PDA

View Full Version : Pin-on Muzzle Brake for AK... have ya'll seen this before? and is it worth trying?

Animal
02-17-2014, 06:05 PM
My Wasr 10 doesn't have a threaded muzzle. I've decided to leave well enough alone and not risk doing any damage to my rifle by attempting this myself. My local armorer doesn't want to do it either because removing the barrel, getting it on the lathe and finding the appropriate die doesn't seem to be profitable. However, one of the fellas there suggested a 'pin-on' muzzle brake like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Muzzle-Brake-Short-Pin-On-Small/dp/B007Y9Q95A/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1392673783&sr=8-43&keywords=muzzle+brake+ak

My goal is to achieve better accuracy with rapid fire.

What do ya think?

zuke
02-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Might make cleaning after firing corrosive ammo a bit tricky

Blammer
02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
na, just flush with water well and you'll be fine for cleaning.

No, I don't think that one will help you with accuracy in rapid fire. I would get the slant break.

Multigunner
02-18-2014, 01:18 PM
I'll have to cut the tack weld on my muzzle nut in order to correct the canted front sight base.
Been putting that off because I didn't know if my muzzle was threaed or not.
Been thinking on it and I cant see that not having either flash hider or nut in place would cause any problem other than there being nothing for the plunger to engage.
Would that plunger stay in place without the nut?

Once I get the nut off I'll know if I have threads, but I really don't care about a flash hider or brake other than cosmetics, the rifle shoots just fine as is.

badge176
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Multigunner- that plunger (faces forward and engaged notches in thread-on muzzle devices so the don't spin themselves off) should already be retained by a cross pin throng hit that front sight block. The pin itself, when removed, has a section that is milled away so it can move in and out against the spring behind it but not launch itself out the front...

badge176
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Animal- measure the outside diameter of your AK muzzle to see if there is enough metal there to thread (1x14mm left handed). If their is, then purchase or rent a thread alignment tool (turned spud that fist just into the muzzle and has section of thread at end that stays outside the end of the barrel (think Die 'starter'/ aligner) and the die (and die wrench). If the existing OD is right then it's light cutting oil and an hour or less of set up and patient hand work to thread it!

Check out an AK forum or youTube... I know the threads are out there, just don't have time to look me up 4 U

badge176
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
The pin-on ones tend to rattle on the end of the barrel- cant be good for accuracy but might help with recoil