PDA

View Full Version : Gatofeo's Lube

rodwha
02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Anyone else using this for their cap n ball bullets/REAL rifle conicals?

John Allen
02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I do I use it for all my black powder guns

G50-70
02-21-2014, 10:47 AM
I use it to lube felt wads for my .36 cal 1851 Navy. I use a 3/8" punch and punch wads out of 1/8"
Duro-Felt. Works great.

jgh4445
02-21-2014, 11:36 PM
I use it for cap and ball, for lubed wads and I use it to pan lube my bullets for my 45-70 sharps. Good stuff!

dikman
02-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Yep. Use it to lube felt wads, make wax pills and have tried it as a patch lube. Simple, with good wholesome ingredients :grin:.

jgh4445
03-05-2014, 10:57 AM
It has been working fine up until last night. I was in a hurry to cast some 45LC. I cast two different designs, waited for them to cool and then ran them thru my lubrasizer with a 452 sizing die. I used no lube in the lubrasizer, preferring to pan lube. I put the quart jar of solid lube in a double boiler and melted it down. Then, I line up all of theboolits in the shallow pan and poured the lube on. After about an hour and a half, I checked on them to see if I could punch the boolits out. The lube was still a bit warm in the middle so I left it until this morning. I pushed a couple of boolits out and no lube is in the grooves. This is true of both style boolits. Never had this happen before. This method of lubing has always worked well. What gives? Is it possible that I've melted the lube too many times? I've melted it two times in the past. Perplexed.

John Boy
03-05-2014, 11:09 AM
For starters, Gatofeo did not invent this lube, he only communicated the recipe that was in a 1943 American Rifleman article
Yes, I have used the lube for since about 2003 when Gatofeo posted the recipe on the defunct Frontier Spot forum. It is an excellent recipe. My next batch, I plan to substitute the bees wax with microcrystalline wax because it will increase fouling control for BPCR reloads in that the wax does not leave a residue as does bees wax

dikman
03-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Perplexing indeed. I can't see how melting it a couple of times could affect it and make it not stick. After all, it's not as if it has fancy volatile solvents in it or anything. The only thing I can think of is some sort of contaminant on the boolits. (I melted some today to soak some patches in. The weather was pretty warm (90*F) so it was already a bit soft and stuck to everything it touched before I even melted it!!).

alamogunr
03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Is this the lube that uses tallow & beeswax? I've still got a part of a pint jar left. I use it to lube felt wads for my Ruger Old Army.

Does Gatofeo still post anywhere. His posts on another forum got me started with the ROA.

dikman
03-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Yep, that's the stuff (also has paraffin wax in it).