PDA

View Full Version : I got some trigger time in.

GunnyJohn
02-23-2014, 09:56 AM
I got out and did some shooting yesterday. We had some coffee on the fire, and even with the snow falling it was a good day. I started with 70 grains and a PRB. I had 5 shots nearly touching each other at 50 yds. I increased to 100 grns had an elevation increase but accuracy was still there. Increased the range to 100 yds and everything went south. I started hitting high and to the right. I had fired around 10-12 shots by this time. I wondered what was happening, so I ran a bore brush and a swab down the barrel, gave it a quick once over and my impacts moved back towards center but still about 7 inches higher than at fifty yards. Any thoughts or bits of wisdom. How many shots should I take before cleaning the bore?

johnson1942
02-23-2014, 12:09 PM
one, then a damp patch follow by 2 dry.

GunnyJohn
02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
one, then a damp patch follow by 2 dry.

Thanks alot. I'll give that a try.

Squeeze
02-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I keep swabs and a bottle of windex handy at the bench and lightly spritz the first with windex, swab. (I use both sides) then swab one patch dry (both sides) between every load. It creates consistency, same bore every shot. thats the key, right down to the amount of pressure you seat the bullet on the powder with. Its getting every little step down, same exact thing every time.

mooman76
02-23-2014, 01:19 PM
You may not need to swab after every shot but if you are looking for consistency you need to keep things as close to the same as possible. In other words it depends on what you what out of it. Hunting doesn't require target accuracy but target shooting does. I have a 32 cal that I need to swab every 3 shots or accuracy goes down hill quick. I'm not looking for target accuracy out of it, just shooting for fun. You're shooting high at 100y because you are shooting heavy loads and at 50y the ball is still rising.
I also use spit patch most the time and don't need to swab when I use spit patch but do for other lubes.

GunnyJohn
02-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Good info guys. I have been told to bounce the rod after pushing the ball in for consistent seating. Good Idea? I am currently using commercial lubed patches, and it does appear that there is residue at the muzzle after the rifle is fired. So perhaps swabbing after each shot during sighting in and target pratice is a good idea.

fouronesix
02-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Good info guys. I have been told to bounce the rod after pushing the ball in for consistent seating. Good Idea?

NO. That monkey-see-monkey-do wive's tale has been around forever and just won't go away!

If you hunt within the accuracy and range limitations of you and your rifle you'll be fine for deer and elk. If you view or accept the advice that so-so accuracy is fine for hunting while completely unacceptable for targets think about what that means! An animal that runs off hit may never be been seen again. A target just sits there waiting for everyone to look at it.

Dean D.
02-23-2014, 03:44 PM
I swab my bore every single shot when I reload using a roundball surrounded by a Moose Milk* soaked pillow ticking patch. My rifles accuracy remains constant throughout a rendezvous trail walk with 20-30 targets. The accuracy of the Nut behind the Butt does vary at times though. [smilie=1:

*Moose Milk = 1 part water soluble machinist oil and 10 parts water.