PDA

View Full Version : Well, she is finally convinced

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Ive been trying to convince amanda to go shooting with me for awhile, and then get a small handgun for self defence, and she keeps saying no. This morning she watched that one glock commercial where that chick points the gun at that dude breaking into her house and he faints. I thought it was a dumb commercial, but it convinced her that now living in a state with a lot more people she wants to be ready.

Ok. So now, what to start her on? I have a puma 454, a handi rifle in 243,270,06 and a savage 22 mag. The mag she doesnt like since it is very heavy, although she says all my rifles are too heavy. I was planning on getting her a Ruger LC380 once i csn afford it. She is looking at a glock 26. Any other suggestions? Should i wait to start her shooting until she has the gun she is gonna carry?

AlaskanGuy
02-20-2014, 12:27 PM
junior, think about the Sig p225 in 9mm... AlaskanGurl dont like heavy stuff either, but that sig fits her small hands well, shoots real nice, and handles cast real well after some experimenting... She has settled on the lee Tl boolit 356-124 over about 5gr of unique and she can cast them her self, tumble lube them, and load them all by herself... She gets good accuracy, and loves the fact that she can do it all on her own.... Must be an alaskan woman kinda thing with being independent...

AG

Whiterabbit
02-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Ive been trying to convince amanda to go shooting with me for awhile, and then get a small handgun for self defence, and she keeps saying no. This morning she watched that one glock commercial where that chick points the gun at that dude breaking into her house and he faints. I thought it was a dumb commercial, but it convinced her that now living in a state with a lot more people she wants to be ready.

Ok. So now, what to start her on? I have a puma 454, a handi rifle in 243,270,06 and a savage 22 mag. The mag she doesnt like since it is very heavy, although she says all my rifles are too heavy. I was planning on getting her a Ruger LC380 once i csn afford it. She is looking at a glock 26. Any other suggestions? Should i wait to start her shooting until she has the gun she is gonna carry?

Well, sounds to me like you need one new rifle.

:D

Actually, sounds like SHE needs a new rifle FROM you. As in, take her to the store, tell the salesman you want something that can be reloaded (of course cause why not??) then walk out and let your wife and the sales guy hammer it out without pressure or stress from you.

Of course, you might have opened a can of worms and find yourself reloading a ton for you wife :)

bedbugbilly
02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Junior - you are looking at an LC380 . . . she's looking at a Glock 26. Who is this pistol going to be for? You or her? If it's for you, then you make the decision . . . if it's for her . . she needs to make it her decision. Try and go to a range and where you can rent several makes/models she is interested in and let her try them out . . then let her decide.

I've been married for 42 years and finally, a couple of years ago, my wife decided she'd like to go shooting with me. She will never carry but she wanted to try shooting. I let her use my vintage Super Bearcat . . . I now consider it hers. She doesn't like heavy recoil, noise or brass flying out at her. That said, with the price/availability of 22 ammo, I'm looking at getting a small frame revolver in 32 H & R that I can "download" to plinker rounds and see if she likes shooting that . . but, I can only "guide" her in that direction . . she'll have to make the final decision on what she wants herself.

In the end . . . you picking out a gun for her is about like you picking out a dress for her . . . don't know how long you've been married but in the long run . . . it has to be "their" decision. LOL I know that it often depends on a person's budget . . but you really do need to let her decide on what she wants . .

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
That is kinda my plan. Let her try a few things and then deside. Now she is looking at a compact 9mm version of a 1911. I plan on getting a Ruger SR1911 for myself.

RogerDat
02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
With the whole 22 availability mess this might not be the best time but... anything about shooting except handling recoil force can be learned with a 22 rifle and pistol. With little noise, less weight, and lite recoil. My daughter and wife both will go with that over anything else for recreational plinking. Wife will go through 50 - 100 rounds of 22 for fun but has to be "nudged" a bit to do a few loads of 38 to maintain competency with personal defense hand gun. Several models of 22 hand gun are available on frames very close to frame used in more powerful calibers and some very nice rifles that are lite and comfortable. They both still like the old Marlin Papoose as well as anything else, and it's not much bigger than a cricket.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Im having a hard time convicing her to start on A rifle. She was raised in a liberal household, and although she has changed a lot, Guns still scare her a bit.

Sensai
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
To answer your question, I would get, or load, some CAS level 45 Colt ammo and let her start with the 454 Puma. That would be a lot of fun and not much recoil. As for the new gun for her, just make sure that she has enough information and let her decide. How would you like for her to choose a gun for you? Besides, if she decides later that she doesn't like it she can't blame you. At least she shouldn't blame you, but women have their own rules! Just my thoughts on the matter, full refund available on purchase price.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
The Glock 26 is a sweet shooter with very manageable recoil. Buying a 22lr anything today is a poor decision. Seriously. Buy it cheap and then blow your bankroll on ammo.

Take her gun shopping and allow her to pick up and hold as many guns as possible. Keep your mouth shut during the process and let her make the decision on what she wants. The only time you should really interject is when necessary, like when the guy bhind the counter is an idiot.

If you have a place to rent and test guns then take her there.

Then someone needs to teach her the fundamentals. Not some youtube ninja commando, but somebody who knows what they are talking about. If you or someone you know can't do it, then pay someone who can.

Don't be surprised if she shoots better than you....

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 01:09 PM
The Glock 26 is a sweet shooter with very manageable recoil. Buying a 22lr anything today is a poor decision. Seriously. Buy it cheap and then blow your bankroll on ammo.

Take her gun shopping and allow her to pick up and hold as many guns as possible. Keep your mouth shut during the process and let her make the decision on what she wants. The only time you should really interject is when necessary, like when the guy bhind the counter is an idiot.

If you have a place to rent and test guns then take her there.

Then someone needs to teach her the fundamentals. Not some youtube ninja commando, but somebody who knows what they are talking about. If you or someone you know can't do it, then pay someone who can.

Don't be surprised if she shoots better than you....

I used to have a glock 26. I liked it alright but it got too small for my hands after a about a year of owning it. (I had it when I was 14)

Love Life
02-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I loved the Glock 26, but moved up to the Glock 36. No grip extension needed and hook the fingers under the bottom of the magazine!!

You should talk her into getting a Freedom Arms Premier Grade in 454 Casull. I know that is in no way a logical choice for your wife, but at the end of the day (despite the dirty looks) you end up with a Freedom Arms!! Probably not the best advice, but solid.

No problems starting her on a rifle first. Teach her the fundamentals. A .223 would be about perfect. Whereabouts in Texas are you? I have a buddy with a ranch who may or may not have alot of firearms. If you're close, I'm sure he would have no problems letting you and your wife handle and shoot his guns.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 01:19 PM
I loved the Glock 26, but moved up to the Glock 36. No grip extension needed and hook the fingers under the bottom of the magazine!!

You should talk her into getting a Freedom Arms Premier Grade in 454 Casull. I know that is in no way a logical choice for your wife, but at the end of the day (despite the dirty looks) you end up with a Freedom Arms!! Probably not the best advice, but solid.

No problems starting her on a rifle first. Teach her the fundamentals. A .223 would be about perfect. Whereabouts in Texas are you? I have a buddy with a ranch who may or may not have alot of firearms. If you're close, I'm sure he would have no problems letting you and your wife handle and shoot his guns.

Im in south eastern Texas. About 60 miles from san antonio. Ive been wanting a 454 pistol to go with the rifle. My mom used to shoot my dads freedom arms.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 01:22 PM
My buddy is over in east Texas. Hmmm. May be a bit to far.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 01:22 PM
What town?

MtGun44
02-20-2014, 11:12 PM
The right answer for an initial training rifle is a .22 rifle, although the darned ammo situation is a short term
(we hope!) problem.

As to the handgun itself - for CCW or home/car? For home/car a 4" bbl .38 Spl has a lot going for it. For CCW,
you need flat.

In the end, I suggest NOT choosing a handgun, just find loaners or rentals to let her test. I have taught
a number of women to shoot, and have totally given up on predicting what they may choose, with the one
comment that a LOT of the women that I have taught have selected a full sized 1911 in .45 ACP as their
favorite gun after several sessions of shooting a bunch of different calibers and models of autos and revolvers.
I tend to slightly steer them away from the 1911 if they don't seem serious about learning the manual of
arms really well, but that doesn't always dissuade them.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:16 PM
I doubt she is getting a 22 since i cant find ammo anywhere. I have a 223 barrel coming for my handi rifle though...

contender1
02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Ok, My wife is one of the top instructors for the NRA Women On Target program in the country. In a few weeks we'll be holding our 41st WOT clinic. We have a LOT of time invested in introducing ladies to shooting.
First, unless you are the most patient, calm, easy going person who will not raise your voice or have ANY issues with her, you are not the best person to teach her. In our classes, it's a "Ladies only" clinic, and the only men allowed are tried & proven calm gentlemen who are excellent instructor. Next, no instructor is allowed to teach any lady that the know.
We remove all familiarity of anybody around them. It allows them to relax, pay attention, & learn properly, in a comfortable environment.
Next, we ALWAYS start the ladies off with 22 LR. Noise, recoil, etc. is new to them as the ones who are causing it. Allow them to learn slowly. Next we progress to 38 Spl. in a DA revolver. Finally, we let them shoot a 9mm. By progressing up in calibers, noise & recoil, the learn what to expect in stages.
Plus, we teach them to load & operate the firearms themselves.
Lastly, we teach them that NOBODY can pick a firearm for them. They must select what THEY like & what THEY will shoot & carry.
After 11+ years of teaching this, we are hugely successful. So much so that the NRA invited Miss Penny to HQ to learn about how she runs her program. She was also offered the chance to run the NRA WOT program for the entire country as a paid employee of the NRA. She declined as we didn't want to move to Va.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:49 PM
My GP100 and light 38 loads has introduced many women to shooting. Not too heavy but enough to help keep any recoil in check.

Somehow I think Jr will keep it fun and she will do fine.

pal82
02-21-2014, 12:53 AM
If you want her to become enthusiastic about participating in this sport, you would be well served by starting her with a weapon she can have success with the first trip to the range. My recipe for success: Ruger mark 3 with a red dot and a trigger kit. I gave my wife one for her birthday last spring. The first trip to the range, she was was able to hit the target with gentle coaching and encouragement.

We made a "date night" of dry firing in the basement every night for 5 minutes. She rapidly learned what the trigger felt like as it was going to break. She was able to see what happened to the site picture when her technique was bad. She also learned how to recognize and correct the flinch she acquired during her first trip to the range. After two weeks of "training", she was able shoot 50 rounds into a 6" group at 15 yards. Within in a month, 6" at 25 yards. By the end of summer, 6" steel plates at 50 yards.

We went to the range 2 times per week all summer and fall. I always end my trip to the range with six shots on 6" plates at 100 yards with a 44 special blackhawk. It was my goal to be able to get 6 for 6 by the end of the year. She would follow me to the 100 yard line and cheer me on as I knocked down the plates. I never got less than 2 but never more than 5. On our last "range date" in november, as we walked to the 100 yard line, she asked, can my .22 shoot that far? I told her yes it can, and told her that the bullet would drop about 12" and you'll have to aim accordingly. That day I hit 2 and so did she.

A new shooter, who needs convincing to go shooting in the first place, may become discouraged and quit if they are unable to have positive results quickly. My wife is now an enthusiastic handgunner. It is your couples hobby. She now accompanies me to gun shows. She sat with me one night at the casting bench and operated the lubsizer as I cast boolits. I know .22 ammo is hard to find right now, but it might be worth the wait.

fouronesix
02-21-2014, 01:28 AM
I'd think there'd be a ton of folks around your area who have different handguns for her to try before purchasing anything including some 22s and ammo. Listen to those posts about teaching and introducing inexperienced non-shooter women to handguns. If she already "likes" the Glock and has a chance to shoot one of the 19 9mms and does well with it, that would be hands down better than some cheap sub-compact 380.

2wheelDuke
02-21-2014, 02:40 AM
It should definitely be her choice. I bought my ex a gun once, and she hated it. She wound up buying a Glock instead. She worked dispatch at a PD that required Glocks, so she had it in her mind that it was Glock or nothing.

Getting her to the range as something you both enjoy would be great though.

horsesoldier
02-21-2014, 03:13 AM
I would stay away from the little 380's for now. Let her pick what she likes. I consider most of those little 380's garbage.As heavy as the triggers are I doubt she would be able to shoot them well. Either a glock 19 or a 26 would work. My fiance carries a smith and wesson m&P compact and she likes it.

Bulldogger
02-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Some indoor pistol ranges rent common pistols by the hour. You could ask around and see if there is one near. That's a great way to try many pistols. The range I use allows unlimited switches during the $10 rental hour (or more if you take another hour). They do require you use their ammo, which make sense to me as a business and safety concern.
I usually recommend something along the lines of 380 or smaller for ladies, if they tend to an auto. 38Spl when they tend to revolvers.
If she just wants something simple and small and with a BIG flash, the NAA .22Mag mini pistol is good. I carry that in my jeans pocket a lot. It won't be good for anything or anyone past 10', but it will get the attention of the entire neighborhood at any rate. I call it my "go bug someone else" gun.

I too use reduced 38 spl loads for training, or reduced load 9mm, both full size guns, to teach good handling and habits, then let them choose what they want to rent and try then buy and carry.

Bulldogger

btroj
02-21-2014, 09:14 AM
I would stay away from the little 380's for now. Let her pick what she likes. I consider most of those little 380's garbage.As heavy as the triggers are I doubt she would be able to shoot them well. Either a glock 19 or a 26 would work. My fiance carries a smith and wesson m&P compact and she likes it.

I agree on the 380s. Not easy to handle or shoot. Most are just too small.

Are we talking a carry gun or a range gun? Big difference.

As for "the ladies" talk, most women handle just about anything if you work up to it and stop the "this is really big" talk. My daughter was 14 when she first shot full loads in my 44 mag. Why? Because I developed trust in her and told her what to do.

Guys, stop treating your wife/girlfriend like she is a fragile toy around guns. Teach her right and she will handle about anything just fine.

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
She wants one gun. One to Carry. She still isnt interested in shooting, although she is still gonna get a lot of range time before im confortable with her carrying, since she still doesnt know how to even check my rifles to see if they are loaded.

btroj
02-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Let her try some of yours to get a feel for what she is comfortable with. Try some belonging to others.

Once she has a better idea let her pick. I would give her a year or more to decide.

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I plan on trying to get her to shoot the 223 barrel I have coming for the handi rifle before letting her try a pistol. That or maybe the 22 mag,

Bored1
02-21-2014, 10:43 AM
My suggestion is to take her to a ccw class that will let her rent a gun for the class. They do a REALLY good job at the classes of explaning all the information a new shooter needs along with range time to help them make sense of everything they have been taught right away. This is what we did with my significant other and it's the best 100$ I have ever spent. Her confidence with safety, guns, and shooting went through the roof with that class.

I have also learned that alot of the times I am not the best person to try to "teach" my woman anything!!! Easy for feelings, attitudes to get in the way of learning. A qualified teacher in a safe setting is by far the best choice in my opinion!!!

Plus most ccw teachers will have access to a gun suitable for her to learn with!

Bzcraig
02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
My GP100 and light 38 loads has introduced many women to shooting. Not too heavy but enough to help keep any recoil .

Yup, this has recently become my answer for new shooters and so much cheaper than .22.

Walter Laich
02-21-2014, 04:53 PM
One thing I have seen many times before is the husband/boy friend is NOT the best teacher for the women. Something with pride and embarrassment works its way in and before you know it, it's not fun for anyone.
Find someone else to teach--possibility a female shooter or at least someone who has taught the fairer sex before.
also a good idea for you to be elsewhere while the instruction is going on.
and don't second guess the instructor when the training is done for the day.

mikeym1a
02-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Junior, glad to hear that you are doing well down there. A couple years ago, I bought my daughter a new pistol for her birthday. The one she had would not function reliably. I had my on one, but took her to the shop and let her see what was there, and she chose one I would not have. But it fit her hands, and she felt comfy with it. So, I paid the bill and she took HER gun home. mikey

TXGunNut
02-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Agreed on the CHL class, lots of very good info in that class. I recommend it for anyone who keeps a firearm for self defense, whether they carry or not.
Also agree on letting her choose her gun. Take her to a shop where they have a good selection and make sure the saleman is asking her the right questions before making recommendations. Shooting one before buying is a big advantage as well. Hand size and strength are considerations as well.

shdwlkr
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Start her with a 22 in something she likes, a ruger single 6 is a good. Forget the dang cost of ammo it is more important that she gains confidence, skill and a like for shooting.
Next let her go and shoot a bunch of pistols someplace before you even put one single dime down on a pistol.

One of my ex's would never even touch a firearm the next one started with a 357 mag and went on to a 9mm she shot both well. When we got divorced she got rid of all her firearms. Now she is again collecting them go figure. What is even funnier is her and her new man ask me what she should get.

She has a 30-06 and is looking at stepping up to 7mm mag just because. She will most likely never shoot anything bigger than a deer. She doesn't like the 06 now she has used it and even got a deer with it. She is moving into the mental thought that bigger is better and you can shoot so much farther.

Never try and talk a woman out of a firearm unless
1 you know she can't handle it
2 you know she can never learn how to shoot it well
3 you are ready for some serious back lash if she has it in her mind that is the firearm for her

I have seen many couples come into the local LGS that I frequent as they know firearms and what I like way to well..
Most of the times the guy is there to offer ideas and then let the lady decide. One couple in particular stands out in my mind the lady got a 38 revolver and a couple weeks later was back when I happened to be there. She was looking for more ammo and saw a pink semi auto, she just had to have it and a couple of other pistols also. I happened to hear the clerk ask her if she was going to shoot the pistols and she said of course and that she was now going to acquire as many as she could shoot as fast as she could as she and her husband would go out shooting a few times a week and she was tired of waiting for her turn to shoot.

What all this means is that you may find that you have a new shooting buddy and one that will always have your 6 if you always remember how lucky you are, how much you really are happy she is part of your life.

Bullshop Junior
02-25-2014, 01:33 PM
I've been eyeballing one of those scaled down 1911 22 pistols for myself. I let her handle a full sized 1911 awhile back and she liked it, but she is small and the gun was too big/heavy for her. If I get the scaled down 22 version it might be good for her to start on.

garym1a2
02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
My Mom's gun is a Glock 26, she's 73. She can shoot it OK but she likes that it holds a 17 round magazine so that she does not have to worry about spare mags nor reloading.

Plus it does not take up that much room in her purse.

garym1a2
02-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Ruger Mark2 or3. Easy to shoot, accurate, reliable.
I've been eyeballing one of those scaled down 1911 22 pistols for myself. I let her handle a full sized 1911 awhile back and she liked it, but she is small and the gun was too big/heavy for her. If I get the scaled down 22 version it might be good for her to start on.

shdwlkr
02-25-2014, 01:59 PM
if you are looking for a small 1911 22lr pistol look at the browning one it is small too small for me in fact.

crazy mark
02-25-2014, 02:37 PM
I gave my granddaughter my 19-3 as she loved shooting it with mild 38 SPL. I also had here shoot some 357's which she did good. She also has a 30/30 Marlin that she did very good with. Her boyfriend is jealous. I let her shoot a lot of my pistols and that is the one she wante.

Bullshop Junior
02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
if you are looking for a small 1911 22lr pistol look at the browning one it is small too small for me in fact.

That's the one I had my eye one. Fine little pistol. I love the 1911 platform.

Crash_Corrigan
02-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I took my wife to buy a gun one day. I had thought that a 380 ACP would be the way to go. Ruger had the LCP and she did not like it at all. It did not feel good in her hand. She fell in love with a SCCY semi auto. Very inexpensive but solidly built with good sights and a long doubleaction trigger that was smooth and did not stack at all. She liked it.

I assumed that it was a 380 ACP but I was surprised to find out that is was a 9 MM. She bought it. She loved it. It is a double stacked 10 rnd mag with one in the chamber and you have an eleven round 9MM. Fed with Cor-Bon Power' Ball rounds this is a formidable weapon. Light, cheap, small and easy to handle. It has a safety.

However the amount of strength required to work the slide was more than she could handle as she has some problems with her right arm and hand. We want back to the gun store and found a Sig Sauer SP2022 in 9 MM that fit the bill. It ended up costing near $400 out the door but it was what she liked. I added a laser sight and she is a very happy camper. She loves to shoot it and she is gaining in confidence and accuracy with every trip to the range. Now if I can only interest her in helping me out when reloading those 9mm rounds life would be perfect.

Seriously, have her look at a SCCY 9mm semi and also the Sig Sauer SP2022 in 9mm. The SCCY is dirt cheap and a great value. The one she did not want I kept and this is the gun I throw into a pocket or clip on the belt (Check out clipdraw) when I just make a fast trip to the store or wherever I happen to be going. Normally I would take my 1911 .45 ACP or at least the Sig Sauer SP 2022 (Yes I bought one for myself) with an extra mag in my left trouser pocket but sometimes you really can't be bothered etc.

It will be her gun. Let it be her choice and please let somebody else teach her how to shoot. You do not want to go there! Trust me!

Alvin
02-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Like others have said, a lot of comes down to comfort and the size of her hands. My ex shot all my handguns, and even my P229 was too big for her hands and couldn't rack the slide release comfortably. She shot my J frame and P232 well, and I gave her my P232 for her birthday one year. I got the pistol that was a trade in at Turners for $300. I still load ammo and shoot with her on occasion, just a matter of comfort more than anything.

DLCTEX
02-25-2014, 11:09 PM
My wife recently chose a S&W M&P Shield. It fit her hand and she could operate the slide better than a Smith in 380. The smaller pistol recoiled more than she liked. The Shield places the hand high and makes recoil absorb better. She chose 9mm as ammo is plentiful. She did not care for laser sights, but did like the white dots on the sights. She shoots it well. Texas concealed carry class will teach her nothing about shooting or operating a pistol. They only teach law and test to see if you can shoot. Of course hearing protection makes a beginner more comfortable.

buckwheatpaul
02-26-2014, 10:59 AM
I had a Sig 239 when I was still with DPD....at the time it was the smallest Sig 9mm made and fits small hands well....I would certainly look at the new Remington 51? or was it 57? American made and good price with good trigger...hope this helps....my 2 cents worth....welcome to Texas by the way....wish you and your family happiness and prosperity!