PDA

View Full Version : Large Pistol Primers on 30-30Win./30 Rem.?

beleg2
12-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Some time ago, by mistake I use Large Pistol primers on my full power 30 Rem. loads without any sign of flattening. After all, maximum pressure of 30-30 Win. is close to max for .44 Mag. I think…..
I would like to know if anybody use or have used pistol primer on the 30-30 because I can get some LP primers at half price of LR..
Thanks
Martin

felix
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Martin, you can exchange anything if it works OK for your application. ... felix

Morgan Astorbilt
12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I use LP primers in rifles that have had their mainsprings lightened to improve trigger pull all the time, and soft, Federal primers, at that. No high pressure calibers, just the likes of .32-40, .38-55, and .45-70. Never had a problem
Morgan

grumpy one
12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
The issue that causes the problem may not be breech pressure. I have perforated several CCI large pistol magnum primers by shooting them in low pressure, plain base loads in my FN military mauser. The problem seemed to be the extremely hard strike from the military mainspring driving the firing pin right through the soft primer cup. In my limited experience lever guns have gentler mainsprings.

beleg2
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Thank for the info.
I plan to use them on my Remington 14 at .30-30 Win./.30Rem pressure.
Martin

shooting on a shoestring
12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Yep, I've seen great results with Large Pistol primers in 30/30 using 18 grs 2400 and 150 gr boolits at 1830 or so fps. My old '94 shoots this load tighter than any I've tried so far (open sights, 100yds best group an honest 2"). No primer problems at all. Like you I notice the 30/30 top end pressures are about like .44 magnum. I do use Large Rifle primers for full case loads of W748 or 4895 b/c it seems to me they should require a bigger bang to light their fire. However, I've never tried LP's with those, so, maybe I should.

beagle
12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
I've use a batch of LP primers in various Marlin and Winchester levers.

The Marlins did all right but I encountered a problem with my new style M94 .30/30 Legacy. With that safety crap in there, they have a light strike anyway and the shorter LP primers seated deeper caused missfires. Changing to LR cured it.

Now I shoot LP primers in my Legacy .44 Mag with no problems. I expect Winchester designed them with a slightly longer firing pin throw as all .44 Mag is normally used with LP.

No pressure or piercing problems in any of the Marlins./beagle

Dale53
12-19-2007, 01:47 AM
It is not really a good idea to use LP primers in rifle cartridges. LP primers are not as tall and can cause serious problems that are not readily noticed. The increase in primer "headspace" gives the primer a running jump in slamming into the breech face. It can actually damage the breech face.

This very real possibility plus the extra distance the firing pin needs to travel before striking the LP primer adds up to a "not desired practice" for me.

Dale53

Stevejet
12-19-2007, 02:39 AM
All my W-W, Remington Large Pistol & Large Rifle primers all cost the same per carton price. I'd like to know where I can get Large Pistol primers for half the price of Large Rifle primers(?). And I see no reason to experiment with switching the things around.....dimensions and material thicknesses are existant for reasons (primer pocket depth, firing pin force AND primer flash intensity) and I stick to the reloading manuals and manufacturers recommendations! I just don't see what is gained with the prices being the same.

beleg2
12-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Stevejet,
Sorry I forget to mention that I live in Argentina and we have some importing problems. By now I can get Remington LP primers for $4.75 and Russian LR primers for $ 10.-.
I did not realice that LP were shorter.
Dale53
I use them by mistake because I did not relice it was not LR primer the first time.
I would probably use them for light loads as SoaS.
Thanks
Martin

Bret4207
12-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I've used them in the same type application with no problems. You just have to be aware of the sorter length and adjust for it.

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Ive used them for years on and off in lever guns with no problems. I dont think id use them for full power loads in a bolt gun though but for the level of loads your usually using with cast bullets there probably fine.

9.3X62AL
12-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Stevejet,
Sorry I forget to mention that I live in Argentina and we have some importing problems. By now I can get Remington LP primers for $4.75 and Russian LR primers for $ 10.-.
I did not realice that LP were shorter.
Dale53
I use them by mistake because I did not relice it was not LR primer the first time.
I would probably use them for light loads as SoaS.
Thanks
Martin

Beleg 2--

If that price is per 100, you'll never hear me whine about primer prices in my country again. I about fell over when I saw bricks of all Winchester primers priced at $34.95/1K at Bass Pro Shops on Thursday, but seeing what you have to pay in Argentina--I'll just stay low and keep dark.

smokemjoe
12-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I have a Rem. 700 with 4 -#9 target wt. barrels in 35 Rem. That action will not set off rifle primers, Have done everthing with it , So far I have used over 12,000 large pistol primers in it, Now I made a mistake last week and loaded 50 rds. for my 45 L.C. and used rifle primers, will they work in a S&W and a Ruger. Thanks for reading, Joe

NVcurmudgeon
12-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Beleg 2--

If that price is per 100, you'll never hear me whine about primer prices in my country again. I about fell over when I saw bricks of all Winchester primers priced at $34.95/1K at Bass Pro Shops on Thursday, but seeing what you have to pay in Argentina--I'll just stay low and keep dark.

I paid $36.02, including sales tax, for 1000 Rem. SR primers recently. The dealer suggested I buy the other 1000 he had on hand "because we can't even order any more of these." I declined on thinking that if he meant "couldn't order Rem." I'd have to change brands anyway; if he meant "couldn't order primers," it may be time to reactivate Committees of Correspondence.

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2007, 03:37 PM
i picked up a case of lg rifle and a case of small rifle today and didnt even need them. I wanted some more pistol primers but they were totaly out of every brand. Figured i had to buy something. Im down to only 3 cases of lg pistol and a little over 3 cases of small but it go through alot. These cases of rifle primers will proably last me over a year so i should be all set there anyway. My dealer said he still cant buy any primers right now. there just not available to him. He told me theres more cases of primers at my house then there is in his store right now.

kycrawler
12-23-2007, 10:42 PM
i ve used large pistol primers in cast bulet rifle loads and in 410 shotgun loads using 444 marlin rifle cases keep the pressure reasonable and you should be fine