PDA

View Full Version : First Milsurp... Mosin Nagants follwed me home.

dragon
02-18-2014, 02:51 PM
I have a good friend that is into the local military rifle shoots. Ever since I got interested and started shooting his M1 I have dreamed about a M1917 but alas... the price is just out of my range for a decent one around here. That usually overpriced store that starts with a "C" threw some Mosin 91/30's on sale for $149 this past week and the sad thing is that it wasn't too bad of a price currently.

Well I had to go check them out while in town the other night as I had never even held one before. Of course that was a mistake [smilie=b:

The one I looked at was a 1936 in quite good shape with a good bore that might just need counter bored if groups needed tightened. I resisted the urge and left without it though. That was another mistake. After sleeping on it I decided that I probably wouldn't find as nice of one for that price again in this market so went back to town.

They had of course sold that one and the first one the salesman brought out was a 1943 that had pretty rough machining but the bore was about as good. I had mentioned to him that it could be a fun project to get a pair for my son and I to fix up together but didn't know if I should spend that much. I said that I would really like a pre-war one and asked if he had any more in the back. He said yes and disappeared to the back room. He was gone for quite a while, but after 15-20 minutes he emerged with a great big grin on his face and said he had found the perfect pair for me... uh-oh!

They are getting them with some one per box and also two per box. He opened it up and there was a '26 Tula ex-dragoon (hex receiver) and a '37 Tula. Both had nice sharp rifling except the last inch or so and I couldn't see any major pitting through the dried cosmoline. All numbers matched on both, no crossed out or ground numbers and electro pencil that I could tell, but the really cool thing was that being boxed together they had sequential import serial numbers.

I just couldn't say no to the project so my son is getting HIS first rifle for his 16th birthday, and I spent twice of what I shouldn't have in the first place if you know what I mean:wink:

I had originally figured that I would probably get a pretty beaten up one with forced matched numbers at this point and wouldn't feel too terrible about "making it mine" while still staying in the rules for the local shoots. These two just seem too good to do that too though and I'm not sure that I even want to refinish the stocks. What do you guys think?

I trust most of the youtubers as much as politicians in Washington so I would love any tips on cleaning up and working with the new toys.

Dragon

Hardcast416taylor
02-18-2014, 04:01 PM
The `37 Ivestek (?) M/N I bought about 3 years back at a Dunhams sporting goods store up here set me back $88, and it wasn`t on sale.Robert

dragon
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
I know... I kick myself for missing out on the cheap ones from a couple of years ago. Even the internet suppliers were $130 + shipping :( and then it's luck of the draw. Oh well... hopefully $$ well spent for the time I will spend with my son!

Hang Fire
02-18-2014, 04:19 PM
The `37 Ivestek (?) M/N I bought about 3 years back at a Dunhams sporting goods store up here set me back $88, and it wasn`t on sale.Robert

And what does that have to do with dragon getting his first two MN rifles?

Hang Fire
02-18-2014, 04:53 PM
I know... I kick myself for missing out on the cheap ones from a couple of years ago. Even the internet suppliers were $130 + shipping :( and then it's luck of the draw. Oh well... hopefully $$ well spent for the time I will spend with my son!

And then another 25 or 30 bucks unless you have good bud with a FFL.

Congratulations on getting your first MN rifle for you and your son. If not familiar with cleaning out cosmoline and prepping Combloc weapons for shooting, suggest a little research on the subject would be helpful.

https://www.google.com/#q=cleaning+cosmoline+out+of+mosin+nagant+rifles

If you are going to be firing combloc milsurp in your Mosin Nagant rifles, no matter what some may say, just assume it is corrosive and you will be sure. Cleaning up after firing combloc milsurp ammo is not rocket science, be sure to clean (mop) the bore first with lots of water to dissolve and flush out the corrosive primmer salts, then wipe bore dry and oil it as normal.

https://www.google.com/#q=cleaning+a+rifle+after+firing+corrosive+ammo

dragon
02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks Hang Fire!

I plan to just get brass to reload. I would rather spend my time reloading than cleaning, even though it does take longer. I really like the accuracy improvements I have gotten with my handloads thus far. Seems less wasteful too. Being a rimmed cartridge I am looking forward to some cast boolit, lighter loads for 50 and 100 yds.

nekshot
02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
dragon thats awesome! Time spent with these guns and your son will be forever etched in your mind in years to come. You can never put a price on time with children, at something other than watching videos or the goofy stuff society is trying to stuff down their throats.

I'll Make Mine
02-18-2014, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't put down the 1943 Izhevsk -- I have one that with very minimal, invisible tuning is good for 2 MoA off a rest with iron sights (original rear, Smith Sights front). The Russian arsenals did a fine job of putting their effort where it mattered; the barrel profiling is a little uneven, and the receiver has some rough bits, but the bore is very good and the trigger is quite a bit better than seems common for as-issued pieces. It was $120 locally, two years ago this month, but you've have to wave multiple C-notes at me to get me to consider parting with it...

CastingFool
02-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Congrats on your new project! I usually find that if I handle a firearm I'm interested in, I want it! there fore, when I go to a gun show, I just look!

Junior1942
02-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Re: Reloading. The 174 gr Hornady RN @ .311" or .312" works great in my M-Ns.

petroid
02-18-2014, 07:33 PM

I second this with fears of getting banned for recommending jwords. Hornady also makes a .312 150gr SP if you can find them. I also just found and ordered Hornady .312 150gr SST bullets made specifically for Grafs! Can't wait to get them in. The 123gr .310 SST and SP bullets shoot surprisingly well for being so undersized for these rifles and can make for a lot less recoil at velocities approaching 3000fps.

I'll Make Mine
02-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Mine shoots well with 147 grain surplus light ball, a little better with Silver Bear 174 grain heavy ball equivalent, and better still with 203 gr. JSP Brown Bear. I expect to get down to MoA groups when I have time/money to work up a paper patch boolit load the rifle likes.

kenyerian
02-19-2014, 10:07 AM
I've had a lot of fun with my M/N that was given to me by a friend back in 92. My son loved it and now both of my grandsons enjoy it. I was going to sporterize it but Rob wouldn't let me so I've left it alone. Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun also.

PS mine has shot well with just about everthing we've fed it.

aspangler
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Bought mine three years ago from an internet dealer. (I have a C&R) for $79 plus 20 direct to my door. Looks new and all matching stamped numbers. Mine likes anything you can put in the chamber. Milsurp ammo, jword handloads, and of course Boolits. Enjoy the guns and the time with your son. I just bought and had it put in her name a 22 handgun for my daughter. (34 yo) that was her birthday present this year. Now to get here carry permit. A father with a daughter that likes to shoot is a blessing.

AlaskanGuy
02-19-2014, 12:15 PM
How about a pic or 2 of them new sweethearts??????

dragon
02-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Sure thing AlaskanGuy!

Hey, nice to finally figure out the picture thing ;)

Old Ironsights
02-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Very nice... cool find.

leadman
02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Stock finish looks to be pretty good. This isn't very durable and have easily scratched mine a couple of times so may need to refinish them later. You may find the same with yours.
Don't know if I would trust the original stock finish to any rain. On my Rem. 1903a3 that I was using in matches I used urethane and a good thing since I shot it in the rain a couple of times.

goofyoldfart
03-06-2014, 02:32 AM
@Aspangler : Now about those 2 pretty girls---(your daughter and the .22, please). the more we can get the girls into the game-- the better. congrats! God Bless you and yours. Goofy aka Godfrey.

AlaskanGuy
03-06-2014, 02:54 AM
Very very nice.... If they were mine, i would grab that son of mine and both of you do a nice hand rub job on them stocks.... You dont have to make them glow or nuthin, but your beautiful projects will really be fun if you rub some love into them.... Did you see how my K31 turned out with a bit of rubbed in lovin??? Sounds corney, i know, but aint nuthing like it.... Here are a couple of before and after pics...

98762 98763

Have a go at it... It is just another thing that the 2 of you can do together.... If you wanna know how to go about it, just pm me...

AG

roots911
03-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I've found that most MN's have oversized bores and like a slug in the .313-314 range. I use a NOE 316299 sized to .313 for my 91-30. It will hold better than 2-1/2 inch group at 100 yds all day long. Mine likes about 13-1/2 grains of Red Dot. Nice mild load that you can shoot all day long. A little work with bsome emery cloth will smooth up the action if there are any issues. Lots of info on line how to make the old war horses more friendly. PM me if you would like some 313299's to try. They are gas checked and lubed. Good luck with your new toys.
Frank

petroid
03-06-2014, 05:31 PM
I've had good luck with the Lee C312-185-1R cast from wc coww and dt and PC with HF red. Add gas check and push thru .314 sizer die. Try 13-16 grains 2400 powder

CLAYPOOL
03-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Both that I've bought had/has nasty bores. As for the finish it came off while handling / cleaning the bores. Cleaned up nice on the outside, not so good yet on the inside.

Old Ironsights
03-08-2014, 11:40 PM
I wonder...

Will CT ban my Mosin?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Guns%20and%20Swords/16-Apr-7_zps96b3bce7.jpg