PDA

View Full Version : New Encore barrel won't open

wlc
02-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Just got a new Barrel for my Encore (Rifle) from MGM in 357 Max. Got the 500S&W barrel off and started putting the Max barrel on. Got the hinge pin in and closed it up. Put on the forearm then tried to break it open. Pulled the latch and it was stuck HARD. Wouldn't even think of opening up. Took the forearm back off, drove the hinge pin out and finally got the barrel off. Any ideas on what to do to "fix" it? I've got an email in to MGM, but it'll be Monday I'm sure before I get a reply. Thought I'd see if anyone here knew what to do or what might be wrong. Thanks.

leftiye
02-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Did the trigger guard compress to unlock, or was it stuck? The fact that it closed without anything noticeable seems to say it's in the locking mechanism, not the fit. If it cycled, but didn't release it could be the locking lugs on the barrel have too strong a spring for to be pushed into position to release. Maybe remove the locking lugs, install the barrel and see what transpires. Someone else who is betterer with T/C locking systems than I am will be along shortly. I've taken them all apart and back together, but I haven't really had any actual reason for doing so (few problems to solve).

jimwill48
02-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Had the same issue with a MGM barrel in 6.5x55mm Swed. The barrel was hard to close and very hard to open. Was told the barrel needed to be fitted to my receiver. Since this was a trade barrel I got (I already had a couple of 6.5mm Sweds.) I traded it off but was told a gunsmith could fix quickly and cheaply. It was said the front of the hinge hole in the barrel need to be polished and opened at the front (facing breech block) which then would allow the barrel to move slightly forward when closed. Take it for whats its worth...

wlc
02-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Did the trigger guard compress to unlock, or was it stuck? The fact that it closed without anything noticeable seems to say it's in the locking mechanism, not the fit. If it cycled, but didn't release it could be the locking lugs on the barrel have too strong a spring for to be pushed into position to release. Maybe remove the locking lugs, install the barrel and see what transpires. Someone else who is betterer with T/C locking systems than I am will be along shortly. I've taken them all apart and back together, but I haven't really had any actual reason for doing so (few problems to solve).

No, the trigger guard latch worked fine. When I depressed it to break the action everything "worked" fine except for the fact that it won't break open. I started measuring stuff on the barrel lug and locking bolts. The little "pins" that stick out from the sides of the locking bolts are shorter than my factory barrel. Would someone mind measuring outside to outside the locking bolt (pin tip to pin tip) of a barrel so I'll have at least a couple more measurements to compare. That may be my problem. Might not be enough there for the trigger latch to catch and move the locking bolts enough to let it open. I really have no idea as this is my first Encore and only the first custom barrel I've bought for it. The rifle probably only has 50 or so rounds total through it. I have emailed MGM, hopefully they will respond tomorrow morning, or I'll call them tomorrow before their COB.

Pinsnscrews
02-23-2014, 09:05 PM
You should be able to swap the locking pins between the two barrels.

williamwaco
02-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I have this trouble with about one in three barrels.
I just don't find them to be "interchangeable".
I take them to a contender guy and get the barrel lugs modified.

OOOPS. Mine are Contenders not Encores.

TCFAN
02-23-2014, 09:36 PM
wlc,I just measured 3 of my Encore barrels that I don't have mounted on frames. The first barrel is a 30-30 blue 24 inch and the pins measure .7824
The next barrel is a 300 win mag that measures .7840 and it is stainless 26 inch.
The last barrel is a 30-06 stainless and it measures .7792 and it is 24 inch long.
All the barrels work good on my 2 frames and they are T/C brand.

I hope you will post a up date to what MGM tells you.I have a barrel coming in the next couple of week from them and I am interested in what they tell you.........Terry

wlc
02-23-2014, 11:32 PM
TCFAN, The pins on my factory 500S&W barrel measure at .7815. The pins on the new barrel measure at .7450. That's what made me wonder if that was the problem. I'm sure they will make it right. They were very good to work with and when talking to them on the phone I was impressed. Very nice lady on the phone that knew what she was talking about. The barrel looks VERY well made and was exactly to my specs. I even sent in a couple of dummy rounds for them to chamber to. It is my understanding that they mount the barrel to a frame before it leaves the factory. My frame is probably a little out from the test frame. Everything I've ever read about them is what made me go with MGM instead of another vendor. I'll report back when the issue is resolved. Good thing its really too cold to be out breaking in a barrel and working up loads right now.

TCFAN
02-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Hope everything works out for you OK........Terry

wlc
02-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Talked to a tech at MGM today. He gave me some fitting tips. He immediately said it was something in the locking bolts when I told him it wouldn't open. This evening I had time to tear it apart and try his tips. He thought it was probably too tight a fit or possibly a burr and told me to use really fine sand paper ( I used 400 grit as that was the finest I had on hand) and take a touch off/ try to remove any possible machining burrs. I didn't get it to work with the MGM locking bolts so I took them out of my factory barrel and installed them in the MGM barrel just to see "what if". Worked like a charm. I'll call back tomorrow to see if they will send me another set. In the mean time I will see if I can get the MGM bolts to work. At least I can start load development and shoot this thing a bit if it warms up later in the week like the weatherman says its going to.

TCFAN
02-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Good you are making progress.Did they say anything about the pin measurement being on the short side??
One other question. How long did it take to get your barrel once you placed the order......Terry

wlc
02-25-2014, 01:41 AM
Took about 4 weeks IIRC from ordering to receiving. It was a custom made (16.5" 1:12 twist 357 Max) and not an in stock barrel. In stock should be pretty quick I imagine.

He didn't indicate that the shorter pins were out of spec. I will ask again tomorrow, but he did ask if I felt any resistance when pulling the trigger guard latch and said if the pins weren't getting moved there would be no resistance in the lever at all.

TCFAN
02-25-2014, 01:45 AM
Ok thanks.Like to know what you find out tomorrow. My barrel was ordered Feb 1st. so I might be getting close. It is a 218 Bee 22 inch stainless............Terry

CAVEMTNMAN
02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
I have had a 357 max. barrel (22" w/1:16 twist) on order from MGM since 12/3/2013 and after reading the post by wlc, I called them this morning and the lady said she thought my barrel blank came in yesterday. Looks like I have another 4-6 wk wait.

wlc
02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Luckily the blank for my barrel was on the shelf. If they had had to order one in it would have been much longer I imagine. I would like to know how many barrels they make a year.

wlc
02-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Talked to the MGM tech again today. He was intrigued by my problem. He is sending me out another set of locking bolts. He said if that doesn't fix it the he wants me to send the barrel back in so that he can make sure it is made right. No cost at all to me. Can't beat that. Everyone has the occasional problem, but how they handle it sets a company above the others. I'll do business with them again gladly. BTW, Everyone I've talked to at MGM has been very nice and helpful. One even took the time to ask about me living in AK.

TCFAN
02-25-2014, 09:53 PM
I hope the new lugs solve you lock up problem.From your experience with MGM, they sound like a first rate company...............Terry

wlc
03-05-2014, 09:28 PM
New lugs came in the mail today. These measure more like my factory lugs. Should clear up my problem. Great folks at MGM.

TCFAN
03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Just got A e-mail from MGM that my barrel that I have had on order since Feb 1 will be here Friday.Got my fingers crossed that that it is OK. Hope your problem is solved..........Terry

Wasalmonslayer
03-06-2014, 10:03 AM
I had a contender that did the same thing with a barrel I purchased. I never could figure it out so I sold it.
I am very curious to a cause of this.