PDA

View Full Version : Colt Open top 7 shot 22 short

Dingo Venison
02-18-2014, 10:41 PM
I ran across one of these little guys in my local gun store, all nickel plated, with a broken mainspring, but otherwise pretty good shape, with a price tag of $225. My research indicates i can get a mainspring for $16 shipped. Does anyone have some more information on these little guys and their perspective values? Its a very cool piece, probably manufactured in the late 1800s. Thanks for look everybody.

Dutchman
02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Did I miss the photo?

Dutch

Dingo Venison
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
97205 This is a stock photo but same firearm. I'll see if I can swing by and get a photo of it I did not have a camera at the time.

smkummer
02-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Dixie gun works in their catalog used to and may still show a pic of one of these blown up by using modern high speed ammo. I have one and shoot colobri primer powered only ammo. I may try some CB ammo but that is as High powered as I would go with it. That is a good buy if you can get a spring. I have a different broken spring in mine. Did your source show other parts? thanks

Dingo Venison
02-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Dixie gun works in their catalog used to and may still show a pic of one of these blown up by using modern high speed ammo. I have one and shoot colobri primer powered only ammo. I may try some CB ammo but that is as High powered as I would go with it. That is a good buy if you can get a spring. I have a different broken spring in mine. Did your source show other parts? thanks

Give the guys at colt parts.com a call that seems to be the best bet i found a couple of options through google but I a also under the impression any skilled gunsmith could manufacture a mainspring. These were made in black powder era, but modern 22short ammo isn't exactly...strong so I wouldn't take it for a round to blow up a cylinder

I'll Make Mine
02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
modern 22short ammo isn't exactly...strong so I wouldn't take it for a round to blow up a cylinder

That's a fallacy. My reading says that modern .22 Short is loaded to the same pressure as .22 LR and has about the same muzzle velocity in short barrels -- that's going to be quite a bit hotter than an original black powder round in a .22 Short case (which would have held about 1/3 the powder of the BP version of .22 LR). I'd stick to CB caps or (if they'll chamber and let the cylinder rotate -- they're build on LR cases) the Aguila primer-powered rounds in a pre-1900 revolver chambered for .22 Short.