PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on old percussion caps and primer caps

Alvin
02-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Since I know nothing about black powder, I thought I would come here and ask the experts. I have about ten tins of old percussion caps and primer caps, and want to know if they would be usable still? They look to be quite old, but some are still sealed and they were all kept in an ammo can. I've read that as long as they were kept out of direct heat they should be good, for what its worth the regular primers that they were in with are all good still. What would be a reasonable price to ask for a tin? I've seen some sell on ebay for around $15 for just the empty tin. Thanks for the help, like I said I've never even shot a black powder anything. 97502

Ibgreen
02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
I know an older fellow that grew up near some Virginia CW battlefields. He found a huge stash of percussion caps in the late 50's. He still uses them today with his muzzle loaders.

C. Latch
02-22-2014, 11:10 PM
I'd shoot them up then sell the empty tins to collectors. That's what I plan to do with all my old powders of similar vintage to the tins in your picture.

mazo kid
02-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Plus one for shooting them up (or giving the caps to a shooter friend) and selling the empty tins. HazMat fees would make the full tins hard to sell, and us ordinary guys can't even send stuff like that, we can't ship with HazMat! Several years ago I was going to buy a case of black powder at a very good price; the seller couldn't find any one to ship it even though the powder was still in the factory sealed shipping box!

Alvin
02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys, gives me an idea on what to do with the stuff. I might have to find someone who wants to buy the caps at a good price since I don't know anyone who shoots anything but modern ammo around me. I also wanted to ask about this tin I found, I think it's be pellets but I don't know for sure. The writing on the tin I have is different, but rounds are the same. Let me know if any of you know for sure. Thanks again.

Zymurgy50
02-25-2014, 04:02 PM
It looks like 6mm rimfire ammo of some sort.

oldred
02-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Before you shoot ANY of that stuff check to see if it has collector value, if you shoot it you just might regret it!!!!

Bent Ramrod
02-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Those are "Flobert Rundkugeln" or, in our parlance, .22 BB Caps.

wild thing
02-25-2014, 09:02 PM
If you intend to sell the tins , do not shoot the caps. Don' t break the seals on the unopened tins. Depending on how old they are they will be worth much more to collectors if they are unopened. John

CastingFool
02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
the percussion caps I have, have been in my possession for probably 35 yrs. They always go off when I drop the hammer.