PDA

View Full Version : OK, Fess up...

Gussy
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
How many of you are using a trail cam??? 4 bucks crossed my driveway this morning as I was leaving and it got me to wondering (again) what I don't see?? One looked pretty good. Of course he got past me before I got a good look and the other three stopped and stared as I drove past. All were 3pt or better (western count) and not bad.

They've been in my corn I throw out for the quail. When the snow gets fairly deep, I feed the quail. Only go through about a bag a year. Usually only feed 3-4 weeks. Helps them get through the winter in good shape. Don't ever hunt them, just like having them around. Many deer tracks in that snow.

A trail cam is on my "Christmas list". Hope one shows up!!

VTDW
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Gussy,

Even though I hunt a couple of good sized pieces of private property I worry too much about dang thieves. I sure want a game cam though. I always NEED more toys.:mrgreen:

Dave

fishhawk
12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
have a cuddyback game camera, works great! the cuddyback is screwed to a tree plus a cable around the tree this ends under a locked cover. the cuddy back can be password protected and the folks at cuddyback havs had some sent in to have them change the password and have called the owners phone number that was enter'd into the cuddy by the owner and found out it was stolen and the owner got it back also i have mine listed on my home owners ins for 15 bucks a year if its stolen or shotguned ins. gets me a new one

Dale53
12-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't have a trail cam ( I am a "regular" photographer [smilie=1:). However, if I did have one, I believe that I would camouflage it. It shouldn't be hard to do. The alternative might be to put it in a steel box with a lock lag screwed to a dead tree. A welder friend should be able to fabricate one for you.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

eka
12-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm like Dave, too many thieves to leave that much money hanging on a tree. I would love to have one, but don't see it happening. Heck, I left a small folding chair hanging on the back side of a tree at my favorite spot and it promptly found a new home. This on a piece of property that I'm supposedly the only person hunting on. I guess that means I'm the only guy with enough manners to go ask the guy, the rest just make themselves at home.

Keith

EMC45
12-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I hunt on a small parcel of 4 acres that belongs to my brother and have killed my first 2 deer this year there. It is Private Property, but someone snagged my grunt call when I left it out there. I am always wondering if I am gonna walk up on someone one morn or eve to go hunting. That would be interesting.

22cf45
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
We have several trail cams and find them to be really useful in figuring out deer movements along with times of travel. IMHO, I think there is only one way to go and that is with the infared digital Cuddyback. The Cuddyback does an outstanding job. I know they are a little expensive, maybe $400, but they are worth it.
Phil

Gussy
12-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Where I will use it will be totally safe from being stolen. On my land, with only one way in and that is by my house. Actually it will be used mostly right by my house, in a brushy area where no sane person would go!!

Had some property in WI once that was totally posted. My buddy and I were bow hunting and saw a car by the road but it was near a property corner so we didn't think much about it. We walked right up on this "hunter" and when I tapped him on the shoulder, he damn near crapped his pants!! HE DID NOT KNOW WE WERE EVEN THERE!!!! I "asked" him to leave which he did.

I have also considered getting the one with the infrared flash. When not being used as a trail cam, it would be aimed on my driveway to see who is on it. So far about no one is on it but us. Except of course durring deer, elk or mushroom season when the illierates who can't read the 4 posted signs and 2 private drive signs show up.

redneckdan
12-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I borrowed a trail cam once and put it out back off my apartment to try and catch some pictures of what ever was terrorizing the neighorhood dumpsters (i had started shooting skunks the destruction hadn't ended). I got 150+ pictures of oriental students staring at the camera.:roll:

Blammer
12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I'd probably forget where I put my trail cam if I ever get one.

Johnch
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I use one of the infrared flash type to pattern deer on my place
It has also caught 4 or 5 tresspassers and a poacher

With no flash and being careful where I put it
I am not to afraid it will walk

I can remotely uplaod the pic's to a handheld veiwer , it is a nice feachure

BTW the poacher got a BIG fine and lost his hunting rights for 3 years

John

monadnock#5
12-18-2007, 10:22 PM
No trail cam here, but I wanted to give you a pat on the back for feeding the quail and deer.

A few years ago a buddy called F&G to ask what kind of feed would work for the wild turkeys which frequented his backyard. "Wild animals should never be fed. Leave them alone!" was the response. Two weeks later, and two days after a storm had sheathed the area in three inches of ice he got a phone call, "Uh, uh, Mr. Bottomley? How many turkeys did you say were in your flock? Do you think 25 bags of feed would go you the winter? No no, you stay where you are, we will deliver them to you. Thank you Mr. Bottomley."

Blammer
12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
LOL, should have told him that a cold one goes with crow best!

Shepherd2
12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
My son put up a camera here on my farm in a high traffic area for deer. We have really enjoyed the pictures he's getting (somewhere around 400 so far). My favorite is the shot of the 6 point buck with his nose about 2 inches from the camera. The camera has a clock so you know what time of day the pictures are taken. Does and young bucks are snapped at any time of the day. The pictures of the big bucks are usually taken from 0100 to 0500.

This isn't a real expensive camera and it has a flash. The flash doesn't seem to bother the deer because you get pictures of the same deer quite often. Even the better bucks. If they are browsing in the area you sometimes get a couple pictures in one night. The infrared would be a good idea if you are worried about it being stolen. So would a camo finish. This black camera really stood out after all the leaves dropped.

BTW I run a wild turkey feeding station out back. I feed the cattle mostly shelled corn and they don't digest all of the kernals. The turkeys come along every day and pick thru the manure for the undigested bits.