PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions for the 4" Buck Chuck #1434

ohland
02-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Folks, I went thru a bit more valuta than I wanted, but I have a 4" Ajust-Tru three jaw chuck mounted (well, soon to be mounted to) my Kalamazoo A1 5C Universal Indexer.

This chuck has a well that fits on the A1's spindle. 4 set screws at 90 degrees adjust it to dead on. Ran into a bit of a bummer, the mounting socket head screws used to mount the 1434 to a MT5 mount are @ 1/8 too long (2.13 OAL, 1.94" below socket head), and they bear against the spindle. No head rotation possible.

My chuck measures 1.712 thick. The socket head countersink is .205 (+ a few). Total mounting bolt (look at B-7) shank and thread length inside the chuck is 1.507 (one and a half inch). The A1 spindle web that is D&T for this exact chuck is .305" thick. So after lots of tedious math that some here can't stand, the 10-24 socket head screw can be 1.75 to 1.80 inches below the socket head.

OBTW, the 1434 chuck has patent# 2639157

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US2639157.pdf

:coffeecom

W.R.Buchanan
02-22-2014, 09:03 PM
I guess there is a question in there someplace.

Thread a nut onto each screw and grind them down until they are a length that will clear. Then thread the nut off and it will clear the threads for you.

Or you can go buy shorter bolts.

When you get the chuck mounted onto it's backing plate, chuck up a piece of round stock, (that is actually round) and indicate the chuck in.

You'll be ready to go then.

Randy

ohland
02-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Thread a nut onto each screw and grind them down until they are a length that will clear. Then thread the nut off and it will clear the threads for you.
When you get the chuck mounted onto it's backing plate, chuck up a piece of round stock, (that is actually round) and indicate the chuck in.Randy

Came to that conclusion Friday evening, but no 10-24 nuts on hand, Saturday was the gun show.

Better way to set up the adjust-tru, use a 5c 13/16 collet, indicate with my Blake Co-Ax so the head is at zero. Pull the collet, install the 1434, stuff a 13/16 blank in the jaws, and set it up. Now the 1434 will be concentric to the bore.

Now if I could find out the part number for the inner AND outer jaw sets....

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Are you sure the chuck is an actual "Buck" Chuck or is it a Putnam. The drawing looks like a Putnam, or it could be some other brand.

I don't believe Buck made chucks smaller than 6" that were actual "Adjust-Tru" chucks. If it has jaws that bolt to the jaw nuts on the face of the chuck with two bolts each then it might be a Buck, but the Bucks all inside/outside style jaws, not two different sets. Also the Adjust-Tru chucks have opposing set screws that physically jack the chuck body back an forth over the mounting plate which the mounted to the spindle. The bolts on the face of the chuck body simply hold the chuck to the face plate, the Set screws on the sides position it.

If the jaws are solid one piece and have separate inside/outside sets then it is probably a Putnam Chuck. Putnam made the majority of chucks for Hardinge and I have two Putnam/Hardinge 5" chucks one set up with inside jaws and one with outside jaws, and then two 6" Buck/Hardinge Chucks, with interchangeable jaws.

I use all of them for specific purposes.

Randy

ohland
02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Had to leave and run the Brittany Spaniel.

Well, it has 1434, the Buck Ajust-Tru patent #, and the Buck medallion in the face. Perhaps Putnam OEM'd it under license?

It has the mounting bolts thru the face (all six on the circumference), then it has the further six bolts towards the center which hold the two halves of the chuck together. Took the chuck apart to clean out any grit, it was a tight fit getting the scroll out. Still some grit in there, it might be on the pinion gear. Need to go after it with a brush.

It is an Ajust-Tru, with four set screws bearing on individual bearing points (think of little top hats, a cylinder with a flange to keep the bearing in the bore), where the bearing points move the chuck around the central hub. As you say, the six mounting bolts keep the chuck body down on the mounting surface.

97776 97784 97788

It has the inner set of one piece jaws on it (highest part of jaws to center), not the jaws with a removable top jaw (which would have made things MUCH simpler). I saw another auction with both sets (inner and outer) for about $350 more.... Could Putnam have OEM'd this, or just as good, would Putnam solid jaws work on this?

ohland
02-25-2014, 05:21 PM
After a bit of fiddling about, milled all six mounting bolts to 1.740-ish (super precise measurement, like a skosh), touched them up a bit on the belt sander, and mounted the 1434 on the Kalamazoo A1 5C Universal Indexer.

Simple set-up, used a pair of stainless steel nuts to support the bolt against the side thrust of the mill. Had to remove one nut after the first .100" cut and then cut the next .100". For some odd reason, when I tried to start the zinc plated nuts at Ace Hardware, they didn't start on any of the 10-24 bolts that I tried. Went to the other side of the aisle and tried the stainless steel nuts. The SS nuts all threaded on smoothly... But cost about half again as much....

Bottom of the 1434 next to the A1 Indexer. Some optical errata, perhaps low battery. Charging it now, when its done, I'll use my lens cleaning kit to clean the lens.

Lastly, the 1434 happily mounted on the A1 spindle... There are at least two other chucks that are a direct fit, one being the Buck #1462 4 inch six jaw chuck, and the Pratt-Burnerd 1520-11001 4 jaw chuck. Kalamazoo does say that there is one more chuck, a #3434...

Kalamazoo Industries tech support:
The A1 uses a Buck 4" 3 jaw or 6 jaw chuck that mounts onto the A1 spindle face with cap screws thru the front of the chuck. It was designed for a Buck Tool Chuck years ago but be careful that you use the older Buck Chuck as I believe the new ones do not have the same recess as the old Adjust-tru chucks do. We have new 4" 3 jaws chucks in stock # 3434... Look for old style # 1434 or # 1462 Buck chucks.

Painstakingly cleaned out each tooth on the scroll and the pinion with a paper towel folded over a small screwdriver's point. Much smoother and almost no grit in the scroll, still needs a better lube than way oil. But it does work.

:2 drunk buddies:

W.R.Buchanan
02-27-2014, 09:04 PM
OK that is the first 4" chuck like that that I have seen in 35 years. so you learn something everyday. It is definitely a Buck Adjust Tru chuck.

I think unless you are very lucky or have the ability to summon divine intervention, you will probably need to go to Buck for the jaws and that will probably be a long shot as well. I know guys who have made chuck jaws however they were not the scrolled ones but the bolt on ones like on my 6" chuck.

Randy

ohland
02-27-2014, 11:11 PM
summon divine intervention Randy

Fresh out of rubber chickens. Wish I had the Buck part number for the jaws, that might help. When I looked about, Buck sorta looses track of things before the AT class of chucks. They mention 1434 and 1462 on their cross reference for the old chucks. Even then, the list is not for a direct replacement, eg. the well for the ajust-tru might be different.

BUT... I can try and see if the similar sized AT chuck jaws would fit. What the heck, it's dam*ably cold outside, no booze at hand, and that all is boring...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But there probably won't be much gained...

"It's not YOUR fault, but it is YOUR problem".... wish I could have patented that line...