PDA

View Full Version : Remington R51 breech lock

kens
02-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Has anyonr seen a breakdown on the new R51?
There is several videos on the internet.
The first thing I noticed is that the breech block, appears to be quite similar to a SKS bolt asembly.
I thought that strange since SKS is gas operated. But, could it be possible that the R51 slide acts as the bolt carrier of the SKS?
The R51 is a Pederson design circa 1918. Is it possible that the beloved Kalisnikov design had it roots in the Pederson 51?

leftiye
02-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Similar. Pederson designed the Remington a half century before the Russians and the Chinks made that other boat anchor though. SKS gas piston accelerated bolt carrier to rear unlocking bolt. Slide on Remington accelerates to rear via recoil unlocking bolt - which slides up a ramp unlocking bolt. Same idea. CZ 57 (?) and FN 49, and FAL have same principle to their actions. The Remington portends to be a very accurate defense gun due to low muzzle flip due to small distance barrel is above hand (trigger). The kalashnikov has a rotary bolt with locking lugs, the others have tipping bolts and the bolt itself is the locking factor (no lugs).

kens
02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
I got a SKS, and it is a tipping bolt, not rotary.
The bolt tips down into the bottom of the reciever for lock up.

FergusonTO35
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
That R51 looks really cool.

scattershot
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Good review by Ol' Jeff on Gunblasts.com.

Multigunner
02-19-2014, 07:15 PM
The Pederson design relies on the cartridge case, by blowback, pushing the breech face back about 1/16 of an inch which imparts inertia that then moves the slide back far enough to unlock the mechanism. Its a hesitation blowback design staying locked only long enough for the bullet to nearly clear the muzzle before unlocking so the blowback forces are reduced in pressure and of very short duration.

From older literature they mentioned that the action depended on the case of cartridges suited to the action being able to stretch 1/32"-1/16" without separating.

Multigunner
02-19-2014, 07:17 PM
The SKS is a Siminov design not a Kalishnikov design. The action of the SKS is a scaled down version of one previously used for a semi auto anti-tank rifle.