PDA

View Full Version : 3rd anniversary of the quake.

JeffinNZ
02-22-2014, 02:09 AM
Today, Feb 22, marks the third anniversary of the earthquake that near leveled our city and took my good friend Michael. This morning Sheryl and I shared with Michael's widow, Rachael, the 2nd "A run to remember", a 12km (7.5 miles) run/walk around the Port Hills of Christhchurch. I ran, Sheryl walked. At the start at 9;30am the temperature was already about 80F and by the time we hit the summit of the road it was pushing the best part of 100F. I chopped out the run in 57:40 and Sheryl did the walk is a very respectable 1:52:00. It was an emotional day for us as at 12:51pm, the exact time of the quake, we had a minutes silence and released 100's of red and black (local colours) balloons. We shed a tear or two for the boy. I hope he appreciated my sore heels. [smilie=1:

1700 people took part and all the money raised goes to the Canterbury Childrens' Trust, that was set up for the 66 kids who lost a parent in the quake. Michael left 4 children.

I picked up a spot prize which was nice. A sports bag with pedometer, drink bottle, fanny pack. There were some very generous sponsors who helped out. Good folk.

Don't mind telling you all we are both a bit tired now. The climb and heat took it out of us.

starmac
02-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Man, it doesn't seem like it has been near that long. Something very mean would have to be chasing me for me to even walk that far.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-22-2014, 08:35 AM
That was a very nice way to remember your friend and the tragic event that happened a year ago. You're a good friend still.

bhn22
02-22-2014, 11:04 AM
It's been three years already. Wow, time flies. I would have sworn that it was just last year. What a journey it must have been for you to get this far.