PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with a newly purchased model 94 winchester.

blackangus
02-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Just purchased my first model 94 30-30 and need to purchase dies. Which work best?
I also need suggestions on properly evaluating its condition. It's was made in 61.
Probably needs to be broken down and cleaned completely.
Any thing to look for?

runfiverun
02-18-2014, 02:00 PM
rcbs dies are generally my first choice.

just look for gunk and any odd wear spots, and at the springs of course.
a good mold is the rcbs 30-150 fngc it feeds perfectly in the 94's and the crimp groove is in the correct place.

starmac
02-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Most of mine are rcbs, however I picked up a set of hornadys, and really like the looks of the seater die. They are in a caliber I don't even load for, so can't really recommend them, but I now want to try some.

FergusonTO35
02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Totally happy with my standard Lee dies. They have worked great in a 94, two Marlins, and a Mossberg. I would advise you to add a Williams or Lyman receiver sight if you haven't done so already.

shooting on a shoestring
02-18-2014, 09:21 PM
A vote here for Lyman. I really like their M die. Works great for cast.
If you take your 94 apart, you'll need to know there's a hole in the left side of the reciever that is for a pin punch to move out a pin in the bolt. It once took me over an hour to figure that one out. I haven't taken it apart since then. I doubt many people ever see the insides of a Winchester. The Marlin is defintely the easiest to take apart and put back together. But then I haven't had any need other than curiousity to disassemble my Winchester.

Scharfschuetze
02-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Yikes! I'm still using a set of Bair 30/30 dies from the 60s.

While the above sentence isn't too important to you; this probably will be: Before you completely take it apart, get a good disassembly guide for the Model 94. The NRA book is good, but there are a couple of weapon specific pamphlets out there that will suffice. Perhaps just a can of "Remclean" will suffice for your needs. As noted in the post above, Marlins are a piece of cake; Winchesters are a bit more complicated. While John Browning designed some simple weapons like the Browning series of machine guns (1917, 1919 and M2) and the 1911, his BAR, Auto-5 and Model 94 can be a challenge.

By the way, congrats on picking up that Pre-64 Model 94. They're as good as money in the bank.

bob208
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
I have many 94's about 25 plus. I have only taken one a part. all I can say is if it is not broken don't. the most I do now is take off the butstock open the action and spray it with break free or what ever. let it drop dry. then spray with a good oil wipe down and put wood back on.

TXGunNut
02-19-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm quite impressed by the RCBS Cowboy die sets, they include a case mouth expander much like the Lyman M-type. Very attractive finish as well. Have a set in 32-20 and 32 Special, ordered a "replacement" expander for my thutty-thutty to get more use out of the 32WS expander die body.

MtGun44
02-20-2014, 12:41 AM
HUGE fan of Hornady New Dimension dies due to their superior benchrest type seater
with a floating insert to align the boolit better. Other makers charge double for their
'benchrest dies', yet Hornady does it as the standard die set, even pistols. In their
carbide pistol sets, the TiN sizing ring will actually POLISH your brass as it is sized,
they are that smooth.

Bill

blackangus
02-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Thank you again. Will remove stock, spray like heck with cleaner, drip dry, spray with lube, wipe down and shoot.

Hickok
02-20-2014, 04:35 PM
I really like the Lyman dies when loading cast boolits.

I have a 94' that was made in 1948. I only wish it could talk, I would love to hear the hunting stories. The bluing was worn on the receiver where it was carried in the hand, but no rust, and well taken care of.