PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan

jp1
02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Anybody shoot a Sheridan pneumatic? Very versatile with different power levels.

cbashooter
02-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I shoot a 1962 Thumb safety model. It’s a very good gun. I prefer the bit later(after1963) rocker safety. The thumb safety on the tang at an awkward location and makes me hold the gun weird.it gets a bit under 700 fps at 8 pumps with 14.3g pellets. With irons it shoots 1” or a bit better at 25 meters(the wide groups go 1.5"). I hear some guys do better and their guns shoot faster, but this is what mine does. Offhand with 4 pumps at 10 meters I shoot about ½” groups. Mine is freshly rebuilt. The older ones are trim and a joy to handle.

Johnny_V
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
I got one last year for my 60th birthday from my brother (who got his back in '63 - he's 11 years my elder), and I shoot consistant 1" - 1½" groups at 40 feet, with 8 pumps, offhand. Just love it........

rking22
02-21-2014, 07:48 PM
I have and shoot a thumb safety from roughly 59 or 60. It's my favorite air rifle. It has a factory adjustable pump rod and adjusted to zero waste space I get about 700FPS on 6 pumps with Field Target Specials. Groups tight ,3/8 at 20 yards but mostly plink with it at bottle caps and occasionally squirrel hunt with it. I used to keep a 10meter offhand group in my desk drawer,it was 5 pellets stuck one into the base of the next, about a 3/8 dia wad of pellets stuck in the ductseal!
The stocks from that time period are very elegant compared to the later rockers and current stuff. If you keep your eyes open you can find one for less than a new crossman version. Gave 50 for mine in an antique shop. Had 6 pellets in the barrell and needed resealing. About 20$ for the seals and tool ,they just don't make them like that anymore.

Cmm_3940
02-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Wow. That's going back a bit. Do they still make these things? This one is a good bit older than I am and still works fine as far as I can tell. Other than that, I don't know a thing about it.

rking22
02-21-2014, 10:00 PM
thats a rocker safety , and without looking stuff up I would say mid 60s , the lack of drill and tap for a reciever sight and the rear sight as well as the trim butstock. Do some I-net reasearch and you can get it pretty close. At any rate you have a very desirable version. They shoot quite well with crossman premiers or some of the H&N pellets. Don't get hungup on the quest for velocity. The great thing about airguns is the accuracy and a quiet peaceful day shooting. No matter how fast you drive a 177.20, or22 pellet it will not become a 22 rimfire in power. BUT a 177,20,or 22 pellet at 750fps or so will cleanly take smalll game just as well as a 22 without to 35 yards or so. At that velocity you can eliminate starlings out to 55 yards, consistently if you can see that well! The Sheridans are a classic,enjoy yours and pass it down thru the family.

rking22
02-21-2014, 10:04 PM
oops, I think they are still made , Crossman owns the rights and has been selling the 20 cal version as a Sheridan and the 22 as a Benjiman. I have one from mid 1990s as well , not as nice as the old ones but still very accurate and well made.

Bent Ramrod
02-22-2014, 05:49 PM
rking22, my Sheridan also has the thumb safety, and it had 8 pellets stuck in the barrel when I bought it used. I usually use 6 pumps, because the first one leaks some as the seals seat. The rest of the pumps seem effective and I hear no leakage before I shoot it, but I probably will need to repair it eventually. Did you get a seal kit from Crosman?

I tried to contact Crosman 25 years or so ago for repair parts for my old Benjamin airguns and they nearly had a cow. I got a letter from their legal department advising me not to shoot, or repair, or do anything with those old airguns. Not nuthin' not nohow! No parts available any more either.

missionary5155
02-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Greetings
When up north there I get out my "Blue Streak". Bought it back about 1978 in Chatanooga. Put a receiver sight on it and it is a deadly air rifle. 7-9 pumps depending on range and target. One fine tool to exterminate pigeons, gophers and sparrows. Makes a fun squirrel rifle also when low noise is needed.
Mike in Peru

Blanket
02-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I have both an older Blue and Silver streak made in Racine with rocker safeties as well as a Knockabout. I shoot them more than my 22 rifles now a days. Where I live I can take a couple of hours walk in the woods without seeing another person or house an shoot a lot of small game with the old airguns

rking22
02-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Hi bent, can imagine how you got that handle :) there are lots of parts for benjis and sheridans out there and they aren't NOS. I can't remember who I got my seals and tools from. I'll look in my drawer tomorrow and post again. I think he was in the Carolinas , good guy and very knowledagable. Just need to get the right set for the gun (and the valve tool), install is easy . If you can cast good bullets you will no problem with the reseal! Crossman has no parts for the older guns and too many lawyers. The old ones are well built and if they are in resonabally good shape with no rust they are generally safe, kinda like don't run with a knife :) Your mileage my vary! I see you are in Ca , Tim McMurry could be your guy. He does some serious power upgrades to them, not for me ,I'm happy with the stock power on 6 pumps. But he has all you need and will do the reseal if you like. Mild to wild. Enjoy the hump safety , I think they are some kind of special.

trapper9260
02-23-2014, 10:05 AM
I got one back in the mid to late 80's and i like it .I have not user it much now.but it is still a good gun when you need low sound.

Bent Ramrod
02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks, rking. I'll be glad of any info you can dig up.

Any 10 year old in the Good Old Days knew that when you inadvertently pulled the trigger on your Benjamin with the safety "on," the bolt would partially go forward and stop on the safety. In order to take the safety "off," you had to cock the gun again. Not exactly a Model 70 safety, but for 29 bucks, any safety was a luxury. I've never seen one that you could take the safety off (and have the gun go off) without recocking first, but I imagine a lawyer would have a cardiac seizure over the dire potential consequences.

I have a Benjamin tool and some valves and lead washers, but nothing for the Sheridan. I'll check with Mr. McMurry as well. I looked for several years for a Sheridan with the thumb safety since a friend in my youth had that model and I envied him enormously. Thanks again.

Clay M
02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
I have an old Sheridan from the 60's. It needs some repair. Does anyone know of a shop that can work on these old guns?

Thanks,
Clay M

rking22
02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Try this link, good folks.
http://www.bryanandac.com/SiteIndex.htm

hope that works

HARRYMPOPE
02-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Ollie Damon is Portland Oregon.

Old_School
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks, rking. I'll be glad of any info you can dig up.

Any 10 year old in the Good Old Days knew that when you inadvertently pulled the trigger on your Benjamin with the safety "on," the bolt would partially go forward and stop on the safety. In order to take the safety "off," you had to cock the gun again. Not exactly a Model 70 safety, but for 29 bucks, any safety was a luxury. I've never seen one that you could take the safety off (and have the gun go off) without recocking first, but I imagine a lawyer would have a cardiac seizure over the dire potential consequences.

I have a Benjamin tool and some valves and lead washers, but nothing for the Sheridan. I'll check with Mr. McMurry as well. I looked for several years for a Sheridan with the thumb safety since a friend in my youth had that model and I envied him enormously. Thanks again.

Rick Willnecker of Precision Pellet is another good shop. He specializes in the old Crosmans, Benjamins, & Sheridans. He makes parts that are no longer available and his repair rates are very reasonable. His website is: www.airgunshop.net

Bent Ramrod
02-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks to all for the info. It's good to know there is still support for these good guns.

Johnny_V
02-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Try this link, good folks.
http://www.bryanandac.com/SiteIndex.htm

hope that works

That's the place where we obtained the new seals for my brother's Blue Streak. A bit tricky to get back together, but works like brand spanking new now.

rking22
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Thats the great thing about these rifles. They are low tech ,robust, and there are so many out there that parts will be available for a very long time! If taken care of they will last lifetimes! The fact they shoot so well makes them extra special. I have an 80s rocker safety that I am presently rebuilding to have one with the peep sight. My thump safety isn't D&T so factory opens there and I built a set of scope mounts to put a little 5/8 tube Burris pistol scope on a mid 90s new style. Guess it's kinda obvious I like these rifles. The thumb safety goes woods walking frequently in the spring and fall.

tacofrank
02-27-2014, 06:20 PM
I have an old Silver Streak with the tang safety. I don't know when it was made but shot it a lot in the early sixties. It's missing the rear sight elevation screw and it won't old air. I'd like to repair it. Can any of you tell me where to buy the parts and may be the instructions for doing the work.
Would I be ruining it's value if I refinished the stock?
Thanks for any help/advise.
TF

Pakprotector
02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
I got two rebuilt by Tim McMurray of Mac1 airguns in California. They shoot a 13.73 gr JSB Exact at 20 FPE on 12 pumps( 800 fps ). I plink on 4-6 pumps on 10m ranges inside( or out ), and they're quite accurate with either diopter sights of scopes. One is a '63 Rocker safety and the other a '73. Store un-cocked with 3-4 pumps in the tank and they'll continue delivering fine service.
cheers,
Douglas

rking22
02-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Taco , post 15,16, and 17 have links to repair/parts folks. All referenced ancluding Mc1 are good to deal with. Buy the tool that fits the valve lock nut, it is the correct shape and hollow to clear the valve stem. I put mine back stock power ,the steroid streak is awesome also , think about what you want to do with it. I think both shopes referenced above send instructions with seal kit, call and ask.

tacofrank
03-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks rking22,
I appreciate the tip.
Thanks Again,
TF