PDA

View Full Version : anyone swaging 458 bullets on a walnut hill

phishroy
02-22-2014, 11:54 AM
i have a WH press on the way and im considering gearing up for swaging 458 jacketed bullets on it.
i have seen some clips of people swaging 9mm and 44 mag on the WH and it looked like they are needing to use allot of force on the press.
so wondering if anyone out there is using a WH press for swaging 458.
will i have a really sore arm after swaging about 20 bullets or is there enough mechanical leverage to do it with little effort?
just to get a relative comparison idea if you were to compare it to the effort needed to resize brass on a reloading press like a rock chucker would it be less effort or more?

midnight
02-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I swage 458 bullets on the WH using RCE dies. I make jackets from 30-06,308.243, ect, in other words any case based on the .473 case head. Effort approches zero. If you have to use a lot of force with the WH, you are doing something wrong. I use slightly more force making the jackets than making the bullets. That's why I like the WH so much that I am thinking of getting a second one.

Bob

phishroy
02-22-2014, 06:36 PM
thank you for the confirmation.

cant wait to get the new toy

HGS
02-23-2014, 11:27 AM
phishroy

Will give a second thumbs up on using a WH, I have never noticed having to use any extra pressure swaging bullets, or any of my reloading, resizing or case forming chores. WH swage dies also come in cals, ..470nitro - .510 - .550 - .700 nitro.. If your worried about a sore arm, Richard Corbin sells a Hydrolic Multiswage which is operated by foot control. (Blue WH swage press on steriods) My multiswage will be the last press pried from my cold dead hands.

HGS

Lizard333
02-23-2014, 11:59 AM
The walnut hill is the way to go. Force is minimum. There are guys that complain about the long stroke, but that long stroke minimizes the force applied by the operator. You won't be disappointed.

Reload3006
02-24-2014, 12:46 PM
i am the guy swaging 44 bullets on the walnut hill. The lead your seeing me swage is not pure lead and yes it takes some force to swage it. I would not recommend trying to use that alloy of lead in anything less than walnut hill dies or corbin h dies. Using pure lead is a breeze on the WH