PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Clinton
02-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Hello all. Been lurking around here for a few months and am about to begin gathering equipment for smelting and later on casting.

I thought I remembered seeing a sticky that lists equipment to get started on the cheap. Burners, pots, ingot molds ect, but I cannot seem to find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Clinton
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
And......... I posted this in the wrong section......

Bored1
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Goodwill and thrift stores are the best, easiest way to get cheap stuff for smelting and casting. Cast iron cornbread molds make great ingot molds and last forever basically. Stainless steel stock pots are great too. Or a cast iron dutch oven if you are lucky enouh to find an old used one. Stainless soup ladles work for pouring the ingots, although you may be able to fond some older cast irons ladles cheap too. Don't forget your local dollar store! Found a ton of stuff there that works great for casting.

For a burner I use a proppne fishfryer. Turkey dryers work too, just don't get one with a timer. I have one that's got a 25 min built in timer on it and when you forget to reset it your flame goes out which can make a long day even longer after a few times

Walter Laich
02-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Lyman has a great casting book that is well worth getting

Clinton
02-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Lyman has a great casting book that is well worth getting

Added it to my shopping cart thanks. What I was really looking for was a thread I saw (pretty sure in this forum) that listed all the equipment needed to smelt. It almost all came from Walmart and even listed the price. I can't seem to find it now. I know I should have posted this in the casting section instead of here.

histed
02-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Hey, Clinton. Welcome aboard. What you are looking for can be found in the "Cast Boolits" section of forum, near the beginning of the list. Check out the stickys, especially the "From Ingot to Target" I'm pretty sure you'll find everything you're looking for there (AND a lot more!) You can tell by the number of posts I have that I'm also pretty new here, but those stickys are a great place to start. I just got a turkey fryer that someone was throwing away - did a bit of welding and now have a good burner. I also stopped by a thrift/junk store and picked up a HUGE cast iron skillet to smelt in for less than $4. You can use old muffin/cupcake tins for ingot molds or there are instructions in the stickys for making your own from scrap iron. Hope this helps some