PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Ideal Ezy-Loader

scpaul
02-20-2014, 06:39 PM
I bought a Lyman Ideal Ezy-Loader, cheap from a guy cleaning out junk ,his words not mine. It looks almost new,still bolted inside a nice metal carry box.It also had a Lyman Ideal Prime-o-Matic. So far I have read that it's an early model because it's all ferrious metal; no aluminum that I can find.Is this press rare/collectable ? I have pretty complete loading bench, does it do anything particularly well? Well enough to justify moving presses around ? I like the way it looks, if nothing else I have a display-type case and a open area on the load room wall. I was told they make an adapter where I can use modern shell holders. Does anyone have info on that company? Thanks,The newbie....Paul

44Vaquero
02-20-2014, 07:04 PM
It's a great curio/relic from the days gone by when even bad ideas were executed quality manufacturing! They suffered from various issues including a priming system never really worked that great.

J-type shell holders are often up for sale on E-bay and Lyman still sells the J to X adaptor for use with modern shell holders. But you need to buy 3 of everything.

Put it on the wall as a collectable conversation piece.

Posting some pics too!

yman
02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Nice score, one mans junk, would love to see some pics.

scpaul
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Would love to send some pics. Unless there's a way to do it with an OLD style flip phone (screen roughly 1.75/2.0 inchs) I can't do it. I'm not really wild about phones or cameras,both can get you in trouble, and phones never ring at a good time.I've been loading for some testing tomorrow. I kept looking at it, I think I'm going to put it on one of my load benchs for looks if for no other reason. I found the original directions in the Prime-o-matic box,I guess even old paper was better.I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Thanks again , Paul

44Vaquero
02-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Here is a link to an older conversation about the press with some pictures too! Pay attention to Pressman's comments as he is the resident information on all old presses.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?87870-Lyman-Easy-Loader-press

scpaul
02-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Thank you very much. Now I don't know....problems and all I was going to set it up on one of my benchs if for no other reason than nostalga, kind'a like the old computer storing the worm in the movie "Swordfish". Now I'm back to the display case and the area on the wall. Man I wanted it to work good enough to use for something!!! (LIGHT BULB) I know I'll use it with my RCBS universal de-prime die, talk about overkill and wasteing space ; ya' gotta' do wat ya' gotta' do. Thanks again Paul

salpal48
02-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I have one and still use it some times . I only have a limited # of sizing dies . I use it to load 300 H&H and use the Prime O Matic. very , very slow. The J shell holder with The spring Loaded Gate are the one's to use with primer feed . The gate prevent the primer from dropping multiple primer on the holder. . Like said before Looks good and if you enjoy old tools It's nice .
I sure some one will buy it If you sell it. I am alway looking for other size dies but not to use on a regular Basis Too many different dies and too many shell holder. I alway though the machine was good for it's day

scpaul
02-22-2014, 10:48 AM
When you refer to the dies you are looking for I think you must mean the die that goes in the ctr. ***.? I've seen referances to it being different(skinnier so it will fit ?) but I've not seen one yet. Other than that one I understand the others are standard dies...right? Any info/pics. would help. What am I looking at price and availability wise for the dies? Thanks Paul

Wayne Smith
02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Is this the one that has a center station where the die screws in from the bottom? A rather unique die.

salpal48
02-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Yes the resizing die fits in The center with the thin Part @ the top . This die is not standard 7/8x14 The 2 outer die holes generally use 310 dies for expanding and seating. Again the 2 holes on the front I have been told that sometime snap off under pressure of FL resizing. I have used them with standard dies to Resize and this has not happened to me . I do take that into consideration when I use them
Sal

Pressman
02-23-2014, 07:27 AM
I have fit SOME Redding dies in the rear die station, if they have a small enough diameter top. Some lathe work could turn most dies down enough to fit. Basically you have to remove the knurling, it does not take a lot of material removal. Finding originals is tough, most folks do not know what they are when they see them. The press works OK with carbide dies in handgun calibers.

If yours is really clean and the can likewise you are looking at $125.00 or so on eBay. The cast iron presses with the top opening can are not so common and have a bit more collector interest.
Ken