PDA

View Full Version : Pacific powder measure find

Cmm_3940
02-21-2014, 10:05 PM
I was looking for something in the back of an old supply cabinet at my dad's place, and came across this gem in the rough, coated with rust and immobile. I disassembled it and removed all the rust, polished the surfaces, reblued where appropriate, and degreased. This old measure is now operating smooth as silk and throwing charges to 0.1gr. Now I wish I could find the bushing/drum/whatever I need to get it to throw pistol charges.

CastingFool
02-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Nice job!

MOcaster
02-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Will a Hornady drum fit it? If I'm remembering correctly, Hornady bought out Pacific and uses a very close, if not the same, design.

Great job on the restoration, by the way.

LUBEDUDE
02-22-2014, 12:39 AM
Looks a Great!

I believe the Hornady drum will work.

Mk42gunner
02-22-2014, 03:39 AM
It would certainly be worth a call to Hornady to find out if they have a drum that will fit it.

Robert

seagiant
02-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi,
Very nice! I would call Hornady also and tell them you're trying to bring an older PM back to life! They can be helpful!

Cmm_3940
02-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Looks like I will be contacting Hornady. I don't see any sort of model number on it. Maybe at the time they only made one model?

Edit

I found the original two page owners manual that was with it. There is no date but the appearance suggests 1960-something. This is the 'Deluxe' model with the standard rifle drum. Pistol and large rifle (up to 100 grains) drums are listed at $7.50 each.

Pressman
02-22-2014, 08:05 AM
That is an early Hornady Pacific. That was the primary Pacific measure when Hornady took them over, hence the red color and the Hornady sticker on the tube. Hornady "might" have parts, it would be worth a call.
On the other hand (thinking off the top of my head with NO coffee) I do not recall Pacific ever offering a smaller drum for handgun charges.
Ken

mac60
02-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Good job refurbishing the measure. I've had this since 1989 maybe 1990. It looks similar to yours.

It's been so long I can't remember if it came with 2 drums. I do remember it came with 2 micrometers, 1 for pistol and 1 for rifle. I couldn't find the pistol micrometer after hurricane Katrina and have never bothered to look for a replacement.

DonMountain
02-23-2014, 01:00 AM
I have two of the pacific powder measures that you restored. And they both have two separate measuring pistons that fit into the rotating drum through the slot in the front with which you dial in the powder charge. The rifle one has a rounded piston that completely fills the round hole in the drum, and the pistol one has a much smaller piston drilled through an aluminum sleeve that fits all the way to the face of the drum, conforming to the rounded face of the drum so no powder can fit in there. I use one of these powder measures mounted to the bench for both rifle and pistol loading in blocks, and the other one on an old PRO 7 press for both pistol and rifle calibers. And they both work well.

bhn22
02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
I have one too. I bought mine new, and it did come with two micrometer units, one large, and one small. I would imagine Hornady would still have the mic units available, but I'd try to find one on the internet first, rather than deal with their customer service lady again. It's been years now, and the thought of her still pisses me off. You may have better luck with her though.

Cmm_3940
02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I heard back from Hornady today. They don't have the additional parts available unfortunately. Guess I'll just have to break down and buy a second measure to do pistol charges. Oh, darn.[smilie=1: