PDA

View Full Version : 35 Whelen barrel

bearcove
02-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Shot a few out of my new 35 Whelen barrel. Encore prohunter.

No misfires good headspace, nice thump with the 250gr factory ammo.

I like it.

35 shooter
02-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Love the Encores. That's the same 35 whelen i have and it's turned out to be a shooter with jacketed and cast. Shot some imr 4350 behind a 200 gr. boolit this weekend and got some cloverleafs with it...can't wait to try it again and see if that holds up. Bet it's gonna be a good shooter for you!

bearcove
02-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Plinked at the 1 mile berm. Boom 1 2 3 poof!

bearcove
02-19-2014, 11:09 PM
The 35whelan barrel has been criticized as being poorly chambered. Not mine as far as I can see.

35 shooter
02-20-2014, 12:53 AM
bearcove i can't say for sure as mine is one of the last made by TC before the Smith&Wesson takeover but it seems folks had trouble in the early whelen bbls in all the single shots from older reports on the web. I haven't had any problems with mine at all but i've never fired factory ammo in it. Seems like that was where most of the complaints were coming from was some of the factory ammo. My brother has a latter model h&r and had a few misfires with it, then had a trigger job done on it and no more problem. Don't know if it was a trigger spring or what caused the problem but it's gone now. Evidently it wasn't the head spacing type problem though. Don't know if you know about it or not, but Bellm's TC'S sells a head spacing gauge and spacers to fix any problem with the Encore.

bearcove
02-20-2014, 03:10 PM
I just check the headspace with the caliper. Hold down the extractor shove the case in and measure.