PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered the Barnes T-EZ. Wow. Great in the Encore

Twanger
02-17-2014, 05:41 PM
I was a bad boy and loaned my stainless Encore 209X50 out. Got it back soaking wet and having been stored in the case for 3 months. It was rusted so bad that I could barely open it.

Sooooooo, I tore it completely down, except for the trigger, cleaned it and put it all back together again. Trigger seems good, but I probably should send it to a gunsmith.

Anyhoo...

This gave me a good reason to go to the range and try to get it zeroed again, or at least close... and see if the barrel was still ok. It looked ok.

My granddaughter just got her hunter's safety card, so I was looking to also find a light recoiling load she could shoot. Brought some 30grain triple-seven pellets, 200 grain shockwaves, and some Barnes Spit-fire T-EZ 250 grain copper bullets. The idea was to put one of these bullets over 60grains of powder for a 50-yard load that had mild recoil.

Both had very light recoil.

The shockwaves shot terribly. It was spraying them into 4-inches at 50 yards.

So I switched to the Barnes TEZ and tweaked the scope knobs a couple of times and then, running out of time, decided to shoot three to see how it grouped.

I was stunned. The very first 3-shot group with this load printed under 1/2-inch at 50-yards!!! We have a winner!

I can't wait to see how this bullet performs with 80-100 grains of powder. This could be my new favorite load if it holds together with a bit more powder.

Here's a pic. The three-shot group is the single hole on the top right of the bullseye with the bullet and pellets on the left side.

The barrel accuracy seems no worse for wear after sitting wet for 3 months. Gotta love stainless.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/barnes1.jpg

leftiye
02-18-2014, 09:46 AM
I had a friend borrow my .58 Hawken (with custom oil finish and hand cut checkering) and beat it half to death. Thank heaven for the stainless barrel. I won't loan anything to him again.

mark2935
02-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Glad you could save the gun. My encore loves the 250gr. shockwave and hates the powerbelts. My buddy's encore is just the opposite. Go figure.

Mark#35

Double B
02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
You will be happy with terminal performance too. Recovered bullets look exactly like the one on the package. Currently my favorite.