PDA

View Full Version : Loading tool?

jhalcott
02-20-2014, 09:26 PM
I have a Chinese air rifle, an under lever, grooved receiver type. When you cock it, the breech opens to allow loading the pellet into the chamber. This is an accurate rifle, shooting .177 pellets about 800 fps with a 4x scope and bag rested at 10 yards in my basement. The problem is LOADING the pellet into the chamber thru that small hole in the top of the receiver! Fat fingers and arthritic hands are not designed for this! I have been using a pair of forceps, but it is still a chore for me. Is there some tool that allows you to load this type of air gun easily?

meece
02-20-2014, 09:40 PM
This is a common problem with a lot of our air rifle shooters that use under lever rifles. I shoot air rifles competitively and so far no one has come up will an idea or tool that works well the reloading click pens work really well with the break barrels but not the under levers I've found having a slightly sticky thumb and sort of sticking the skirt on to your thumb and then feeding it into the hole works best for me lo l

Multigunner
02-20-2014, 11:47 PM
You might try taking a piece of coat hanger wire tapering one end to fit the cavity at the base of the pellet, then bending the wire so you can use it to position the pellet in the breech.
A thicker and stiffer wire would be better.

Multigunner
02-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Just remembered.
I have probe used in electronics repairs that would be perfect for the purpose.
I'll see if I can find it to determine the name of the tool and where to find one.
This tool has a hexagonal section alloy grip with one end split and the other with tapered point bent at an angle.

To use it for loading you should hold the rifle muzzle up till you get the pellet in the chamber then point the muzzle down as you withdraw the probe.

jhalcott
02-21-2014, 05:12 PM
I bought a pair of "bent" forceps that I grab the skirt with and push the pellet into the chamber. This is slow process and I NEED to carry it with me into the field where I'll probably loose it. I am HOPING for some thing like the muzzle loaders use to install caps. Several pellets in the device and a PLUNGER to shove them into the chamber. Did I mention that I have arthritic hands/fingers? Manipulating the forceps, holding the gun and pellet, gripping the pellet, then loading the chamber and then closing the action, seems a simple task. Tape some pop sickle sticks to your fingers and try it! I'm NOT crying about it, I just want an easier way to load. Thanks for the replies.

W.R.Buchanan
02-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Another way to go is to get rid of that gun and get yourself a break barrel gun. This would fix the problem permanently .

Then you could use the little loading dispensers that Pyramyd Air sells for $10 that work really well.

Unless "YOU" invent something that will do the job, I think you are kind of SOL, as I have seen or heard of nothing that will do it that you can buy off the shelf.

I have and HW77 which is and underlever gun, but the breach of that gun opens pretty wide, and as such is not a problem to load with a thumb and forefinger.

Randy

Multigunner
02-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I am HOPING for some thing like the muzzle loaders use to install caps. Several pellets in the device and a PLUNGER to shove them into the chamber.
I have one of those cappers, when the topic first came up I thought about modifying one of these for the purpose.

Tape some pop sickle sticks to your fingers and try it! I'm NOT crying about it, I just want an easier way to load.
Your mentioning pop cycle sticks reminded me of something.
To fish small parts out of tight places I've stuck two sided tape on the end of a popcycle stick.

You might try that. Place the pellets skirt up in a rack of some sort, perhaps a block with holes drilled in a line, and use the adhesive on the end of a stick to pick up the pellet and transfer it to the breech.
The double sided tape used to hold small objects secure on shelves and prevent vases from tipping over is fairly thick and rubbery, far less likely to damage the thin skirt than the forceps would be.

Multigunner
02-23-2014, 09:29 PM
If your thumb is not badly affected you could put the double sided tape on the pad of your thumb, that might be easier.

Silver Eagle
03-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Have heard of people using an allen wrench of the right size to assist in getting the pellet in the breech.
Also, check to see how tight the breech is. A bunch of Chinese guns have basically no lead in for the pellet. This means that you are basically forcing the pellet straight into the rifling. Also, pellets vary widely in dimensions. If the head is large for your breech it will be difficult to get started. Likewise, if the skirt is a bit larger, it will be harder to seat flush. Try different brands and styles of pellets to identify which ones are easier to load and accurate enough for your needs. Hopefully the accurate ones will also be easily loadable.
Some people have enlarged the breach a hair with a reamer or stone to make it easier to insert a pellet.