PDA

View Full Version : Lee "Breech Lock" Classic Cast Press OK for swaging?

sawzall
02-22-2014, 02:19 AM
I can't seem to find a Classic Cast press that doesn't have the breech lock bushing system. Is the breech lock strong enough for swaging? I don't want to keep using my RC2 and possibly damage the ram. I swage 44 cal and am looking for 45 cal dies as well. No little .224 swaging for me!

jmort
02-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Why not click on the Titan Reloading banner ad link at the top of this page and order Classic Cast right now.

Utah Shooter
02-22-2014, 03:37 AM
I used a Breech Lock of some sort and ended up getting one of the bushings stuck. Not only a pain in the butt to get the die out I ended up ruining the black plunger and the press was done.

I think you may want to take the advice of ^^^^^ and get a classic cast instead of the RCII for those bullets.

retiredPO
02-22-2014, 08:07 AM
FS Reloading $20.00 cheaper

Prospector Howard
02-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Yea, stay away from the breech lock for swaging. The breech lock system would be a week link and you'd end up having problems like Joe described.

BT Sniper
02-22-2014, 12:05 PM
All the attempts I know of that tried the breech lock for swaging have broke the actual breech lock adapter. The breech lock press also has a one piece ram that will not accept a new dedicated swaging ram top.

The "classic" has a two piece ram that we can take the shell holder top off of and replace with a new ram top that will accept threaded base punches. And the traditional 7/8-14 threaded top to the press will handle any of the pressure from swaging you dish out.

Better to stay away from the Breech Lock and get the "CLASSIC!"

BT

R.Ph. 380
02-22-2014, 01:00 PM
All the attempts I know of that tried the breech lock for swaging have broke the actual breech lock adapter. The breech lock press also has a one piece ram that will not accept a new dedicated swaging ram top.

The "classic" has a two piece ram that we can take the shell holder top off of and replace with a new ram top that will accept threaded base punches. And the traditional 7/8-14 threaded top to the press will handle any of the pressure from swaging you dish out.

Better to stay away from the Breech Lock and get the "CLASSIC!"

BT
I have actually broken 2 of the Hornady Lock & Load Die Bushings in half. Once with one of Floyd's Lead extrusion dies, that I screwed down too deep and another on a Derimming die that wasn't one of BT's(before I got the system). It's amazing the amount of leverage and pressure available with the RC Supreme. I do have a full sized swaging press coming, it's just taking a little longer to get it made due to Winter in Northern Michigan. I will not be changing to the bushings on that press, but will be staying with the threaded dies.

Bill

sawzall
02-23-2014, 01:37 AM
Why not click on the Titan Reloading banner ad link at the top of this page and order Classic Cast right now.

Because it's almost $70 to ship it to Canada.

To everyone else, thanks. That is what I thought. I suspected the breech lock system wasn't strong enough. I guess I'll just continue to use my Rock Chucker until I find a more suitable press here in Canada.

BT Sniper
02-23-2014, 04:38 AM
You can simply get a 7/8-14 threaded adapter for the top of the press. Then you still have a one piece ram with a shell holder top but.....

BT