PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the top punch, a bit of math & measurement for the Star

enfieldphile
02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
I found lubing a boolit with a single, wide lube groove to be easy with the Star.

Then I switched to the Lee RN 452-228-1R. This is a design with 2 very narrow lube grooves. I have found in the past, only the bottom groove really requires lube. Getting this boolit to be properly lubed in the Star was a challenge!

Yes, I read the Star instructions carefully. I have come up with a method, which I feel is a good way to get within a 1/4 turn of the punches proper position when lubing boolits with a critical positioning owing to a narrow lube groove.

First, I pondered how I was going to push the boolit in the die and align that tiny hole and narrow groove. Then I realized, I don't have to! :)

The outside of the die had lube on it, so I simply scrapped away lube to expose one lube hole. Then I pressed the boolit firmly against the outside of the die; while making sure that bottom lube groove of the boolit was aligned with the lube hole in the die. The lube held the boolit firmly in place. Hold the top of the die firmly against the edge of the bench. Measure with a caliper from the bench to the bottom of the boolit. This is measurement "A".

Install the die in the Star. Lower the Star press handle all the way down. With a caliper measure the distance from the top of the die to bottom of the threaded boss where punch threads into. This is measurement "B".

C = Total of A + B in inches. Applied where distance is set from the bottom of Lathesmith punch (where it touches a boolit which is in the die) to the top of Lathesmith nut with Allen screw.

Boolit: Lee RN 452-228-1R
A = .780
B = .475
C = 1.250

After adjusting the nut on the punch and lightly tightening the Allen screw, I threaded the punch into the Star. I put a line on the side of the punch facing me with a Sharpe pen. I tried lubing the boolit. The adjustment was just a hair off. I loosened the Allen screw and turned the punch down 1/4 of a turn. I lightly tightened the Allen screw. Bingo! The bottom groove was now perfectly lubed.

Kudos to Chris (Lathesmith) for giving us the punch nuts with the Allen screw! 8-) Without this nifty item, this process could be a real test of ones patience! :wink:

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:45 PM
I find that with experience it is easy to get things lined up quickly. I don't measure or use lock nuts, just start sizing and make small adjustments.

DRNurse1
02-20-2014, 11:57 PM
I find that with experience it is easy to get things lined up quickly. I don't measure or use lock nuts, just start sizing and make small adjustments.

I agree, but have devised a speedy set up: when I have a boolit loobing properly, I drop a short dowel in the loob/sizing die and cut it flush with the top of the die. Remove it (or push it through) and label with the boolit mould, die used, and anything else useful.

I keep these slugs in a clear plastic jug to my lubrisizer and use them to position the first boolit after changing back to that die. After exchanging dies, I start the first boolit into the die then put the plug on top and lower the ram until flush with the die. This gives me a pretty good starting point, and I waste less time and fewer boolits in set up. I happen to use wood but copper, brass (cut cases), or aluminum should work as well, as long as it is not harder than your die.