PDA

View Full Version : I didn't want to mess up a thread

smokesahoy
02-20-2014, 03:44 PM
In the active group buy there is a 308 hunting boolit thread where a European mentioned he uses it for an airgun. I'm so confused people hunt with these. It seems like they can drive a hunting boolit to 800 or so fps and kill game animals.. Not just squirrels. Wow that is handgun territory.

If they can down something with essentially 380 acp ballistics why do we feel the need to run the same boolit 2-4 times faster? I realize that performance is higher but you can only make something dead. Once dead you can't make it deader really.

I'm just so confused. They only have 1 shot too.

Is this for real or am I not comprehending something? Granted they probably only used it because of giving up their freedom left them with no other options but there are a lot of pics of animals put in the freezer from airguns so it must be repeatable. Weird.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Holes kill stuff. It's really that simple.

starmac
02-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Slingshots makes stuff dead, but I am more accurate with my 45/70. lol

williamwaco
02-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Higher velocity buys you more range.

HarryT
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
If you have good stalking skills, you don't need range.

Blammer
02-20-2014, 05:13 PM
I think they push them faster than 800fps. :)

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Some of those airguns are pretty neat. I like the 45 and 50 cal ones. Pretty much per bullet size and weight they will do what a muzzle loader will do.

dtknowles
02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I have an Air Rifle that approximates .380 ACP ballistics but it is a 6 shot lever action repeater Career 303 in 9mm. I have not hunted with it. I am sure it is deadly on up to small deer out to 25 yards. I think a lot of air rifle hunters think mostly of head shots. You don't need powder, primers or electricity, just lead, a mold, a dipper, a fire and a willingness to pump up the reservoir. It is heavy as **** not very practical but it is still fun to shoot and it might be shooting when nothing else is available.

Tim

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Range...
Last fall there was a rabbit in my backyard near the back of my garage. The local rabbits eat pretty good in my garden and I don't like that fact. I live in town, so a firearm is out of the question ...and I didn't have an air rifle handy to shoot that rabbit with, So I stepping into the garage and grabbed a small piece of scrap lumber, (think a chunk of 2x4 the size of a baseball). I threw it at the rabbit (20' away) to scare that critter off. I must have hit him in the temple with a point of the wood, cause he dropped like a rock...blood uzed from his mouth seconds later. I didn't even throw it that hard.
DEAD !

Pb2au
02-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Holes kill stuff. It's really that simple.

Add hole, blood pressure drops, end of story.

Sweetpea
02-20-2014, 11:12 PM
If you have good stalking skills, you don't need range.

I'd like to show you some open country...

MaryB
02-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Try it on prairie dogs out in the Dakotas... what cover?

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2014, 06:31 AM
At one time I saw a buck across a bare 40 acre field.Stopped the car,ducked thru the 4 strand fence and stalked up to within 20 feet of the buck before the wind changed.

Yes the old fashion way. Soft thin leather moccasins sure beat store bought shoes every time.

That was one of the times, another time was when I got close enough to see the wiskers move on a does nose.

It also helps if you take the time to study just what your target does as it moves thru a field grazing peacefully away. Watch to see if they move their ears or head before raising their head to look around.

All of these skills enabled the natives to put food on the table long before they developed bows and arrows.

Yes it takes time and patience but the memories last forever.

MBTcustom
02-21-2014, 07:33 AM
The truth is: Yes, we are drastically overkilling our game animals with extreme prejudice and hoping it's enough to do the job. Check out the link in my sig line. Read the OP, then skip to the last page where I just typed up the whole story and my conclusions.
That is extreme, and that is what modern hunting doctrine produces.
My whole opinion about hunting deer has changed. At this point, I would not hesitate to go hunting with my 45ACP 1911. Its loaded with lead boolits, and I know that it is capable of anchoring a deer sized animal.
Heck, a couple years ago, I slaughtered a goat by pulling my 3.5" 1911 from my holster and sending a 200 grain lead HP through the back of its head. I never questioned that the bullet would perform. Why would I think that I deer is any different? Oh yes, thats right. They are "noble" so they need to be killed with a 30-30. Execution mafia style is unacceptable and would bring a tear to some "thenthitive hunterth" eyes.

Come on! It's a deer. It's a freerange woods goat. It's a sheep with a slicked back hairdo and a fancy hood ornament.

Sweetpea
02-21-2014, 08:55 AM
"thenthitive hunterth"

Come on! It's a deer. It's a freerange woods goat. It's a sheep with a slicked back hairdo and a fancy hood ornament.

Tim, if you're gonna crank out something like that so early in the morning, you should really warn people to put their coffee down!

:popcorn:

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
./url]

Freightman
02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Good links sound like fun

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Lewis & Clark carried one to the ocean and back killing a lot of meat along the way.

I believe there was a story here a couple of years back.

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 11:52 AM
At one time I saw a buck across a bare 40 acre field.Stopped the car,ducked thru the 4 strand fence and stalked up to within 20 feet of the buck before the wind changed.

Yes the old fashion way. Soft thin leather moccasins sure beat store bought shoes every time.

That was one of the times, another time was when I got close enough to see the wiskers move on a does nose.

It also helps if you take the time to study just what your target does as it moves thru a field grazing peacefully away. Watch to see if they move their ears or head before raising their head to look around.

All of these skills enabled the natives to put food on the table long before they developed bows and arrows.

Yes it takes time and patience but the memories last forever.

This was in your older years then if you had a car to stop...

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 11:53 AM
The truth is: Yes, we are drastically overkilling our game animals with extreme prejudice and hoping it's enough to do the job. Check out the link in my sig line. Read the OP, then skip to the last page where I just typed up the whole story and my conclusions.
That is extreme, and that is what modern hunting doctrine produces.
My whole opinion about hunting deer has changed. At this point, I would not hesitate to go hunting with my 45ACP 1911. Its loaded with lead boolits, and I know that it is capable of anchoring a deer sized animal.
Heck, a couple years ago, I slaughtered a goat by pulling my 3.5" 1911 from my holster and sending a 200 grain lead HP through the back of its head. I never questioned that the bullet would perform. Why would I think that I deer is any different? Oh yes, thats right. They are "noble" so they need to be killed with a 30-30. Execution mafia style is unacceptable and would bring a tear to some "thenthitive hunterth" eyes.

You can kill a deer with a 30/30...?

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2014, 12:10 PM
This was in your older years then if you had a car to stop...

B kerful yungn az BLACKSMITH iz werkn on ah nu shu that levs a rele impreshine on yur hed permnt like.

Soonz az he b dun he guna git a pikcher here soz all kin quake n fere wen I ternz er loos next time.

An fer ur infomatiun I ant hit best by yet an hope xpiratiun date iz a loooong wayz off.

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 12:43 PM
B kerful yungn az BLACKSMITH iz werkn on ah nu shu that levs a rele impreshine on yur hed permnt like.

Soonz az he b dun he guna git a pikcher here soz all kin quake n fere wen I ternz er loos next time.

An fer ur infomatiun I ant hit best by yet an hope xpiratiun date iz a loooong wayz off.

Maybe I shoulda said your middle aged years then.

Echo
02-21-2014, 10:31 PM
When I was stationed in Louisiana, I met an old fellow named Swanwick, who collected vintage military and commercial air rifles. He told me that in the Napoleonic wars, air rifle users were looked on as war criminals, since their weapons made little noise and no smoke.