PDA

View Full Version : Got a new tool to fix a frustrating problem

MBTcustom
02-23-2014, 01:23 AM
Ever had a mold that has a sprue plate coming up on it? Leaves a frustrating flash, or fin on one side of the base of the boolit. This not only harms accuracy, but if you have to seat a GC, its a real PITA.
Well, I recently got just such a mold, and I was scraping the flash off with my knife and wishing there were a more consistent way to do such an operation. I was considering fabricating something that looks like a case deburring cutter, only without that useless pin in the middle of it that forces you to only use that fine tool on an object that has a hole in the center of it, like the necks of our brass. Then, in the back of my mind, I seemed to remember that such a thing actually already exists. I seemed to remember that it was made by the Shaviv company out of Israel. Google is my friend, so I did a little poking and found that I was 100% correct! I found the very tool I was after on e-bay for $35 or something, so I stabbed some money in sombodys pocket and got it on the way. I figured, heck it's worth a try, and I can use it for lots of other jobs around the shop!

Well, it showed up today and I happened to be about to load some of the very boolits I was struggling with when it showed up. I ripped it open and tried it out.
Turns out it works just as good as I had hoped it would and cuts a very clean 45* angle around the base of the boolit, and the chamfer it lays on the trailing edge is incredibly even and consistent. You just press it straight onto the base of the boolit and twist your wrist back and forth rapidly. It has a built in ratchet advance, so it just walks around the boolit cutting the corner off clean.
I thought y'all would like to know.

Bullshop Junior
02-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Well, now if that isn't a beautiful thing!

tomme boy
02-23-2014, 02:15 AM
I think you should makes these to sell. You need to offer them in different sizes though. Just trying to rob all of the little bit of free time you have!

Bzcraig
02-23-2014, 03:04 AM
What a great tool! Indeed I do have two molds that will sometimes leave the flash. What is the name used to find on EBay?

Teddy (punchie)
02-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Glad you posted this. I have an old mold that was rusty clean it up and casts a nice bullet but plate and mold are just not right and if she is too warm leaving an edge of lead just like your talking about. Thanks!!

Beagle333
02-23-2014, 08:12 AM
NOE has a tool for that too, but it doesn't have the ratchet. 8-)
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28&osCsid=qnnjadg3g4qspcah22k8gtfco1

blikseme300
02-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Mcmaster sells a similar tool but no ratchet. Part number 4289A74 is the cutter. Hmm, I think I need another tool on my bench.

btroj
02-23-2014, 08:44 AM
I recognize that mould! I don't remember flashing like that but I also did use it in the last 5 years, or more.

Well done Tim. Sometimes we just need to find a way to solve a problem simply as possible.

smokeywolf
02-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Tim, now that you have that cool little deburring tool, you'll find more uses for it and wonder how you ever got along without it.

smokeywolf

MBTcustom
02-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Tim, now that you have that cool little deburring tool, you'll find more uses for it and wonder how you ever got along without it.

smokeywolf

I'm that you're right. That's the way it has been with every tool made by that company. Ever used the internal thread cleaner? Lord bless the Israelis!

I believe it is against the TOS to post an e-bay link, but here's where I found the information to do the search on e-bay.
Page 4
Blade categories
Countersinks (Center of the page)
http://www.vargus.com/download/files/Shaviv%20Spotlight%202013%20EE%20030713web_1.pdf

This is even better:
http://www.vargus.com/shaviv/template/default.aspx?pCatId=25&pageId=53

I believe I typed "Shaviv set burr-EX" into the ebay search.

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Looks like a common deburring tool i used to purchase more than 40 yrs ago.

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
This is when everyone needs to own a unimat lathe to deburr bullets

Bullshop Junior
02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
I believe it is against the rules to start a thread just for a ebay link, and to post one in swapping and selling.

Bodine
02-23-2014, 09:50 AM
How much was this cool tool Tim?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Noe offers one with a Hex end to chuck it into a powder tool, I use a battery screw driver. My troublesome mold is a Herters 22 cal.(check out the lack of proper sprueplate screw). also trying to hold that small pointy boolit requires a small tool dia. like the NOE tool.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=qnnjadg3g4qspcah22k8gtfco1

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1600.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1600.jpg.html)

cbrick
02-23-2014, 03:48 PM
How much was this cool tool Tim?

I found the very tool I was after on e-bay for $35 or something,

[smilie=1:

Rick

starmac
02-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I think you are my new hero. I have a 45 mold that doesn't leave any flashing, but the gas check shank is a frogs hair to big to start the hornady checks on. This should remedy that little detail. lol

a.squibload
02-23-2014, 05:17 PM
The NOE hand tool works OK if the flash is not too big, in that case
maybe the sprue plate needs to be fixed or replaced.
The tool Tim shows has a big gap to allow better cutting.
I considered putting a chamfer on one side of the gaps in the NOE hand tool
to give it more bite, would make it one directional.
Works OK for it's intended purpose.

JonB, love those pointy Buck Rogers space boolits!

smokeywolf
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm old school and started out 35 years ago using the Burr-Quik. Didn't get the Shaviv tool(s) until about 6 years ago. They are the cat's meow. I don't however, have the beveling tool.

As part of my apprenticeship I had to manufacture several of my deburring tools, so I've always seen store-bought deburring tools as a luxury.

I have already, in my mind, allocated a little chunk of money for new shooting and reloading tools, toys, goodies (necessities?) after we move onto our mini-ranch/hobby farm.

No such thing as having too many tools, guns, presses, powder measures, moulds and so-on and so-on.

Thanks for the pics and the heads up on the boolit base deburrer.

smokeywolf