PDA

View Full Version : JPW replacement

marc257
02-21-2014, 07:40 PM
I went to the local hardware store looking for JPW to try my hand at making 45/45/10. They didn't have any JPW but they had Minwax finishing wax. Shop owner said it was basically the same thing as Johnson's. Anybody ever tried in their recipe?

bangerjim
02-21-2014, 08:02 PM
JPW is at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Basically paste wax. Minwax may have other "stuff" in it than just pure wax. What you are really after is the carnauba wax in there.

I only use JPW for waxing my table saw top now that I have discovered powder coating for boolits!

bangerjim

rsrocket1
02-21-2014, 09:44 PM
I've found it in all the local Walmarts in the household cleaning sections.

williamwaco
03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Turtlewax makes a 100% carnauba auto wax you can buy at most auto supply stores.

I have not tried it as a substitute for JPW but I have tried it "straight" to see if it could be used in an emergency.
It worked great on target style handgun loads in .38/44 special but failed miserably in moderate .357 loads.

Wayne S
03-01-2014, 02:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Trewax-Paste-Wax-Clear-12-35-Ounce/dp/B005SRV1PI/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_text_y
But as others have stated , Lowes , HD, and wally world usually stock it

w5pv
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
The next time I mix some Bens Red,I haveTurtle wax that is in a can that I plan to use instead of JPW.The amounts I am not sure of but plan on starting at the same percentage as JPW.

Centaur 1
03-01-2014, 09:51 PM
I was always told not to use auto waxes for bullet lube. I don't think anybody really knows for sure, but the way I understand it the auto waxes all contain abrasives. When you rub the wax into your cars paint the abrasives remove any oxidation which brightens the finish. I'm sure that it wouldn't be as aggressive as fire lapping the bore, but extensive use might prematurely wear it out.

williamwaco
03-01-2014, 10:25 PM
The next time I mix some Bens Red,I haveTurtle wax that is in a can that I plan to use instead of JPW.The amounts I am not sure of but plan on starting at the same percentage as JPW.

I would sure like to hear how that works if you try it.

PS be sure it is the carnauba Turtle wax. They have several formulas and only one of them contains carnauba

texassako
03-01-2014, 10:43 PM
I use the minwax in place of jpw since I had it sitting on the shelf. It works well, but I also make my 45/45/10 a little different since I don't cook the solvents out of the wax.