PDA

View Full Version : Building a Bullseye 1911 and need help on barrel

Benchrest500
02-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Building a Bullseye 1911 and need help on barrel

I shoot my own cast bullets (Lee Microband 200SWC)

I was all planned on getting a Wilson 33G and a guy who has been building 1911's a long time told me
The Willson has shallow rifling and a Kart, Ed Brown, Bar-Sto would be a better choice for lead

Any input here would be very helpful since this will be a "Fit" barrel not a drop in

clyde-the-pointer
02-21-2014, 07:07 AM
You might want to post this question on 1911.com

I know Kart's are well regarded, along with Bar-Sto. There are people who know lots more than me on the subject.

gmsharps
02-21-2014, 07:39 AM
A Kart is a mighty fine barrel. There are 7 if I remember correctly presision cuts to make on the barrel to fit it. The Bar-Sto is a good barrel also. Either one will give you good service. My Karts are good enough for me though.

gmsharps

marvelshooter
02-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Another plug for Kart here. I used what was called a hard fit barrel that needed machining to fit the frame and then it needed to be finish chambered. I also remember Kart selling an easy fit barrel with instructions as a kit. I just checked Brownell's and it is listed but out of stock at the moment.

philthephlier
02-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Absolutely a Kart!!!. If you are handy get the easy fit barrel they have. You'll need a few special tools they sell that include a barrel guide, a file that fits between the barrel lugs that engage the slide during lockup, and a feeler gauge to set the proper spacing between the barrel hood and the slide. Full instructions included with the barrel. The tool kit is about $35. My SA GI model has one I installed about 5000 rounds ago. It turned the basic model 1911 into a scary accurate pistol.

2shot
02-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Go to any NRA Bullseye match and Kart will be 9 out of 10 barrels on the guns there. That in itself says a lot about Kart barrels.

2shot

CBH
02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I have a Kart in my match grade 1911. Shoots great. Fitting by a knowledgeable, experienced smith, essential.

GBertolet
02-21-2014, 12:45 PM
I had a Wilson barrel on my 1911. Would not shoot cast bullets very well. OK for IPSC, not OK for bullseye. The rifling seemed to be very shallow. Probably better suited for jacketed bullets. I would stay away from this barrel for building a bullseye gun.

EMC45
02-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Kart. I don't have one (yet). I have fired a good bit of ammo out of 2 of them and they are super accurate barrels. They were both the "Easy Fit" type.

Benchrest500
02-21-2014, 02:10 PM
WOW!!!

Well I got some responses,,,,, THANKS!!

So seems the guy I spoke with knew what he was talking about in that the Wilson might not be a good match for lead.

YES I saw where Brownells was out of stock on Kart and Midway shows as discontinued,, I may need to call Kart and see what's up

ONCE AGAIN THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of the old girl,,,

Made in 1918 by Colt
Left on a battlefield WW1
Found where left in WW2 and brought home by unknown
Guy with details died with details (estate find)
Daughter and I have been working on it
**** load of straightening (gun was all bent up, left trigger guard alone)
Acid stripped the frame and slide
Then brushed it down with Dicropan IM
Took #360 paper to the high spots
lapped the slide after peaning the frame and squeezing the slide in a vise
Nice tight fit, no play
Old School trigger shoe w/over travel
Old School Franzite Grips
3# trigger (using ORIGINAL sear)

But the real credit to the finish was the 25 years or so in the field
If it could ONLY talk,,,,

Benchrest500
02-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Hey I ordered 2 easy fit barrel kits today from Kart, got set up as a dealer so looks like I'll be be doing more with Kart,
Very nice people over the phone.

I did get the tool kit as well, for the money I figured what the ,,,,

Once again THANK YOU for all the advice!

detox
02-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't a harder alloy lead bullet work with shallow grooves.

MtGun44
02-23-2014, 03:56 AM
Kart.

Bill

Silver Jack Hammer
02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Our area 1911 guru who was taken from us before his time told us that Schuemann barrels were the best. Schuemann is currently experiencing delays from back orders and equipment repair.

boatbum101
02-24-2014, 01:57 AM
All my 45 wadguns have Kart barrels . My hardball guns have IMI & Barsto . KKM is also outstanding for jacketed & the current rage for 9mm rather in Military match M9's or a 1911 . Like the Nowlin barrels they've a tighter bore & require a special reamer .

bobthenailer
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I installed two Match Kart EZ fit barrels using there instulation kit in my 1911s a 38 super and another in 45 acp I am very satisfied with them !
Previously i allways had my match 1911 barrels installed by pistol smiths , i used the folowing makes two Clark , two Nowlin , one Henie, barrels