PDA

View Full Version : Could it be ?

dagger dog
02-18-2014, 07:17 PM
The high temp today hit 58* and all the snow and ice that was on the south facing slopes and the flats is gone.

Just walked out side and was greeted by a flock of sand hill cranes flying in their V formation and they were headed NORTH !

If that's not a sign that spring is just around the corner what is, by that I mean what is your certain sign that old man winter is packing it in ?

runfiverun
02-18-2014, 08:36 PM
mud... when it's more than 8" deep it's spring.

MT Gianni
02-19-2014, 12:05 AM
When the blue birds show up in April, last frost on June 10th or ground squirrels come out in May are all signs of spring.

Bad Water Bill
02-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Guess I will have to go to Jasper Pulaski and watch the thousands stop over for a couple of weeks before they continue north.

Afraid they will not find any water to hunt their food.

It is covered with many inches of snow and over a foot of solid ice.

Guess we will have to suffer thru a few more weeks of "Global Warming" till they get here.:(

GSM
02-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Buds on mesquite trees.

fryboy
02-19-2014, 06:58 AM
around here many say that robin red breast's return heralds the return of spring , supposedly the groundhog said 6 more weeks of winter , while i may put more store into the robin than the hog both need a very large grain of salt , there are a few flowers i oft see in the earliest stages of spring ,i've not seen them yet , for those who do not know i'm basically in the middle of america out here on the wind scoured open plains ,it's not spring by any chance or shot ... i also consider that the weather patterns are or have been whacky in recent times , the last 3 running we've gotten our last snow of the season long after all the spring indicators arrived including the latest one i ever recall in my more than half century of life last year , for the last 11-12 robin red breast was here long before the freezes stopped , the earth has shifted on it's axis somewhat, the magnetic north pole has been hard to pin down ( conspiracy theory suggest there's a reason current data on it's current whereabouts for the last few years is not without reason ) i'm figuring it will warm up for about a week then drop back down and be mild hereabouts with a couple of late season spells in mid to early spring
one thing i do know ? unlike a winter in the not too distant past - this one will not be remembered as " the winter that wasnt" !

waynem34
02-19-2014, 07:23 AM
When its March 20. Hehe

dagger dog
02-19-2014, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=runfiverun;2640908]mud... when it's more than 8" deep it's spring.[/QUOTE

The ground here is still frozen with that gumbo clay setting on top. It feels like you're walking on a sponge.

lancem
02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
was 85 yesterday, suppose to be 92 today, spring is past, summer is here...

Bad Water Bill
02-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Chiraq officials are asking everyone to remove debris from sewer covers so the flood waters can run off.

What they fail to explain is how to remove the 68 + inches the plows have deposited over the drains.

OH well 48 today with heavy rain tomorrow.

This can get interesting.

Freightman
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Well if we don't get something wet soon the term "Burn Baby Burn" is going to take a whole new meaning. The 60/80mph winds are waiting in the wings and with humidity running at 7-8% it is going to be bad.

DLCTEX
02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Grass fires are in the news in the Abilene, Tx. area. We haven't seen the big ones yet. March winds can spread them to 100's of thousands of acres.

Czech_too
02-19-2014, 11:06 AM
When the Goldfinches start turning their bright yellow, then I'll believe that Spring is coming/here. Saw a Robin just the other day so to me he's no harbinger of Spring. The heaviest snowfall of the season, for this immediate area, came Monday night. Supposed to be in the 40's the next few days, so that means flooding.

captaint
02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
The Philadelphia Flower Show. It's in a week or 2. One of the biggest flower shows in the country.
Spring is, indeed, around the corner. High of 58 later this week. Mike

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
It was about 40º yesterday...and suppose to 40º again to day.
Before yesterday, we haven't seen a temp above freezing since last fall...or there abouts. usually in a minnesota winter we get a few days above 32º and melt or settle some of the snow. WHile we haven't got above average snow fall this season, we haven't had the little bit of warmer weather to melt/settle the snow. I've got piles in my yard and garden larger and higher than I've ever seen (pushed by my ATV with a blade). More snow coming tomorrow, 4" to 6" they say. I dug out my wood splitter yesterday(out of a snow bank), so if we get a warm stretch, I can start splitting my large pile of logs...of course they will have to be dug out of the snow as well. Dang, I recall one year...maybe 1989? I bought a Honda Goldwing and drove it home (60 miles) in the last week of Feb. I think the High temp that day was 60º...I do remember that it did snow that night.

bbs70
02-19-2014, 12:14 PM
When I see more than 3 people at the gun club.

Gator 45/70
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Spring is when Turkey season starts.

Lloyd Smale
02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
we actally had the first day of above freezing temps all winter yesterday. Never seen a winter like this with not a single thaw day. Suppose to get cold and storm again friday though so this was just a tease.

xbeeman412
02-20-2014, 10:08 AM
When the Bees start bringing in pollen and queen cells are being made tells Me Spring has sprung.