PDA

View Full Version : Crimp dies

hickfu
02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
So far I have only cast for and reloaded the 45-70 and 44 Magnum, I am now going to cast for and reload the 45ap, 9mm, 380 handgun cartridges and wanted to know if I need to use the factory crimp die or taper crimp die or should I just get the 3 die set?

Also I have reloaded for 7mm Mag and 6.5x57 but only "J" bullets, I am thinking of casting for them as well and I wanted to know the same thing as the others.... Do I need a factory crimp die or taper crimp die?

Doc

osteodoc08
02-19-2014, 09:08 PM
I've always preferred using a separate crimp die. The seat and crimp dies tend to be more finicky than I'm willing to deal with, personally speaking. On my 10mm I have then hornady 3 die set and although it works well, if it's not set just right, I'll have chambering issues. Other will say the combo seat/crimp dies are awesome and always work for them. I just prefer to seat and crimp in separate dies.

I just purchased a 3 die hornady set for 45acp, but also purchased their separate taper crimp die. For me it was $20 well spent for a lifetime of loading.

As for the rifles, I've typically used Jwords and neck tension. My 45/70 will get a slight crimp with the cast boolits.

petroid
02-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Never use the factory crimp die on cast boolits. It resizes the whole case and will squeeze the boolit down until its undersized. That said, many people who hate Lee equipment use the factory crimp die for Jwords so if you will be loading them too then its handy to have. Use a slight taper crimp just enough to remove the flare from the case mouth so that the round will chamber and not to squeeze the boolit down. Some people prefer to crimp in a separate step which of course will require a separate taper crimp die, but I havent had the need to do that yet.

dragon813gt
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Lee's rifle FCD's are great. But they are a different design then the pistol ones. The pistol may or may not swage down a cast bullet. Only measuring the carbide ring in your die will tell you if this is the case.

I use the seating/crimping die that comes w/ the Lee die sets. I perform both in one step and have had no issues. If I eventually do. I just won't screw the die down so it crimps. I will do that in a separate step w/ the same die after I'm done seating all the bullets.

Oh yeah, Lee's rifle seaters are dead length and don't crimp. You will need some type of die to do this.

lawdog941
02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Those pistol cartridges headspace on the case mouth and would require a taper crimp. The 3 die sets or 2 die (depending on which brand you prefer) should already come with the taper crimp. Unless, that is, you prefer to do it separately.

dogg

hickfu
02-19-2014, 10:46 PM
lawdog41,
Yes, I always crimp in a separate step so I will get the Taper crimp die for the pistol calibers.... Thank you

Doc

bhn22
02-19-2014, 11:43 PM
All good advice. My early efforts with semi-autos met with failure until I invested in taper crimp dies, and started seating and crimping in separate operations.

btroj
02-19-2014, 11:54 PM
I have both Lee FCD and Redding Profile crimp dies for rifle. Both work. For handgun I have a variety of crimp dies, none are Lee FCD.

Set the die up properly and get the right crimp and they all work. Just don't depend entirely on crimp, neck tension is far more important.

MtGun44
02-20-2014, 12:33 AM
Lee rifle FCD is wonderful, a collet crimper. The pistol FCD has a sizer ring built into a normal TC die, which can
and often does, screw up the size of your carefully made cast boolits. Lose or never buy the pistol FCD, although
a few custom collet crimp pistol dies were made for Ranch Dog to market, those would be peachy-keen.

TC as a separate operation and you will be happy.

Bill

mikeym1a
02-20-2014, 02:00 AM
I've loaded cast for my .32S&W, and my .45ACP. I use the Lee Carbide 3 die set. The powder die flares the mouth of the case so that the boolit is easily started, and you adjust the depth of seat to remove the case mouth flare, and to get overall length. It works great for me. None of my boolits have moved, that I can tell, they all feed fine, and always go bang! Perhaps the hard-core target shooters get more involved than this. It has always worked for me, so I never looked further. mikey