PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight for Rossi 92

Airman Basic
02-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Got one of Steves sights that replace the safety ordered. Meanwhile, what's the best way to remove the existing buckhorn sight? Also, moving the front sight to make elevation adjustments? Thanks for any help.

junkpile
02-17-2014, 09:42 PM
if it's the peep I'm looking at, it's adjustable for elevation. Drift out the old sight with a brass pin and a hammer. Drift the front sight for windage.

Airman Basic
02-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Anything special to use for the drifting? Yeah, brain fart on the front sight. Should say windage. Don't have a brass drift. Anything 'round the house I can use or need a gunsmith tool.

junkpile
02-17-2014, 10:14 PM
You don't need a special tool. Stop by an auto parts store or a hardware store and get a brass rod or a brass punch. You need something softer than the steel the sight is made from, so it doesn't get damaged. Brass is best. And it's easy to find. Just make sure it's actually brass. There are probably some other options out there that I don't know about.

snaketail
02-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Tap the sight out from left to right - left as you look down the barrel. Go the same way when you replace it, or put a blank in the dovetail slot (left to right).

pietro
02-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Anything special to use for the drifting? Yeah, brain fart on the front sight. Should say windage. Don't have a brass drift. Anything 'round the house I can use or need a gunsmith tool.

Take it from another Airman Basic (when I enlisted in 1962):

I've long used a hinge pin from a common househole interior door hinge as a sight drift pin (over 40 years), with zero issues.

Be sure that whatever the front/rear sight is mounted in, beit in a ramp or directly in the barrel, is solidly supported before drifting - that means no "hands on the kitchen table", w/o a 2nd person holding the gun.

Before drift-adjusting a sight for windage, apply a small piece of yellow masking tape immediately in front or rear of the sight, then place a pencil mark on the tape inline with the edge of the sight - so that you can readily see exactly how much movement you've given it.

Any front sight windage adjustment with the bolt-top peep sight should be minimal (less than 1/8"), since the peep mounted directly over the firing pin, inline with the bore C/L.

You should fill the empty rear sight barrel dovetail slot, either with a commercial blank ($7) or file your own from an old longleaf rear sight.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0461.jpg

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0466.jpg

Airman Basic
02-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Just wondering, do you need the slot blank, other than looks?

pietro
02-19-2014, 02:44 PM

If the female dovetail's left unfilled, it'll not only look like bubba/junque, the empty slot could accumulate junk ,and/or the dovetail top edge(s) might catch/cut a finger during fast handling while hunting.

If the rear bbl sight's left in situ, or switched out to a folder, you'll be hard-pressed to obtain a clean sight picture through the peep sight, if any.

KLR
02-19-2014, 07:59 PM
I've long used a hinge pin from a common househole interior door hinge as a sight drift pin (over 40 years), with zero issues.

You should fill the empty rear sight barrel dovetail slot, either with a commercial blank ($7) or file your own from an old longleaf rear sight.

Great ideas, and the sight filler looks great.

cainttype
02-19-2014, 11:18 PM
If the need arises while you are without your punches, a brass penny (or the rim of a casing) can be used as a drifting tool...The lowly penny can serve as a scope adjustment tool, makeshift drift, and occasional screwdriver. Can't beat it for the price. :)