PDA

View Full Version : Contender front sight

redneckdan
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Anyone ever mount a globe front sight on a contender barrel? What parts did you use and how'd you do it?

45nut
12-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Kind of:

Ken Light Manufacturing sells sight sets for IHMSA shooters that may be suitable for you.

http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html

danski26
12-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I have seen target shooters who turned the muzzle to fit a barrel band. then mount what ever kind of front sight you want including ladders and other adjustables. would look like this.

Brownells sells the bands. I'm sure there are less expensive ways to mount a globe but this gives you a lot of flexibility with your site dope and globe inserts.

7br
12-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Somewhere I have ramp with a dove tail that was ground down for a contender. Came off of a used barrel that I never got around to playing with. Heck, I think I sold you the globe that went on the ramp. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

At one time, T/C sold a hooded front sight. I think it was for a short time and the globe was 1/2 to 5/8 inch in diameter. Might give them a call and see if they have any idears.

redneckdan
02-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I finally came up with a workable solution, not pretty but it works. I got ahold of an old lyman front sight from the small bore rifle club. Seems like one of thier bubbas long ago butchered a front sight while trying to fit it to the dovetail. I took that, ground off the dovetail, took the old rusty contender front sight I had and ground that down to just the base with screw holes. Then I brazed the two parts together. No pics at the moment...my camera is thrownin a hissy fit.

Jon K
02-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Is this a 10" or 14" barrel?
I have used the Williams Shorty Ramp & Lyman 17A(AHB) on the T/C. On a 10" barrel the front of the ramp needs to be shortened, as it hangs over the end(about 1/8"). I have one laying around here, PM me if you want it.

The Ken Light or Lansing are nicer, larger and pricey.

Jon

Jon

Bullshop
02-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Wut ta do with early barrels, the ones w/o screws? Are they soldered on? If so then I guess one could remove the old with heat and then D&T for the new, yes? Anyone ever sent one to TC to get this done?
BIC/BS