PDA

View Full Version : An aside, PC related

mdi
02-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Looking around at small compressors. Does anyone know where Craftsman compressors are made? Sears has one on sale I might want. Looked at a couple small 2 gal. compressors but they were made in China and I want to buy USA...

Floydster
02-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Good luck!,,,,

fcvan
02-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Dewalt states their compressors are made in the USA with global materials. Seems that's about like a lot of corporations these days.

bangerjim
02-18-2014, 01:38 AM
I have used that small pancake HF compressor for years and it works very well for the ES gun. I did have to replace the automatic switch last year, as the diaphragm they use is made of what appeared to be un-vulcanized rubber and it rotted! Spent more on the Square D switch than the compressor cost 4 years ago! The new switch was "Hecho en Mexico"! So much for USA.

But it does a good job.

It is nice and honorable to want to buy USA, but we live in a global society today! I own and run an engineering firm and of the 10 or so lines we have, only are 2 are actually 100% made here. All others are foreign made or shipped here in foreign made parts and assembled here. Same thing as being built across the pond in my book.

Good luck finding a reasonably priced USA unit!!!!!

banger

mdi
02-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Some companies get around the "Made in USA" labeling by getting their product made overseas, and a final inspection done in US. I'm not normally a political kinda guy, but I have the time to look around, and buy US. I know the "China Junk" is not applicable on every product made overseas and some will last as long as any, but I just wanna do my part...

Sears has a 3 gal. compressor on sale for $99.00 that will deliver 3.7 (I think) cfm, which will work most of my air tools and of course a powder coat gun...

I found about a dozen American made compressors, some small pancake, some with 2-4 gal. tanks. I'm not normally a political kinda guy, and I can't influence any politicians, nor get the attention of any major manufacturer, but I can "vote with my dollars". I live in a small town and also like to buy locally, if I can, which is why I asked about Craftsman compressors, we have a small Sears in town. My choices may or may not have any effect on a "global economy" but I feel good about doing my part...

popper
02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Almost all brand names are outsourced now, using the same parts. Most all tools are manufactured by a few large conglomerate and sold under different labels. Made in USA refers to the finally assy., packing & shipping of the product, per legal regulation. Same as guns.

dbosman
02-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Everything popper said is true, but...
The quality of the plastics and metal is specified by the buyer. Some do their work and specify precisely. Some merely say ship 10,000 at $x.xx price.

OuchHot!
02-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Rolair are very fine (and they don't give them away) compressors and clicking on the "country of origin" tab will give you some honest info on where assembled and such.
http://www.rolair.net/products/hand_carry/index.html