PDA

View Full Version : Can't open a Contender

Beerd
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
A friend has an older TC Contender with a .41 Mag barrel.
When he mounts a TC factory 35 Rem barrel on this frame he can't get the action to open. Anyone have a guess as to what is wrong?

Here is a pic of the barrels, the 35 on top & the 41 on the bottom:

Powderpacker
12-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Probably a problem with the bolt on the barrel . The one-piece bolts on the older barrels don't always work with the newer frames . That's an easy fix - just replace the one-piece bolt with a two-piece bolt . However, in your friend's situation it sounds like he is puting a newer barrel on an older frame so he may have to do the opposite . I thought the two-piece bolts were supposed to work on all frames but there's always the exception to the rule.

lathesmith
12-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Powderpacker is right, it has to do with the locking lugs on the barrel. Occasionally you will find a barrel/frame setup that doesn't quite match up. Usually polishing a thousanth or two (or less) off the top of the lug will cure the hard opening problem. Or, if there are any burrs here this will also cause hard opening. Be very careful though, and make sure you understand the correct place to polish.
lathesmith

fourarmed
12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I have also seen cracked lugs on the two-lug barrels do the same thing.

dubber123
12-18-2007, 06:09 PM
There are several different thicknesses of locking lugs, I think there is a standard, 2 thinner, and 2 thicker, for a total of at least 5 different lugs. It is pretty easy to get the wrong ones. Try swapping them, it is an easy job.

Beerd
12-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Thats kind of what I thought.
I suggested that he swap the locking bolt from the 41 onto the 35 to see if that solves the problem.
Also, could it be the locking bolt spring that is messed up? I have read that some guys are using after market heavy duty springs to get a "tighter lock-up" of the action.

Thanks.

oldfart
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
go here and see complete fix
http://www.bellmtcs.com

stillhunter
12-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Many thanks to Oldfart. Have had many misfire problems with a friends new TC 30-30 with handloads. One trip back to gunsmith. New factory ammo works. Bet this fixes it.

Beerd
12-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks to all who answered.
While we were talking here my buddy boxed everything up & sent it off to TC for them to figure out.

racepres
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks to all who answered.
While we were talking here my buddy boxed everything up & sent it off to TC for them to figure out.
If it is an old one I would ask that they Not Convert it! I know that the ones w the "exposed" t.g. hinge pin opens easier... But, I fancy, and actually prefer my old one w/ the decidedly Non Easy-open! to my newer "easy open" type!
Not my piece tho .... ya got my $0.02 mv