PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run drivers

rockrat
02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
We have our gun club dinner this Friday, so stopped by the LGS to unload a couple of late door prizes. Took about 1 minute. Walked outside and some guy was in front of my truck, saying someone just hit it and took off. Luckily, they got the tag # and gave me their name and number. About that time, another guy pulled up saying my truck just got hit and he had tried to follow him, but they left the area fast. Gave me his name and number too.

Called the police, they took a report and found the guy. He "had no clue" he had hit someone. Lucky for him the police didn't give him a ticket for "hit and run". A felony here. Just got one for careless driving. Now, to get my truck fixed.:groner:

Bullshop Junior
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
How bad is the damage. I had someguy scrape a snowplow down the side of my truck about a year ago and take off. Pissed me off to come out of te store to that.

rockrat
02-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Could have been worse. Not too bad, especially compared to my Sister last week, her car was totaled by someone running into the back of her car.

osteodoc08
02-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Man. Last week for me, now another. Geez. This is stupid crazy. If you don't know you hit another car, you shouldn't be driving.

lavenatti
02-20-2014, 08:42 AM
With two witnesses it sounds like you got a really lazy worthless cop.

phaessler
02-20-2014, 09:02 AM
File a complaint , some states require a chargeable offense to insure that the claimant (you) are able to seek damages from the dudes insurance company. Otherwise you might be left holding the bag, deductible and all repairs, regardless of the type of insurance covered.

Pete

knobster
02-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Gone are the days of either waiting by the parked car you bumped or leaving your contact info under the windshield wiper... Present company excluded from my remark.

phaessler
02-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Gone are the days of either waiting by the parked car you bumped or leaving your contact info under the windshield wiper... Present company excluded from my remark.

Exactly, no respect forces you to lose trust in good faith.

missionary5155
02-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Greetings
Well fellas lets ask the tough questions.
Was this alcohol related ? Whose buddy is covering for who ? Another of those "good ol" boy coverups ?
Goes on all the time and no one is accountable... why ? How many are driving right now that should not be but we , well sort of, turn our heads and do not hold people accountable because it is a friend, neighbor or family member ?
I know three families that have lost loved members because someone was behind the wheel who had been stopped repeatedly but never stopped perminantly until someone was killed.
Mike in Peru

Grumpy Joe
02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
For me I just have great insurance. One day it will happen to me and I do not want to deal with it. Call the POPO and then the insurance. Out here most accidents are non insured drivers anyways. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. In the end they will get theirs whether the cops do their job or not.

rockrat
02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
The policeman did an outstanding job. No complaints here. Our PD and our SO here are some fine officers. Very professional and overall, a good bunch.

Got a call from the officer this morning, telling me what is going on. He is not a happy camper, with the other driver. It could get ugly.

Let you know later what happens.

In case you missed, the other driver will be charged with at least, careless driving.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
My front license plate got "trailer hitched" last week.
Parked along the street while in the 2nd hand book store.
Came out and my front plate and bracket is mangled.
No loss but it makes me want to write down plate numbers
every time I park somewhere anymore

leadman
02-20-2014, 12:22 PM
With most people carrying cell phones with cameras it would be easy to snap a couple of quick pictures of the cars near where you parked.
Glad the cops are taking care of it.

RogerDat
02-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Around here a careless driving conviction will do many bad things to your insurance rates, for many years to come. I don't know if this driver is just clueless or simply not good at driving but aside from the ticket this is going to cost them. I am reminded of my dad late in his life, and an uncle of my wife, both thought they were still able to drive much better than they really could. Pretty much ok in lite traffic a few blocks from home but lots of minor dings on immobile objects in parking lots after many decades of good driving. And a couple of accidents that they would probably have avoided 10 years earlier.

Heck we all think we drive great, those other bozos are the bad drivers. Right?

Monttexan
02-20-2014, 02:30 PM
A friend of mine did some work on my truck a while back. He drove it across town to Little Caesar's to get himself lunch and test drive the work he'd done. Some bimbo backed into the driver's door in the parking lot. He sat right there, blocking the other car in until the cops showed up. The cop got a smile from the gal who ran into my truck, and told my friend since it happened in a private parking lot they wouldn't fill out an accident report. And we pay them why?

bob208
02-20-2014, 05:00 PM
around here the Mexicans run and the cops just shrug their shoulders.

dagger dog
02-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Most state laws require the witness to such accidents remain at the site of the collision, if they leave the scene before the officer arrives even though they may leave written testament , it won't hold water in the court. It has to be face to face with the officer at the scene.

Any thing else is hearsay in a court of law.