PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this---

oneokie
12-17-2007, 01:12 AM
After looking a numerous sites in my quest for a replacement barrel for my 1894 Winchester in 38-55 and not having any luck, this idea popped up.

Why couldn't a person take a barrel like the octagon Wind River and mill the breech end down to a straight taper to match the rest of the barrel? Have heard that doing so will cause problems due to stress. Any suggestions?

Another idea, what would be the downside to using a bolt action barrel and turning the breech-chamber area down in the same manner for a round barrel?

Buckshot
12-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Another idea, what would be the downside to using a bolt action barrel and turning the breech-chamber area down in the same manner for a round barrel?

............None. I had The Montana Rifleman duplicate the barrel on a 1884 Trapdoor I'd bought for a song that had a trashed barrel. They have a tracer lathe and can use the original to make an exact duplicate of the old one. I had them D&T for original rear sights, chamber and fit the action. They did a superb job.

The returned barreled action dropped right into the stock and the barrel bands slide right on. The only bad part was waiting. I'm terrible about that. IIRC it took maybe a month to get it back.

..............Buckshot

oneokie
12-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Buckshot wrote:

They have a tracer lathe and can use the original to make an exact duplicate of the old one.

Doing this does not induce or release stress in the barrel? Gunsmiths that I have asked about this in the past say that it is not a good thing.

Char-Gar
12-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I am not Buckshot..but.. I do have some thoughts on turning barrels in a lathe. There is a right way and several wrong ways to set up a barrel for turning. Barrel turning when done right, does not harm the shooting quality of the barrel. Barrel turning when done wrong, can harm the shooting quality of the barrel.

It is all about the skill and care of the workman. There are many folk who call themselves gunsmith who do not posses the skill or take the time necessary to do it right. There are some who do.

Scrounger
12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
The easiest way to make that mistake is to take metal off too fast; that builds up too much heat and can warp the barrel. Take a little off and let the barrel cool, then a little more. You can turn the barrel in 10 minutes and ruin it, or take 2 hours and do it right.

Trailblazer
12-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Any button rifled barrel is contoured after rifling. Hart, Shilen, Lilja, and Douglas for example are all button rifled and then contoured. They seem to shoot OK.

e15cap
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Green Mountain Barrels makes replacement barrels for that rifle. Very good shooters too.
Roger

McLintock
12-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Brownell's carries Wind River octogon barrels made for lever actions and include a .38 cal. one for 38-55's. Put one in my '94 and it shoots very good, especially with black powder. No use going to that extra milling or lathe work when good ones are already available as mentioned with the Green Mountain ones above; Badger Barrels makes them also.
McLintock

C A Plater
12-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I got one from GPC to convert my mid 70s vintage 94 from a .30-30 that wouldn't shoot worth spit to .38-55. A quick check shows they are still listed at:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=882400&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

oneokie
12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the responses.