PDA

View Full Version : Got the Red Out! Now, How do I keep it out?

Themoose
02-17-2014, 08:16 PM
No, I didn't use Visine! I spent the afternoon cleaning out three pots.... yes, I'm a "ladler" have a couple bottom pours, but had issues with casting bullets over 400 grains and haven't gone back... Anyway, after scraping, soaking, wire brushing, rinsing, soaking in vinegar, rinsing...the pots are clean... no red or brown oxide left(at least to my aging eyes)... now...how do I keep it out? I've heard Marvelux may be the culprit, but that is what I have always used to flux.. when I smelt and when I cast... I want to learn and am open to change, that is why I joined this forum. I do not empty my pots between casting sessions and prefer to keep them 2/3 to 3/4 full, thinking that it will minimize any oxidation(probably a fantasy, but my habit). Is there anything I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

TheMoose

Wayne Smith
02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Switch to stainless steel! Seriously, if you are using cast iron it is causing some of the rust.

Themoose
02-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Wayne,

Rust isn't the problem... looks like something else... it was thicker than rust and definitely a buildup... lead oxide? or flux with ?.

TheMoose

Bent Ramrod
02-18-2014, 06:35 PM
There is one form of lead oxide that looks orange, like rust. They used to call it "red lead" or "minium" in the old days. It seems to form no matter what happens when you melt lead in the presence of air. Fluxing should keep it out of your castings, and, since it is not any degradation of the pot itself, I just keep the metal fluxed and ignore it otherwise.

Lead
05-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Mine has done it but never any issues with it an the marvels will cause rust when dries.