PDA

View Full Version : A small freebie score

boog
02-22-2014, 06:24 AM
I have an excellent customer that I have a great relationship with. We always talk about something, sometimes nearly anything. They are an old print shop, and the last few times I have been there we have talked about guns, survival and 'preping' kind of things. So, I inquired about them possibly having any lead. They have a bunch! I let him know what he was setting on, and that it was definitely worth something! Don't want him to get ripped off.
He gave me (free) an 8.8lb bar of what he says is tin. Look like tin to you guys? He says it has been there since at least the '70's, if not from the '60's.

And a 23.5lb bar of linotype that I just had to try to break to see what was inside :wink:

Now I need to find tiny moulds to recast the tin into small easier to use pieces. I guess I could cast them into bullets, just to have 158gn chunks to throw into the pot, I just don't want to forget and shoot them.

SlippShodd
02-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I usually just pour 1/8-3/16" in the bottom of an ingot mould or muffin pan, then weigh and mark the little ingots. Last week I put a couple pounds of tin in the bottom pour pot and poured into a couple boolit moulds; the .458-405 weighed out at .67 ounce with tin, the 45-201 was .33 oz. Alternated 25 of each in a plastic factory ammo box tray for a 2-piece, 1-ounce combo. If nothing else, it was a fun diversion.

mike

imashooter2
02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
The lino is a great score in itself, the tin is fantastic.

One of our members uses the bottoms of beverage cans to cast little coins for tin. I find an average pour from a Lyman dipper will give about 2 ounce ingots in whatever you use as a mold.

boog
02-22-2014, 12:35 PM

One of our members uses the bottoms of beverage cans to cast little coins for tin. I find an average pour from a Lyman dipper will give about 2 ounce ingots in whatever you use as a mold.

Nice idea! I just might have to try that soon! I can envision many upside down cans on my work table getting a pour each from the Lyman dipper.

Will have to test how much one pour does.

Smoke4320
02-22-2014, 12:41 PM
lee ingot mold... The 2 center sections marked 1/2 LB will yield approx 4 oz tin ingots. Put em in a vise and tap with hammer to break into what ever weight you need

imashooter2
02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Nice idea! I just might have to try that soon! I can envision many upside down cans on my work table getting a pour each from the Lyman dipper.

Will have to test how much one pour does.

I've done over 300 pounds of pewter in the last year... 1.7 to 2.4 ounces depending on how consistent you are with fill. :)

boog
02-22-2014, 01:05 PM
I've done over 300 pounds of pewter in the last year... 1.7 to 2.4 ounces depending on how consistent you are with fill. :)

That is a lot of pewter! I'm excited to get to try, just hope I get to do it soon. I have plenty of cans in my recycle bin to try it on.

boog
02-22-2014, 10:19 PM

Just thought of a question... do they want to stick in the can bottoms? Or is it curved enough to release well? Have a link with pics that I can look at?

imashooter2
02-22-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't use the cans, but tin doesn't stick to aluminum and the shape should let them slide right off.

I use a Potter mold and it makes ingots like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/sell/pew5s.jpg

dbosman
02-23-2014, 05:44 PM
There are lots of sinker molds that are pining for use. Put a wanted ad in the local Craig's list or Free-Cycle.
Ask to buy, borrow, or rent and you may get something you can use. You can probably pay the rent in sinkers.
For under $10 I picked up a surf casting sinker mold that makes two 1 oz. lead buttons. I have yet to cast and weigh pewter buttons.

boog
02-23-2014, 11:02 PM
I ended up getting some of the cheapie Walmart stainless condiment cups to make ingots with. I also need to get another scale, because mine apparently only reads up to 2 ounces! Everything I have done up to now has been with straight wheel weights.

The smaller pieces are the tin, with one ladle from the Lyman dipper. The larger ones are the lino.

str8shot426
02-23-2014, 11:43 PM
I got ahold of a few imperial ingots from a former printing operation. They were marked lino+ on the back. They looked just like yours when broke up. They now exist as lyman#2.

boog
02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
I got ahold of a few imperial ingots from a former printing operation. They were marked lino+ on the back. They looked just like yours when broke up. They now exist as lyman#2.

You know, they look the same, and dent the same when banged on the concrete. Maybe the other bar is/was lino.

arjacobson
02-28-2014, 08:03 PM

One of our members uses the bottoms of beverage cans to cast little coins for tin. I find an average pour from a Lyman dipper will give about 2 ounce ingots in whatever you use as a mold. That's the way I handle my pewter. I use a rockstar can...It smells excellent when it heats up!!

zuke
03-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I ended up getting some of the cheapie Walmart stainless condiment cups to make ingots with. I also need to get another scale, because mine apparently only reads up to 2 ounces! Everything I have done up to now has been with straight wheel weights.

The smaller pieces are the tin, with one ladle from the Lyman dipper. The larger ones are the lino.

Exactly what I use!

762 shooter
03-08-2014, 07:55 AM
I used the can idea last weekend for great results. My can coins came out weighing from 3/4 oz to 1-1/4 oz. Now I can store them in large medicine bottles.

Great idea!!!! Thanks.