PDA

View Full Version : Lead Score

thekidd76
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Got a hit today on a want ad I run on a local forum. With all the snow in the area, I haven't got to weigh it yet, but picked up what looks like a 5 ft x 4 ft sheet of crumpled up lead sheeting that was removed from under a tub in a bathroom remodel. It feels like it's close to 30 pounds. I got it for $15, so I'm happy with that. I don't have any experience with lead sheeting like this..anything special I should be concerned with?

RogerDat
02-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Well yes lead is dangerous, you don't want that around your house. But don't worry someone will be along shortly to offer and take it off your hands.
From what people have said lead sheeting is generally pretty much plain lead, so as scrap it is a "known" lead for mixing with WW or other alloys. Good find and a good price too.

Dusty Bannister
02-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Quite often with shower pans and other flat lead sheets used with water exposure, you will have a white oxide. This is lead oxide and adequate dust protection is needed. Otherwise it is nearly pure soft lead, unless there are soldered joints. Not a bad price, and a good start. Smelt it down and mark the ingots well and keep looking for more.

RogerDat
02-17-2014, 09:17 PM
good point Dusty on the white oxide. I should remind myself of that when out scrap hunting and digging through stuff.

thekidd76
02-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info on the lead sheeting guys.

jsizemore
02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
When it's liquid try not to get any on ya.

runfiverun
02-18-2014, 02:31 AM
cut it into pieces you can stack in your smelting pot and melt it from the cold state.
do each batch this way and don't try adding more to the pot.