PDA

View Full Version : revolvers I would like to see on the market

jaystuw
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
A C&B pistol guy is lucky now in days. Lots of models, better fit and finish, affordable, and they ship right to the door! I sort of feel guilty to ask for more. But a guy can dream and imagine right? I have thought of a few I would like, maybe they are unreasonable, maybe not. You be the judge.

I would like to see a colt dragoon, that's bored out to 50 or 54 cal. ! The steel should be strong enough, I wonder if there is enough room in the bore and cylinder? A big bore to justify lugging around a huge gun. perfect for the modern shooter maybe?

I also want a 36 cal. 1858 Remington. But I would like it on a smaller frame, not a 44 frame with smaller holes in the cylinder and barrel like now. A "navy" size gun is what I am looking for.

Is there no end? I still want more! this time a civilian model colt type 1860 army with no capping groove AND a fluted cylinder!

To much to ask? Its just fantasy, but you never know! Jay

Alan
02-19-2014, 11:30 AM
I too would like a Dragoon given the "1860" treatment. Basically make the same mods to it that Colt gave the 1851 Navy. Enlarge the front half of the Cylinder, and take the bore up as big as possible.

I would also like to see a Trantor or Webly .577 Revolver. They were large-framed, but actually light to carry. LOT of holes in those things.

Ruger Old Navy .36. 8) 8) 8)

Good Cheer
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
1858 Remington .36 bored out to use off the shelf .41 molds. It's a project I've been slobbering over quite a while.

Also, would love to have a percussion revolver to use .535 round ball and the .577 Webley.

rodwha
02-19-2014, 01:32 PM
A .50 or even .54 cal would be great!

What I'd like to see is the Remington .36 cal police model.

And the comeback of the Old Army!

pietro
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM

FWIW, I gave an 1860 Pietta with a fluted cylinder & 5-1/2" bbl to one of my best friends for his 65th B-day - so there's fluted cylinder 1860's out there.

IDK what you mean by "no capping groove" - do you think it's the best practice, to have to pull the cylinder every time reloading's req'd ?

Omnivore
02-19-2014, 06:55 PM
IDK what you mean by "no capping groove" - do you think it's the best practice, to have to pull the cylinder every time reloading's req'd ?

I was curious about that too. Plus in my observastion, the spent caps that do fall out, fall out at the capping cut, otherwise they'd all be dragged around and never fall out. I don't see an advantage there. I assumed you were referring to the cutout in the frame...

Omnivore
02-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I Know what you all want, and I've already started working on it. I hope you have a lot of patience and money.

Nobade
02-19-2014, 09:07 PM
A .50 or even .54 cal would be great!

What I'd like to see is the Remington .36 cal police model.

And the comeback of the Old Army!

Ditto - those Remington police revolvers were cool.

A C&B revolver built like the Bearcat would a be a neat trick too.

-Nobade

jaystuw
02-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Oh, what I mean is the groove that is seen on later colt percussion revolvers . its on the right side of the frame were the recoil shield is cut out for installing caps. the groove is cap size, in the middle of the cut out and directs the cap to the nipple ( if the nipple is lined up right). Probably clear as mud, but that's the best I can describe it. seen mostly on the 1860 army, 1861 navy, and the 1862 police. pistols are sometimes made without it, which I think looks better. I don't feel it is really needed. Jay

jaystuw
02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Yes, I would love to see someone come out with a webley, trantor, or adams double action percussion revolver. The English revolvers are very high Quality with great fit and finish. And look to be somewhat complicated and involved to build. I wonder if uberti or one the other Italian companies would be able to take on project like that? If they could pull it off and come up with a decent replica, I would want one badly. But jeez, how much would it cost? likely a thousand or more bucks! Jay

Hellgate
02-20-2014, 12:09 AM
The Euroarms Remingtons are on a smaller frame (including the 44s) so the 36s have a lighter feel than anybody else's Remington "Navy".

dondiego
02-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Yes, I would love to see someone come out with a webley, trantor, or adams double action percussion revolver. The English revolvers are very high Quality with great fit and finish. And look to be somewhat complicated and involved to build. I wonder if uberti or one the other Italian companies would be able to take on project like that? If they could pull it off and come up with a decent replica, I would want one badly. But jeez, how much would it cost? likely a thousand or more bucks! Jay

If the Italians can produce a LaMatte, (sp) I bet they can do a Webley.

Don

bob208
02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
well I saw dragoons reamed and rifled to take a .495 ball. the early Remington .36s are a smaller frame. the asm and navy arms come to mind.

as far as the webley . it would go the way of the lematte just cost too much.

Mk42gunner
02-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Maybe I read too much Louis L'Amour when I was a kid, but I would like to have a Walch 12 shot Navy revolver. Also a Shawk & McLanahan.

Robert

jaystuw
02-21-2014, 04:10 AM
Maybe I read too much Louis L'Amour when I was a kid, but I would like to have a Walch 12 shot Navy revolver. Also a Shawk & McLanahan.

Robert

Robert, congradulations on your 4000th post! The walch pushs the very limit of what I know about percussion revolvers. I think the 6 hole cylinder had one load on top of the other maybe? the shawk & mclanahan is a complete mystery to me. Jay

Hickok
02-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I love shooting the percussion revolvers. I believe when you have "mastered" the ins and outs of the cap and ball revolver, then you can truly call yourself a "shootist."

I own several, but my favorite is the Colt 1860 Army. I really like the 1858 Remington, but the Colt Dragoon grip of the 1860 just fits my hand perfect.

I would like to see Ruger bring back their percussion revolver.

Omnivore
02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
The Colt Root hardly ever gets mentioned, though it had an enclosed frame long before the Remington/Beals came along.

Alan
02-21-2014, 06:03 PM
The LeMatt is just another .44 that holds a few extra shots. The Trantor /Webley in .577 would generate it's own market. 8) I wouldn't even care if they were single-action only.

Mk42gunner
02-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Robert, congradulations on your 4000th post! The walch pushs the very limit of what I know about percussion revolvers. I think the 6 hole cylinder had one load on top of the other maybe? the shawk & mclanahan is a complete mystery to me. Jay

Thanks Jay,

I think you are right about the Walch; superposed loads don't really seem too safe to me, but a 12 shot C&B revolver would be neat.

I had googled the Shawk & Mclanahan more than ten years ago and found it was an actual revolver,but not much else. I just did it again today and found that it is supposed to be a precursor to the Confederate Leech & Rigdon, which I had always thought was a copy of the 1851 Colt. There I go thinking again....

L'Amour's protagonist in one of his books used the S&Mc and a Joslyn Carbine, I think it was "To Tame a Land" but I am not sure, it has been several years since I read the book.

Robert

RogerDat
02-22-2014, 12:03 AM

Robert

How can one read too much L'Amour? Think a 12 shot maybe a Russian? figured in one of his books recently re-read. Bad guy had the hero trapped in cave dwelling rear room, "knew" when the 6th shot was fired and missed he had him, stepped out right into shots 7 & 8.

dualsport
02-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Why are there no ROA knock-offs? They'd sell like hotcakes, especially the short fixed sight versions. Maybe a 5 shot .50 too?

jaystuw
03-02-2014, 04:27 AM
Hi dualsport, I can't think what a ROA is, help me out. Jay

Nobade
03-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi dualsport, I can't think what a ROA is, help me out. Jay

Ruger Old Army.

Don't forget that Pietta makes a Colt '73 percussion revolver for some European markets, and also sells it in the US. You have to use a loading stand since it doesn't have a rammer, but they are sort of interesting and quite a bit cheaper than their cartridge models. Must not have the excise tax on them I suppose.

-Nobade

jaystuw
03-02-2014, 10:45 PM
ROA= Ruger Old Army! Yes, thanks. I completely agree, a knock-off would be great. And I think a .50 version would sell like crazy!

Is the Pietta/ colt '73 convertible with a cartridge cylinder? different hammer face, likely not. So it ships to the door? Jay

Nobade
03-03-2014, 08:29 AM
ROA= Ruger Old Army! Yes, thanks. I completely agree, a knock-off would be great. And I think a .50 version would sell like crazy!

Is the Pietta/ colt '73 convertible with a cartridge cylinder? different hammer face, likely not. So it ships to the door? Jay

No cartridge cylinder, and the frame is redesigned a bit so it won't take a normal SAA cylinder.

Here is a link to one on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396685799

-Nobade

jaystuw
03-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Thanks nobade. So not a convertible, more of a chance for Europeans to have a legal (for them) SAA. Also, it gets delivered to the door for us. All the fun of shooting a SAA! just a different and slower way to load, Jay

Blizzard63
03-07-2014, 01:04 PM
I love shooting the percussion revolvers. I believe when you have "mastered" the ins and outs of the cap and ball revolver, then you can truly call yourself a "shootist."

I own several, but my favorite is the Colt 1860 Army. I really like the 1858 Remington, but the Colt Dragoon grip of the 1860 just fits my hand perfect.

I would like to see Ruger bring back their percussion revolver.
I totally agree with you about mastering the cap n ball revolvers to call yourself a "shootist". I don't consider myself being one. YET :-D Once I really got into it, there's no looking back for me,thats how much I really love it. I would also like to see Ruger come back selling the Ruger Old Army, and maybe in a few different calibers. :Bright idea:

jaystuw
03-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I was just looking at repro m1849 and baby dragoon revolvers on gun broker. Now they only come with 4 inch barrels. I wish they still made them in the 6 inch length like they used to do in the 1970's.

Has it really been that long since anyone has made a 6in barreled m1849? Jay

Omnivore
03-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Jay; You can still get a 6" pocket revolver in the form of an 1862 Colt's Navy or Police.

jaystuw
03-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Omnivore, Yes, and a want a long barreled 1862 police badly! It just seems odd that Uberti never made a 6in 1849. The two 4in versions (with and without loading lever) seem to be popular. Used ones are commonly seen on gunbroker. I think only replica arms had a 6in steel framed version in the 60s and maybe early 70s. I'm not sure who made it, maybe san marco? Jay

kevinS
05-24-2014, 11:23 PM
I know they are pretty rare. But don't know a ton about it because I inherited it.
1858 Remington .36 bored out to use off the shelf .41 molds. It's a project I've been slobbering over quite a while.

Also, would love to have a percussion revolver to use .535 round ball and the .577 Webley.

jaystuw
05-25-2014, 01:23 AM
Hi kevin, welcome to cast boolits! I don't know much about your huge Webley either, other than that they are well made, finely finished and gets your attention if its pointed at you!

Also, Its a very rare and desirable gun. You did really well inheriting a pistol like that. Jay

Abert Rim
05-25-2014, 08:39 AM
I'll take a pair of Adams revolvers, thanks.

Battis
05-25-2014, 09:21 AM
I have a Savage & North .36 that I shoot. Some call it a double action but it's actually a lever action. It's a beefy gun, with large parts that I think might be easy to reproduce.

With a Pietta 1860 .44
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/Picture009_zpsb1d6ab35.jpg
Internals
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/IMG_0254_zpscea5a105.jpg

Good Cheer
05-25-2014, 07:53 PM
That's terribly cool.
People made what worked.

Coffeecup
05-26-2014, 10:36 AM
That Savage & North is just incredibly cool!

Aesthetically, I much prefer the Dragoons and 1860 Colts, but for shooting, I've always thought the ROA was near-perfection in a C&B revolver. A Navy Ruger would be a great plinker and bunny gun.