PDA

View Full Version : which trigger to use.

johnson1942
02-18-2014, 07:27 PM
im building a new muzzleloader to carry on long walks this summer. i have two triggers. one is a double set highquality mountain rife type. the other was salvaged off of a rigby clone and is a very well made non set single trigger. im leaning toward the single trigger but have only shot set triggers. what should i use ?, and being spoiled by double set triggers is it hard to get used to the simple single type. tell me what you guys shoot and how they shoot? thanks

tacklebury
02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
I personally don't really care for the set trigger for a hunting arm. If I'm bench shooting it's nice, but I don't use the one I do have on my hunting gun. ;)

rking22
02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Johnson, do tell more... gonna be a rifle? flint?? maybe 28bore smoothie?

to answer your question, I would also go with the single trigger for a "walkin round" gun. Thinking of a build myself, a light underhammer for some variety in my life, probably 28 ga smoothbore, really light and no concerns of "period correct" just clean simple and lite!

oldracer
02-18-2014, 10:25 PM
I have a very crisp 2# (exact) non set trigger in my Pedersoli Gibbs and it works very well. I have a single set trigger in a 50 caliber custom muzzle loader some guy in the mid west made a couple years ago and it works extremely well once you push the trigger forwards and the release is about 1.5 oz. The other guns including my newest one mentioned in the latest post has regular double set triggers and all break about 1 oz. I have found the biggest issue is ME, having to adjust to a different one when I change guns. I agree with the non set trigger set to have no creep and a nice break but you would probably want to spend some time at the range so it feels comfortable before you go hunting.

pietro
02-18-2014, 10:26 PM

I've always used the set trigger on my T/C's for zeroing, but just shoot off the front (unset) trigger for hunting.

johnson1942
02-18-2014, 10:42 PM
it is light weight rifle with no ramrod or pipes. the barrel will be 30 inches long. 10 inches at 15/16 of a inch then taper to 13/16 at the muzzle. 1/30 twist shallow groove to shoot a 300 grain paperpatch bullet. after reading the responses im leaning closer to the single nonset trigger. the stock is a fish belly type like alot of ohio rifles. the nose is a german snable. its a real mixture. im doing alot of native american brass and silver nail inlays. i show pictures of it when it is done.

waksupi
02-19-2014, 12:00 AM
I went to all single triggers years ago for my own guns. No matter how good a set trigger is, I can still detect creep, and don't shoot as well with them. I prefer the well hung crisp trigger any day, especially for cold conditions.

rking22
02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Sounds interesting, I have become interested in "non historical" traditional guns recently. I found a Traditions Fowler in a pawn shop recently. It is pleasing to the eye but not true to any historical firearm. Feels good and has caused me to expand my interests to look at something besides flintlocks for my blackpowder needs. The little senaca rifle TC did is in that area. Sounds like you may be exploring the same thoughts. I like the perchbelly look, can't wait to see the finished project!

johnson1942
02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
pardon me when i tell this story again. i once visited a museum in the old dead wood s.dak before it all went to gambling. they had a couple of hundred muzzleloads their that were the very guns carried by the miners that came to that area to mine gold. their was none of them that belonged to any school. these gun were made by gun smiths from all over with torn apart old guns and any parts they could get. their was no style. all were well made and some very very well made. i decided then i would build what i felt i wanted and needed at the moment. also our own local fur traders museum has a lot of muzzleloaders. how ever they purchase more of the traditional scool designs from all over. but back to the guns that were used here it was different. i remember one very beautiful gun at dead wood that looked like it was just built, had a smooth bore even though it like a very upscale hawken type. old school guns are very nice but if your a bit of a free spirit, build what you want and suits you, mine all shoot really good and are very diff. from each other. i really like the one im carving now as it will be easy to carry and shoot hard. ive done a lot a native brass and silver nail art work on it as well a bone inlays. the wood only cost 19 dollars at the lumberyard but really looks good. just waiting on the barrel so i can finish it. ive also used some redwood burl overlays to spice it up. you can see pictures of my other guns at the spot below muzzleloaders on the gunsmithing area of this site. look under the sticky, rogers way of refinishing a gun stock. i love what a person can get out of wood. most wood is a lot better than most people realize. i think im going with the single trigger as i want this gun fast to the shoulder, light to carry and easy and simple to shoot. will provide pictures when done, thanks for the interest.