PDA

View Full Version : Old Plumbers Furnace:

M71
02-21-2014, 04:46 PM
97342I'm new to casting and scrounged this old plumber's propane burner and a cast iron pot locally. I'll need an adjustable regulator, gas line and the proper couplings. I will be ladle pouring, making heavy PP and GG bullets for my 45-70. I'm assuming that with an adjustable regulator that this set up could maintain a steady temperature for casting. What are the pros and cons for this set up? I have not yet picked up this unit, I'm still scratching my head. It's $25.00 or $30.00. The pot is almost worth the asking price. Thank you.

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Looks like it would work to me

monadnock#5
02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I have something similar to yours, and it is the perfect thing for rendering wheel weights and scrap lead. I wouldn't use it for pouring boolits though. Not enough control over the temp swings. Start it up, and shortly it gets a liitle too hot, give it a tweak. Now too cool. By the time you find the sweet spot, the propane tank has run down to the point it's not pushing the gas as hard as it was 10 minutes ago.
So yes, keep it, use it, but sooner or later you'll end up with a bottom pour pot.

bangerjim
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
You will NOT want to use that for casting! No control!!!!

I have a similar one I use for smelting and it works great. Does NOT need a reg, just a hose directly off the propane tank. There is a cavity and orifice inside that allows just the right flow of gas into the burner to give you a fast hot flame. But be careful, your's may NOT be built that way and may need a HIGH PRESSURE regulator (in PSI).......not a BBQ reg (in INWC).

It will smelt well. Just not cast! Buy a bottom pour electric pot for casting. You will not be sorry!!!!!

banger

M71
02-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I appreciate your experienced advice. I'll be ordering clean lead from "Roto Metals", I don't need to smelt odd lots of scrap. I'll pass on this one and get a bottom pour 20 pound capacity from Lee. Thanks again!

KYCaster
02-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Well......here I am, going against the flow again.

Mine looks very similar to that, but screws directly to the top of the propane tank. I use mine for ladle casting with no issues. With a bit of experience, it isn't too difficult to regulate the temp. If I were closer, I'd jump on that for 25 bucks.

Jerry

BTW......If there's a community college or tech school nearby with a plumbing program, they'd love to have those caulking irons (the things that look like bent chisels) just to show the kids "how we used to do it".