PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean LAM2

osteodoc08
02-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Next time I'm home, I will be grabbing my late father's LAM 2 as well as the sizing dies, some of he more common molds I use, one of his pots, smelting set up and a few hundred pounds of COWW.

I'd like to clean up the LAM2. It's covered in gunk and lube that has junk all in it, etc. I intend on spiffing it up and putting it to use. RandyRat offered me a small sample of TAC1 and when I run out of LBT Blue I'm gonna try it. Ideas for getting it all out and cleaning the entire press? Best way to clean the sizing dies? I've got a 1.5L Lyman ultrasonic as well to use.

The Lee Pots have oxidation all over the sides and maybe an inch of Lead in the bottom. I've seen the posts and recommendations on cleaning them out, but is it worth it? Last bullets I cast were fine.

Kinda nervous on smelting by myself. I always let him do it while I cast.

Let the games begin!

tomme boy
02-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I take the whole luber apart ans heat it up with a heat gun or torch. Wear gloves and keep turning it around to get the way out. After that, I just spray mine down with brake cleaner and let it sit to cool off. Put it back together and insert the new lube.

dragon813gt
02-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Do not put it in the Ultrasonic cleaner. I just cleaned up one of mine tonight. Put it in a pot of boiling water and it cleaned right up. Pot is ruined and it does make a mess. I thought about the heat gun method but I'd still end up w/ a mess doing it that way.

Mk42gunner
02-23-2014, 12:35 AM
I boiled out a Lubamatic using dawn dish soap in the water, ONCE.

The next time I had a had a luber to clean, it was a Lyman 450, I used gentle heat from a propane torch. It worked well and was a heck of a lot faster than boiling. I think a heat gun would work okay, but will probably take longer than the torch.

Robert

fryboy
02-23-2014, 10:17 AM
heat is your friend ...be it baked,boiled or basked , each have their own pitfalls , first take the guts out ( die ,plunger etc ) if boiling disassemble ,boiling it can remove paint ...( dont boil it too long ) all can make a mess , either way other than boiling set a catch pan/basin/tray under it apply heat and leyt the old lube run out , while still warm wipe down with old clean rags , either way lube it when done and reassemble as necessary

dbosman
02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Disassemble to remove parts with O-rings. Then wedge a heat gun on some metal bits to keep things pointed at the lube sizer. I put a couple of layer of cardboard under it all to catch the mess.

a.squibload
02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I just put new lube in and lubed boolits, the old lube worked it's way out.
DISCLAIMER: my old LAM was pretty clean to begin with.