PDA

View Full Version : Having fun and learning with my Wilson 30-30 Full Resizing Die and Lee Loader

vacek
02-23-2014, 01:25 AM
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Wilson Resizing Die for my 30-30 H&R Topper. I had about 20 fired brass that I had picked up in a garage sell so decided to full-length resize them with the Wilson; then load them up with a Lee Loader to see how the process worked. The first mistake was to resize in the Wilson before depriming. The Wilson Die did a great job full length resizing but made it difficult/say impossible to get the Lee Loader depriming rod past the neck.

So I deprimed first with the 30-30 Lee Loader and then did the full-length resized. This was followed by trimming, chamfering, deburring; then cleaning up the brass with a Scotchie Pad. From there on out I used the Lee Loader to finish up the load with 27 grains of IMR3031 (using the included scoop) and a 170 grain flat nose. Yes, the Lee Loader primer worked fine, no issues. They came out really nice.

Anyway, a perfectly good way to load 30-30 without a press. Obviously once the brass is shot in my H&R I probably won't need to full length resize for awhile.

When I get some time I will try out the full-length resizer for 30-30 made by Lyman. I have a lot of these dies from anywhere from 9mm to 35 Remington (about 60 in all).