PDA

View Full Version : OK, maybe I'm just dense. but how does thos work.

DHurtig
02-22-2014, 01:56 AM
I sold an item on Ebay last Sunday. On Tuesday I mailed it out with tracking and insurance. I checked the tracking tonight and the package has not arrived.

So here is where I'm lost. The item with shipping was $356, so I insured it for $375.

If the package is lost and a claim is filed and paid by the post office. Who gets the money? The buyer or the seller? If the buyer gets the money, I'm still out the barrel. If I get the money, then the buyer loses his money and the item is still gone. Should you insure the package for twice what is worth so that neither the buyer or the seller loses???

MaryB
02-22-2014, 02:25 AM
If the buyer doesn't receive the item paypal will refund his money. You will have to recover it from the shipper then. The seller is always responsible for filing an insurance claim. I would be a little patient, the bad weather has put a dent in delivery times east of the MS River.

smokesahoy
02-22-2014, 02:32 AM
The buyer paid you. You have this money.
The insurance goes to the buyer, less the difference I guess, to compensate on no item. Or vice versa if he reverses charges and doesn't get refund from you.

So you were compensated, your buyer was compensated and the guy that stole it gets to keep it and eventually rates go up a bit.

seagiant
02-22-2014, 02:48 AM
The buyer paid you. You have this money.
The insurance goes to the buyer, less the difference I guess, to compensate on no item. Or vice versa if he reverses charges and doesn't get refund from you.

So you were compensated, your buyer was compensated and the guy that stole it gets to keep it and eventually rates go up a bit.

Hi,
+1,you got what YOU wanted which was money and you can payback the buyer. The buyer is the loser as he wanted the item,not the money!

Jammersix
02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
Either the buyer paid you, in which case you have his money, and he gets the insurance, or he didn't, in which case he hasn't spent a thing, and you get the insurance.

There is no "always". Each case is different.

Springfield
02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
You insured it, so you get the money. And then you send the buyer back his money, otherwise you are stealing.

starmac
02-22-2014, 03:04 AM
You insured it, so you get the money. And then you send the buyer back his money, otherwise you are stealing.

Yup, it is yours until the buyer has it in hand, and if it is insured and they pay off there is no loser.

leftiye
02-22-2014, 07:04 AM
USPS seems to have something new (or wrong with) with their tracking as the last few items I've received the tracking has shown the item received into their system and then nothing until it showed up at the door. Plus the times have gotten longer. At any rate, there is no alternative but waiting. After you get tired of waiting, call somebody at the Post Office, bugging them might keep it from disappearing.

Bad Water Bill
02-22-2014, 07:44 AM
I purchased an item on evil bay.

The shipper sent it on USPS 2nd day delivery with tracking # to me.

That was last Friday and it got here yesterday.

You cough up the $ for 2 day but it is ok if the P O takes 6 days.

Last year I had to send a POSTAL MONEY ORDER to the Illinois state Police for my FOID card renewal. After 30 days I had not heard from the police so went to the P O to see if the money order was cashed yet.

It will cost you ??? to have it tracked and you will get an E mail + a phone call confirming things.

Over a year now and no phone call or E mail.

My local currency exchange can answer that question in 5 seconds at no charge. Just another way the gov steels our money.

DHurtig
02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
OK...makes sense now. Thanks.

M-Tecs
02-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Good luck getting the USPS to pay. My claim is over a year old. Still fighting with them.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
cost!

bhn22
02-22-2014, 11:01 AM
The Post Office only guarantees their delivery dates with Express Mail. Did you check your tracking number? A one to two day delay is not at all uncommon. I sent some things to Alaska over ten days ago by Priority Mail. The package arrived after eight calendar days. Florida always takes an extra day, as do other areas. I'd check the tracking, the PO is slow, but they always seem to get there for me.

41 mag fan
02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Ok...heres the scoop from my girlfriend whose a carrier supervisor of a big post office.....

You have to file a claim either online or using the 800 number. The seller has to file the claim, and then you would have to reimburse the seller. It will take a few weeks for everything to go thru the claims dept.

Online filing is the quickest to file the claim. Assuming you mailed it priority you have to wait till day 15 from when you mailed. You have from day 15 to day 60 to file.
I hope this helps out and clarifies things a little

sparky45
02-22-2014, 12:11 PM
O.K. I paid for a reloader; I live in KS; seller lives in Az; Shipped on 18th with tracking #; Today the 22nd the reloaded resides in Los Angeles. See the problem(s) USPS has. It's obvious they have no idea where in the USA that Ks is located. BTW, reloader has been in Los Angeles for going on 3 days.

M-Tecs
02-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Ok...heres the scoop from my girlfriend whose a carrier supervisor of a big post office.....

You have to file a claim either online or using the 800 number. The seller has to file the claim, and then you would have to reimburse the seller. It will take a few weeks for everything to go thru the claims dept.

Online filing is the quickest to file the claim. Assuming you mailed it priority you have to wait till day 15 from when you mailed. You have from day 15 to day 60 to file.
I hope this helps out and clarifies things a little

I have filed both online and hardcopy. I have had the local branch managers at two different offices file and call. Still no joy after 12+ months!!!!!! Next step is the attorney General's office and the Congressmen.

Wag
02-22-2014, 12:17 PM

This. Simple.

--Wag--

41 mag fan
02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I have filed both online and hardcopy. I have had the local branch managers at two different offices file and call. Still no joy after 12+ months!!!!!! Next step is the attorney General's office and the Congressmen.

Did you file in time is what my girlfriends first response was. If you did, then her next response was you need to talk to consumer affairs in your district. Usually she says something wasn't right in the filing that has taken this long to get it reimbursed.
And her next response was after dealing with uncountable amount of people with the same problem is they bristle up and swear they done everything correct.
And her next response was welcome to a government controlled entity....

M-Tecs
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Did you file in time is what my girlfriends first response was. If you did, then her next response was you need to talk to consumer affairs in your district. Usually she says something wasn't right in the filing that has taken this long to get it reimbursed.
And her next response was after dealing with uncountable amount of people with the same problem is they bristle up and swear they done everything correct.
And her next response was welcome to a government controlled entity....

Yes, all required paperwork was filed within a week. The local branch manager reviewed the documents and mailed them for me. I received a request for an original document not a copy. That was summited with the requested time frame. Since that time all requests and inquiries from both myself and the local branch managers have been unanswered.

41 mag fan
02-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Call consumers affairs in your district.....tell you what pm me your zip code and she'll look up the consumer affairs number for you and I'll send the number to you.

bangerjim
02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
All perfect examples why I NEVER.........EVER........use ebay! Or ship things by USPS.

Always UPS or FEDEX. They are just as cheap or better than USPS "black hole" shipping. I have NEVER lost anything with UPS or FEDEX. I HAVE lost several thing with USPS. Once you give it to the PO, it is gone! Possibly forever lost.

Lesson learned?

banger

M-Tecs
02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! PM with zip sent.

Monttexan
02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Definitely give it a few more days. You have to wait to file the claim anyway. I sold an item here in S&S a few weeks ago. It was small so I shipped it USPS insured. It was supposed to take 3 days but took about 12 business days. It never got a tracking update from the time it left Corpus Christi until it hit the PO in Oregon where it was put in the recipient's PO box. There's a reason the USPS is losing billions.

Completely irrelevant to the current topic, but the USPS also pays FedEx billions to haul the USPS overnight mail from point A to point B. The PO drops off and picks up from their local FedEx station but FedEx moves it around the country. Has been for many years.

MaryB
02-23-2014, 01:40 AM
UPS where I live is a joke, so bad that people take packages to the store and you just go there to find yours from the pile he (mis)delivered. Fedex is worse, they can't seem to find my town half the time. USPS has not lost a single package of mine, one insurance claim(Item arrived all scratched after they penetrated 2 boxes and bubble wrap) and they paid up right away.

Grumpy Joe
02-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Ebay has been good to me. I buy sell and ship thru ebay. Tracking is free and I get immediate updates. My shipping averages 3 days anywhere in USA. So far no problems. Ebay Paypal and USPS all have been good with outgoing. Outside of ebay I find USPS updates before they complete an action so it takes extra time for the item to actually get delivered. Definitely not truth in advertising or ethical work habits. Still outgoing has been great for 3 years of Ebay.