 1" low at 50 feet. If you take time to orient the unit when you slide it in yo can cut a ragged hole at 50 feet. The combination ram rod and primer punch is made from a chunk of old cleaning rod. The flash hole in the case has been drilled out to 3/32".

that is slick! nice work

Bullshop Junior
12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I have used the CCI CB longs. Not much power. I shot one into a wood block, and the base of the bullet was sticking out, But they cost about $5.00 for 100.:shock:
[smilie=f:
Daniel/BS Jr.

waksupi
12-19-2007, 10:01 PM

I had one of those, for my old business rifle. I had been up the mountain shooting grouse with it one day. Came back home, and leaned it in it's usual corner of the cabin. Later that evening, I heard a pack rat under the cabin. I went outside,, opened the crawl space, and spotted him with the flashlight. I got a good sight on him, and squeezed the trigger.

I had failed to remember I had put the usual 500 gr. load back in the chamber before setting it behind the door. That particular load is rather loud, and exciting, when set off in an enclosed space. And, I don't know if I got the pack rat, or not.

carpetman
12-19-2007, 10:18 PM
KCSO-- A 4 pound bb gun is a poor substitute.----An RWS model 48/52,which is the gun I spoke of weighs 8 pounds 13 ounces---without scope and mounts.

Typecaster
12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Back in the days when primers were cheap, I would just press a .22 pellet into a primed K-Hornet case for indoor practice in an old Highwall. The pellet hitting the bullet trap made more noise than the primer.

400cor-bon
12-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I had failed to remember I had put the usual 500 gr. load back in the chamber before setting it behind the door. That particular load is rather loud, and exciting, when set off in an enclosed space. And, I don't know if I got the pack rat, or not.

thats funny!
if the bullet didnt get him, the muzzle blast surely did!

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi

The real question has yet to be asked:

Was there anybody sleeping in the room above at the time?

Bob

KCSO
12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Carpetman, I'm not dumping on pellet guns...
Yes there are some nice pellet guns and if I wanted to practice a match shooting pellet guns that is what i would choose. There is nothing better to teach sighting and trigger squeeze. But once you have the basics the closer you can get to the gun you are going to shoot the better the practice. When I shot PPC I used Speer plastics in a K38. Now that I shoot mostly muzzleloader and Sharps i find Ii get the best practice using the Sharps with the adapter. I have the same weight, the same hang, the same set triggers. In my 45 I shoot a Ceirner conversion unit and CB's, that way I get the practice with the same trigger pull and safety. Back in the 70's I did a lot of practice indoors with a (spelling) Feinwerkebau 177 pellet rifle so I can appreciate what you can learn form one of these.

Waksupi,
In about 1972 I was doing a lot of quickdraw practice with my K 38 and Speer plastics. I came home one night for lunch and caught my wifes cat eating doghnuts on the kitchen table and I grabbed up the practice gun and snapped a shot at the cat's a$$. I hit that sucker square behind the ear and dropped him like a shot, dead as a Turd, Oh my God!!! What to do, what to do... I did the manly thing, I took him next door and put him under the back wheels of my brother in laws car. He came over the next morning and apologised to my wife for runnnning over her cat.

Scrounger
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Quote:" Waksupi,
In about 1972 I was doing a lot of quickdraw practice with my K 38 and Speer plastics. I came home one night for lunch and caught my wifes cat eating doghnuts on the kitchen table and I grabbed up the practice gun and snapped a shot at the cat's a$$. I hit that sucker square behind the ear and dropped him like a shot, dead as a Turd, Oh my God!!! What to do, what to do... I did the manly thing, I took him next door and put him under the back wheels of my brother in laws car. He came over the next morning and apologised to my wife for runnnning over her cat."

Never, never, ever, get between a cop and his doughnuts!

waksupi
12-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Now, Jim, I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Gun-adian
12-21-2007, 01:34 AM
I like cats...

But that was friggin' hilarious!!!

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
A True cat sneeze load!!!
Carpetman, I'm not dumping on pellet guns...
Yes there are some nice pellet guns and if I wanted to practice a match shooting pellet guns that is what i would choose. There is nothing better to teach sighting and trigger squeeze. But once you have the basics the closer you can get to the gun you are going to shoot the better the practice. When I shot PPC I used Speer plastics in a K38. Now that I shoot mostly muzzleloader and Sharps i find Ii get the best practice using the Sharps with the adapter. I have the same weight, the same hang, the same set triggers. In my 45 I shoot a Ceirner conversion unit and CB's, that way I get the practice with the same trigger pull and safety. Back in the 70's I did a lot of practice indoors with a (spelling) Feinwerkebau 177 pellet rifle so I can appreciate what you can learn form one of these.

Waksupi,
In about 1972 I was doing a lot of quickdraw practice with my K 38 and Speer plastics. I came home one night for lunch and caught my wifes cat eating doghnuts on the kitchen table and I grabbed up the practice gun and snapped a shot at the cat's a$$. I hit that sucker square behind the ear and dropped him like a shot, dead as a Turd, Oh my God!!! What to do, what to do... I did the manly thing, I took him next door and put him under the back wheels of my brother in laws car. He came over the next morning and apologised to my wife for runnnning over her cat.

Larry Gibson
12-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I've shot wax bullets, plastic bullets, pellets over primers in regular cases, pellets over cases adapted for shotgun primers, RBs, pistol bullets in rifles and most any other type of projectile shooting for fun. Most were on the cheap too. However, got to agree with Carpetman; get a good air rifle, especially a single cock springer. No muss, no fuss, no hassle, just cock, load and shoot. Other than the pellet there is no additional cost for cases, primers or powder and the time otherwise reloading is spent shooting. A quality air rifle can be had for a not unreasonable price and will last a lifetime if properly used and maintained. I stress "quality" here as the cheaper ones are just that; cheap and the performance they give shows. I've 3 air rifles; 2 barrel cockers (a Webley .117 and a Beeman R9 .20 cal) and a side cocker (RWS M54 .22 cal). The Webley has a williams reciever sight on it and the R9 and M54 have scopes. One of them always accompanies me when camping and hunting as they see much shooting around camp. The R9 and M54 have accounted for their fair share of ground squirrels and rabbits on such forays. Even managed to shoot a 6 point bull elk with the R9. The R9 and M54 have also accounted for lots of varmints (mostly rats and starlings but a few possum and fereal cats are included) around the house. I've a pellet trap on my back fence and when bored I open the back door of the garage and shoot off hand practice (30 yards) from alongside my work bench to the trap. The neighbors hear nothing.

Practicing with one's firearms is well worth the effort using reduced loads (Lord knows I do enough of that......perhaps never "enough" but a lot anyways!). A good air rifle is well worth having none the less and is an excellent way to shoot about as cheaply as it can be done short of throwing rocks.

Larry Gibson

12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
We shoot a lot of wax bullets here.

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I have done the same thing. Pull bullet pour powder and push pellet. It is fun when it is raining.

JohnSmiles
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Johnsmiles,

First i want to say howdy, i'm about 20 miles south of you. And not to jack your thread but we got lots-o-coyotes that need killin, winter need not be boring, catch up on your loadin, shoot some crows, roust out some rabbits, or just go check out the sportsmans warehouse, surly you can find allot of stuff you didn't know ya needed, I always do. Have you been to the indoor range on concord? Just wondered how it was.

C.B.

Well Howdy!
The range on Concorde requires full metel jackets on everything except .22's.
I don't hunt anything with fmj's, and as their range is only 25 yards I don't have much use for it.
Never tried hunting yotes.
Mght be interesting.
Sportsmans Warehouse is evil!
I can walk in there, needing absolutely NOTHING WHAT-SO-EVER, and leave with a sack and a heavier credit card everytime!
Evil I tell ya!
I shoot at the Linden range, but only in more pleasant weather.
Too cold for me unless it is in the 50+ range anyway.
Hunting at 10 degrees, sure.
Shooting, we needs it a tad more comfy.
:coffee:

I have done the same thing. Pull bullet pour powder and push pellet. It is fun when it is raining.

I simply get a kick out of my little tip open 22 with primer & pellets.
:Fire:

Old Ironsights
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I like working with the trigger/action of my "real" guns - so an air/springer just doesn't cut it for me.

OTOH, a pure-lead cast boolet over 1-2gr titegroup is about as silent as anyone cares to get - even in the basement, and I can easily capture & salvage/smelt the boolets.

I also shoot a lot of Colibris from my 22s.

Single Shot
01-24-2008, 12:38 AM
the colibri are really quiet. quiet as a pellet gun in a bolt action rifle.
they wont cycle semiautos, but do work as single shots

and they can kill tree rats on the deck :Fire:

I have 16 in the freezer taken from under or on the bird feeder using the colibri.

Single Shot
01-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Quote:" Waksupi,
In about 1972 I was doing a lot of quickdraw practice with my K 38 and Speer plastics. I came home one night for lunch and caught my wifes cat eating doghnuts on the kitchen table and I grabbed up the practice gun and snapped a shot at the cat's a$$. I hit that sucker square behind the ear and dropped him like a shot, dead as a Turd, Oh my God!!! What to do, what to do... I did the manly thing, I took him next door and put him under the back wheels of my brother in laws car. He came over the next morning and apologised to my wife for runnnning over her cat."

Never, never, ever, get between a cop and his doughnuts!

That is actually a Capital Crime.

And cops are justified to shoot anyone near their doughnut just because "They Needed Killin"

StrawHat
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi;259611
I had failed to remember I had put the usual 500 gr. load back in the chamber before setting it behind the door. That particular load is rather loud, and exciting, when set off in an enclosed space. And, I don't know if I got the pack rat, or not.[/QUOTE]

Waksupi,

I enjoyed reading that, brought a smile to my face to know I am not the only one to use a 500 grain exterminator.

Thanks for the memory.

olddudeone
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Well in my 60 years of existance I find that my sling-shot is by far the cheepest to shoot heck a small pebble will do. LOL olddudeone